--

AL3X

LOL ! What a post... O.o

I was just asking what will happen if I make the program to reduce de RAM used by all processes xD

Well Sam probably knows where I'm coming from, and decided to elicit a more general response from me. Anyhow, I got a chance to vent in a more general fashion, and I will probably withdraw back into some area of concern I have more control over, like programming.

But AL3X, based on what I have heard - you can use _ReduceMemory on some of your windowed applications - it's okay. It is no sacrilege against the DLL saints.

@AL3X - good question.

@Sam - good question.

Das Häschen benutzt Radar

LOL ! What a post... O.o

I was just asking what will happen if I make the program to reduce de RAM used by all processes xD

Hi!

Maybe I can answer you :D

This procedure is just temporarily reducing the amount of used physical memory (=RAM). Temporarily, because the first time the processes reuse their memory again, it will be swapped back from the hard-disk to the RAM (of course a time-consuming procedure). So, the only situation in which this procedure gives you a benefit, is when a process has much memory which isn't used anymore (maybe because of a programming error, i don't know). But be assured, every modern operating system will detect this automatically (-> Wikipedia: Page Replacement Algorithm). So simply let Windows do it's work.

And by the way: Why do you wan't to reduce RAM usage? You paid for it, so let your programs exploit your RAM as much as possible :P

To Squirrely1:

<irony>

You're right about Microsoft, but you're missing the greater picture. Intel and AMD are in there as well.

So regardless of whether you're switching to Linux or Mac, you have no chance to escape the great conspiracy.

</irony>

Seriously, please be sure to understand before you post. There's no such thing as "defragging memory", and "compressing the script" doesn't help at all.

Hi!

This procedure is just temporarily reducing the amount of used physical memory (=RAM). Temporarily, because the first time the processes reuse their memory again, it will be swapped back from the hard-disk to the RAM (of course a time-consuming procedure). So, the only situation in which this procedure gives you a benefit, is when a process has much memory which isn't used anymore (maybe because of a programming error, i don't know). But be assured, every modern operating system will detect this automatically (-> Wikipedia: Page Replacement Algorithm). So simply let Windows do it's work.

And by the way: Why do you wan't to reduce RAM usage? You paid for it, so let your programs exploit your RAM as much as possible :P

To Squirrely1:

<irony>

You're right about Microsoft, but you're missing the greater picture. Intel and AMD are in there as well.

So regardless of whether you're switching to Linux or Mac, you have no chance to escape the great conspiracy.

</irony>

Seriously, please be sure to understand before you post. There's no such thing as "defragging memory", and "compressing the script" doesn't help at all.

@France - I am happy that were are in substantial agreement as concerns the truly weighty matters. And you reference, Wikipedia on Page Replacement Algorithm was both enlightening and inspiring.

If I were a gambling man, though, I would wager that if I were to turn off my paging file, _ReduceMemory would still lower the amoung of RAM my program uses. And one can buy a particular program I know of, probably written in VB, called System Mechanic that has a memory defragger. If you assume Microsoft is zealously mindful about how your data is stored and maintained, consider this:

1. Forty-three percent of computer users loose desired computer data every year.

2. Windows Disk Defragmenter - If you drive is more than eighty-five percent full, that defragger won't work at all - over Christmas I tried to defrag my aging step-father's newer-model laptop that has XP on it, and the drive was only seventy percent full and for trying all night long, I could do little to improve the fragmentation of all that data.

But France's exploitation of the possiblities of nuclear power seems to have helped the people of France proper, and what about that new leader of their national government? He has some truly august new poetry for the citizens of that country.

happy defragging !

Das Häschen benutzt Radar

If I were a gambling man, though, I would wager that if I were to turn off my paging file, _ReduceMemory would still lower the amoung of RAM my program uses.

You can check the memory used by your processes in the task manager. Choose "VM Size" in View/Columns and you will see the virtual memory occupied by your processes. You will notice that the total of used memory (RAM+VM) isn't affected by _ReduceMemory.

Check also the posts on "Firefox Ultimate Optimizer", especially the "VM Size" in the task manager. This optimizer uses the same function "EmptyWorkingSet", which as we have noted is the main function of _ReduceMemory.

And one can buy a particular program I know of, probably written in VB, called System Mechanic that has a memory defragger. If you assume Microsoft is zealously mindful about how your data is stored and maintained, consider this:

Since RAM (= random access memory) does not have seeking times like a hard-disk, it would make no sense to defragmentate memory because of speed.

But you're right, maybe this program was useful for Windows ME or prior, where a kind of memory "fragmentation" would limit the amount of contiguous free memory. In Windows XP (and of course Linux/Unix/etc.) this kind of fragmentation can't occur because of the concept of pages. I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my post.

1. Forty-three percent of computer users loose desired computer data every year.

As they say: "84.5% of all statistics are entirely fictitious" :D

But seriously, what does this have to do with the current topic?

Hi!

To Squirrely1:

<irony>

</irony>

Thanks for the answer ;)

I was just wondering what will happen... Yes, I have 2gb RAM so I'll let the processes to use it xD :P