Script Decompilation Poll

DaveF

Please vote for your primary concerns regarding decompiling scripts.  

123 members have voted

1. 1. My Biggest Concern About My Script Being Decompiled Is:

• People within my organization stealing my ideas/intellectual property.
    • People within my organization obtaining privileged info/passwords.
    • People outside my organization stealing my ideas/intellectual property.
    • People outside my organization obtaining privileged info/passwords.
    • It's mine, and no one else needs to know what's in it.
    • I have no special concerns about my script being decompiled.
  2. 2. If I Need Decompile a Script It's Because:

• I need to make an minor adjustment to a script that someone else wrote.
    • I need to make an minor adjustment to a script that I wrote myself.
    • I hope to reuse portions of a script that someone else wrote.
    • I hope to reuse portions of a script that I wrote myself.
    • It's just information, and no one has the right to keep information from me.
    • I never need to decompile a script.

Please share your views.

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's there, just implicit.

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

I don't think script decompilation should be reconsidered.People have the right to protect their work,and sometimes you don't want some idiot stealing you hours of work and renaming one of your scripts as his. If you are careless enough to lose the source of a project you haven't finished,you should not be programming,or at least you should google the word Backup

I don't think script decompilation should be reconsidered.People have the right to protect their work,and sometimes you don't want some idiot stealing you hours of work and renaming one of your scripts as his. If you are careless enough to lose the source of a project you haven't finished,you should not be programming,or at least you should google the word Backup

Show me where it says anybody is reconsidering anything? You're making a giant assumption there and you look suitably stupid for it. Without the first sentence, your post would have been fine.

We don't need your opinions on decompilation, folks. That's not what this thread is about. The thread, in case you haven't noticed, is about 2 things:

• Why do you care if your script can be decompiled?
  • If you have decompiled a script, why have you done so?
Any other comments not directly related to those 2 questions are off topic and put you at risk of a ban depending upon how far you decide to push the issue.

Just to repeat so I am clear and there is absolutely no excuse, this is not a discussion of whether or not scripts should be decompilable. The best advice I can give you guys? If you have an opinion, voice it via the poll and don't post.

Please share your views.

In one sentence (taking care not to annoy Valik): scripts should be protected from decompilation more fervently for the same reason AutoIt development switched to closed source - intellectual property theft.

So, any conclusions after this poll?

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

The conclusion I draw is that people are concerned about the very issue people want a decompiler for: Theft of IP. It just re-affirms to me that we eventually need to do a lot of work in the area of securing scripts as best we can. In short I see nothing unexpected.

The conclusion I draw is that people are concerned about the very issue people want a decompiler for: Theft of IP. It just re-affirms to me that we eventually need to do a lot of work in the area of securing scripts as best we can. In short I see nothing unexpected.

I totally agree with that!!

However, I have lost some interest in creating "commercial" type programs, not due to IP Theft, but the destruction false-positives have done! They have put me out-of-business!

so "anything" that can be done about that would help immensely!!!

[end rant]

8)

Edited by Valuater

NEWHeader1.png

Thanks for info!

So, you guys really think about changing the "architecture" to secure scripts?!? Sounds great!

Maybe you can adapt something from perl, java, ....

I loved the idea of the obfuscator too, but there is no additional + using it. :)

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

This is an interesting perspective into the way the human mind works for two reasons. First, there's the obvious poll up there provide useful metrics as to what people think about decompilation and why they would use it. Second, and not so obvious, is the realization that you guys are willing to jump to fantastical conclusions with not a shred of evidence to suggest anything. A couple of you (at least) have grossly over-analyzed this thread and do not see it for what it is: A thread.

I'm not concerned about not being able to decompile at all; I always keep the scripts (that's why I have tons of them and even old copies :) ) ... and a backup ...

IF ... ever ... I will have only the executable and I will need the source (I really doubt it) I know what I have to do.

My 2 cents: "bullet-proof" is always good :P

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

...closed source - intellectual property theft.

Oh sure, hiding your code does not speak of innocence. People who show their code are not hiding anything, period. You may want to learn from that.