Scite commands on unsaved file

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Developers

What would this consist of? A couple of DLL calls or adding to controls?

Just download the SciTE & scintilla source from the scintilla.cvs.sourceforge.net CVS library and all you need to do is:

1. Updating the SciTEWin::SaveAsDialog() function to call ChooseSaveName() using the default extension set in SciTEGlobal.properties for "default.file.ext"

2. Figure out how to translate it to : "AutoIt3 Script (.au3)\0*.au3\0" to set the Filter in the FilePath structure used by GetSaveFileName().

2. Add the default ext to the FilePath structure which currently isn't done.

3. properly test the modification.

4. Check if you didn't mess up compiling for GTK.

5. submit the changes to Neil and hope he likes what you've done for inclusion.

... thats all (I think, but haven't tested it all yet) ... . :)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Jos, I don't really agree with that approach. I suppose one could over-load the "open.filter" property to populate the Save As filter (instead of adding an entirely new property). However, I do not agree about using "default.file.ext". While it may be a little bit harder, it's much more useful to deduce the file extension from the first extension in the active filter. Just using "default.file.ext" isn't good enough because not everybody is going to use a "useful" file extension. Also, there is already precedence with the Open File dialog with what filter should be set to default, so it should really be simple to do this.

Anyway, I guess I'm going to have to do this myself to ensure it gets done in the most intuitive way which is similar to Visual Studio 2008. Visual Studio 2008 automatically appends the first extension in the selected filter if the file does not contain an extension specified in the filter. So, for example, having the previously shown C++ filter active and typing "foo.bar" will produce the file "foo.bar.cc". However, typing "foo.tlh" will produce the file "foo.tlh" since the specified extension is in the selected filter.

I'll take a look at it later. I was hoping to work on Au3Check but meh.

• Developers

Jos, I don't really agree with that approach. I suppose one could over-load the "open.filter" property to populate the Save As filter (instead of adding an entirely new property). However, I do not agree about using "default.file.ext". While it may be a little bit harder, it's much more useful to deduce the file extension from the first extension in the active filter. Just using "default.file.ext" isn't good enough because not everybody is going to use a "useful" file extension. Also, there is already precedence with the Open File dialog with what filter should be set to default, so it should really be simple to do this.

Anyway, I guess I'm going to have to do this myself to ensure it gets done in the most intuitive way which is similar to Visual Studio 2008. Visual Studio 2008 automatically appends the first extension in the selected filter if the file does not contain an extension specified in the filter. So, for example, having the previously shown C++ filter active and typing "foo.bar" will produce the file "foo.bar.cc". However, typing "foo.tlh" will produce the file "foo.tlh" since the specified extension is in the selected filter.

I'll take a look at it later. I was hoping to work on Au3Check but meh.

Understood you wanted a different approach and that's why I stated not to hold your breath. The above scenario is what I looked at ones for the "lite" version and played with a bit. It was just to give an idea of what could be done and where to look.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I've just detailed my idea to the SciTE list to solicit Neil for feedback before I start work. I want to make sure he's on board with the idea before I spend the time to do it. We'll see what Neil says.

Hi,

sounds good. One other question. Is it possible to avoid the dialog : Save changes to (Untitled)?

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Neil isn't crazy about my idea. I'm not crazy about implementing anything but my idea because I don't like the alternative approaches. However, I've just learned, and subsequently pointed out to Neil, what I suggest is rather common behavior. I tried Notepad and it even does what I want to add to SciTE. We'll see.

As expected, Neil rejected my idea. Apparently he doesn't want a Windows application to respect Windows conventions. I think he's been an idiot through this process and I won't be contributing to official SciTE again after this experience which has been far less than sensible. No matter, Jos and I have already discussed it, and we will just distribute our own version of SciTE. Expect to see what is Windows standard behavior in an upcoming version of SciTE4AutoIt.

As expected, Neil rejected my idea. Apparently he doesn't want a Windows application to respect Windows conventions. I think he's been an idiot through this process and I won't be contributing to official SciTE again after this experience which has been far less than sensible. No matter, Jos and I have already discussed it, and we will just distribute our own version of SciTE. Expect to see what is Windows standard behavior in an upcoming version of SciTE4AutoIt.

Ah ok. He rejected my feature request belonging to this topic long time ago without giving any reason.

So going a way without him seems to be the only way.

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Ah ok. He rejected my feature request belonging to this topic long time ago without giving any reason.

So going a way without him seems to be the only way.

Mega

He seems to have some personal issue against a usable Save As dialog. I would find it very hard to believe that I was the first person to ever offer to implement some more functionality into it, yet, there it sits, blank as a canvas. His reasons to me seemed rather personal and not "in the best interest of the user". As I tried to convey to him, what I'm adding is completely optional and it's perfectly possible to retain the existing behavior. Further, it's logical. What's the point in having filters in a Save As dialog anyway, if they don't do something clever like automatically append file extensions based on the active filter? Yet, he'd rather have nothing at all but a blank dialog than have one that *optionally* does something *he* has personal qualms with, despite it being standard Windows behavior. Once I figured out how to get GetSaveFileName() to automatically do what I wanted, my changes would have been 3 lines of new code and shuffling around 20 or so lines of existing code I needed to re-use. So the feature is new, optional, small changes, rather idiot-proof changes, Windows standard behavior and generally useful... and he doesn't want it. His loss, not ours.

Be's become fixated on a single point. But you know what? He's wrong, and I'm wrong. When you type in a *KNOWN* file extension, the Save As dialog uses whatever extension you give it (This is a little different than what I thought). When you type in an unknown file extension, it automatically appends the extension from the active filter. I suspected this was the case based on a sentence or two I had read, but the documentation on this is actually not very clear. Shows how much he knows, or anybody else that posted in that thread, however. As I've mentioned several times, this is *standard* behavior... yet none of these people knew it even existed (including me). So a bit of common sense, which Neil seems to have turned off for the last few days, should have popped up and said "you know, if this is standard and I didn't know about it, maybe it's not as bad as I think". But that didn't happen, instead he pissed me off with his behavior and so I choose not to deal with him any longer.

Fair play Valik! I can see completely where you are coming from. The rest of Windows follows this, so why doesn't SciTE? It's a good editor broken by this one thing..

Ehh, it's broken by several minor things, actually. I've seen a few cases where short-sightedness has limited the potential. I think Jos and I have proven that SciTE's capable of doing some really cool stuff when you stop looking at it as "a simple demonstration of Scintilla".

• Developers

Test version is available in the beta_SciTE4AutoIt3 directory so you can have a look at what's been changed.

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/..._SciTE4AutoIt3/

Download both SciTE.exe and SciTEGlobal.properties to the SciTE directory and away you go... :)

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.