Array variable problem

I'm having a very strange problem.

When I use a variable for array elements, I get an error. If I use a plain old value, it works fine. Look below on the line that says ;PROBLEM AREA

That is generating the error. If I replace the two $count variables with zero (which is what count is equal to), the error goes away.

Am I going nuts, or what? My workaround was just putting the number in..the only problem is..this is was in a loop, so I had to write more code.

So, to repeat myself briefly:

Using $count in the "PROBLEM AREA" generates an error. Change where it says $count to 0, and it works fine. WTFBBQ.

#include <Array.au3>

;takes in an 8-bit binary number and returns the decimal equivalent.
;Note: If used for raw values, be sure to pass inside quotations so that leftmost zeroes are not truncated
Func BinToDec($Input)

Dim $Output = ""

$num = stringsplit($Input,"")
    _arraydelete($num,0)

$base = 128 ;value of the bit the loop starts on.
    $count = 0
    while $count < 8
        If $num[$count] = 1 Then
            $Output += $base ;if the bit in question is a 1, it adds $base
        EndIf

$base /= 2 ;divides base in half for the next bit
        $count += 1 ;moves onto the next bit
    WEnd

;if $Input was all zeroes, sets $Input to 0
    If $Output = "" Then
        $Output = 0
    EndIf

Return ($Output)

EndFunc

Dim $ArrayOfBinaryNums[8] = ["10000000","11000000","11000000","11111111","00000000","00000000","00000000","00000000"]
Dim $DecimalVersion[8]

$count = 0
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
$DecimalVersion[$count] = BinToDec($ArrayOfBinaryNums[$count]) ;PROBLEM AREA
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

By the way, all the function does is just convert those binary numbers to decimal. I couldn't find a predefined function so I made my own ghetto version.

The "binary number" you are passing is a text string. So be careful with typing inside your function:

#include <Array.au3> ; Only for _ArrayDisplay()

;takes in an 8-bit binary number and returns the decimal equivalent.
;Note: If used for raw values, be sure to pass inside quotations so that leftmost zeroes are not truncated
Func BinToDec($Input)

Local $Output = 0

$num = stringsplit($Input,"")
    If $num[0] <> 8 Then
        MsgBox(16, "Error", "Invalid input to function: " & $Input)
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf

For $n = 1 To $num[0]
        If $num[$n] = "1" Then $Output += (2 ^ (8 - $n))
    Next    

Return $Output
EndFunc

Dim $ArrayOfBinaryNums[8] = ["10000000","11000000","11000000","11111111","00000000","00000000","00000000","00000000"]
Dim $DecimalVersion[Ubound($ArrayOfBinaryNums)]

For $count = 0 To Ubound($ArrayOfBinaryNums) - 1
    $DecimalVersion[$count] = BinToDec($ArrayOfBinaryNums[$count])
Next

_ArrayDisplay($DecimalVersion, "Results: $DecimalVersion")

Not tested, 'cause I'm on a Mac right now.

:D

Edit: Tweaked bug per next post.

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

:D Same error:

C:\Documents and Settings\Nevin Festger\Desktop\test.au3 (26) : ==> Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.:

^ ERROR

Fixed the same way, too. I see you changed things around a bit, I'll take a look at it later. Looks a bit smaller :D

Edited by Nevin

:D Same error:

C:\Documents and Settings\Nevin Festger\Desktop\test.au3 (26) : ==> Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.:

^ ERROR

Fixed the same way, too. I see you changed things around a bit, I'll take a look at it later. Looks a bit smaller :)

Oops... :D

Just take the "- 1" off the declaration of the $DecimalVersion array so it will be the same size. Should be:

Dim $DecimalVersion[Ubound($ArrayOfBinaryNums)]

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

What are you talking about? There is no -1 on the declaration, that's on the loop counter. :D

The reason it is giving that error is the same wacky bug that I get on my version. Since you don't think it's strange, I am thinking it may be some kind of bug in the language.

What are you talking about? There is no -1 on the declaration, that's on the loop counter. :D

The reason it is giving that error is the same wacky bug that I get on my version. Since you don't think it's strange, I am thinking it may be some kind of bug in the language.

No. I had it wrong, was getting your error, and fixed it. I also tested it, and the fix makes it work fine. The broken declaration looked like this:

Dim $DecimalVersion[ubound($ArrayOfBinaryNums) - 1]

The fixed version looks like this:

Dim $DecimalVersion[ubound($ArrayOfBinaryNums)]

Note the "Dim" key word, which is not part of a loop control.

Ohhhh, didn't notice you edited the old post. Gotcha. Thanks for the working version.

So, why didn't mine work? :D

You were mixing text string and numeric variables, and trying to do math with both.