Compiled Script File Version

The AutoIT script compiler sets the version of the executable file to the version of the compiler, 3.2.12.0 in my case. The result is that all scripts receive the same version, even if they have been updated.

This is undesirable because my installer, MS Visual 2008, refuses to install a versioned file over the top of another file with the same version.

Is there a way to change this behavior of the AutoIT compiler?

It would be fine if the output executable simply had no version number at all.

James

AutoIt compilation does no version checking ever to my knowledge. The source is deleted and replaced with a new compile. If the compile fails then you may end up with no source executable at all thus the deletion factor.

Explorer at times may show you that a file is not updated even though it has been and you sometimes can do strange things to try to refresh the view but it can still lie to you. But I am quite sure that AutoIt does no fancy version checking.

If you try Scite4AutoIt3, which can changes the resources well, then you may get different results perhaps.

:)

Edit:

Pardon me, welcome to the AutoIt forums :)

Edited by MHz

Yes, thanks, the picture shows the version. If you use the full Scite4AutoIt3 installer, then adding your own version resources can take place and the AutoIt version can be left out/removed/overwritten or how ever Jos manages do it with AutoItWrapper. The resources can be customized with Scite4AutoIt3 as linked previously or on the download page.

:)

[Thank you for your second answer.

If I understand you, your are proposing that I use a different installer to install the compiled script.

This is not a very good solution for me. The script is a tiny part of a large system. I do not want to ask my users to deal with 2 installers, nor do I want to change the installer for the rest of the system.

James

OK, I think I have found a workable answer, though slightly clunky.

If I distribute autoit3.exe and the script source, the installation should go fine.

Then I can ask my users to run atoit3.exe and then select the script source file.

This will work, at the slight cost of intimidating some of my users ( users are so easily intimidated ).

If anyone knows how to prevent the AutoIT compiler always setting ITS version on MY scripts, please let me know.

James

If I understand you, your are proposing that I use a different installer to install the compiled script.

Not a different compiler, but a wrapper that does custom resource handling on the bin (interpreter) file prior to compilation with Aut2Exe so your version tab will show details different to the standard details you get with using Aut2Exe used alone. I am not trying to make you befriend your trusty IDE :) .