[Resolved] What does the "AutoItASC.bin" do, is it necessary?

Just curious about the "AutoItASC.bin" file. Is this necessary to have? I've read a lot of the posts re AVG's (and other anti-virus apps) false positives and I see that someone has already contact AVG about this particular file, if memory serves, but I'd just like to know what it does and if it's necessary to using the AU2EXE converter. If not, I'd just as soon delete it as it keeps coming up in the scans.

Thanks. Not starting a whole new thread re the false positives, just to know if this particular file can be deleted without problems happening later on down the road when we use the AUT2EXE tool. Cheers! :)

Edited by Diana (Cda)

Hi Diana

AutoItASC.bin is the ANSI version of the AutoIt 'Stub' (binary of AutoIt library?)

for compatibility with Win98/ME. (EXE's compiled with this prior to Unicode version of AutoIt)

Default is to compile as Unicode with AutoItSC.bin

When compiled in SciTE with the AutoIt3Wrapper

you get this message in the Console window:

->Warning: This is an Unicode compiled script and will not run on Win9x/ME.

read the sticky on false positives.

you could rename or delete this file if you have no need for backward compatibility with legacy systems.

AutoItASC.bin.bak

Edit: forgot to add, latest beta's have dropped Win9x/ME support anyway. no more AutoItASC.bin.

just AutoItSC.bin, Aut2exe.exe and AutoItSC_x64.bin, AutoItSC_x64.bin

AutoIt Operating System Support, Looking to stop supporting some OS configs

Edited by rover

I see fascists...

Thanks for the reply! <g> Yeah, after posting, I realized, stupid question ... of course it would most likely be quite needed. After your kind explanation I find that I'd like to keep the file. I like to have backward compatibility whenever possible; that has saved me in quite a few situations where you find you're somewhere where the latest isn't available. Anything to keep things usable no matter what.

Anyway, have come to conclusion that rather than modify my files, I'm going to be changing av apps. Though AVG has served me very, very well for many years, the latest "upgrade" has turned out to be bloated crap (for me, anyways). I told it to add this bin to its exceptions, but it keeps ignoring that. Same with ignoring my instructions to _not_ scan my 80 gig USB drive every single, solitary day! Just charges right ahead and does what it wants ... <g> So that has settled that. AutoItASC.bin files stays, AVG8Free goes!

Thanks. :)

Thanks for the reply! <g> Yeah, after posting, I realized, stupid question ... of course it would most likely be quite needed. After your kind explanation I find that I'd like to keep the file. I like to have backward compatibility whenever possible; that has saved me in quite a few situations where you find you're somewhere where the latest isn't available. Anything to keep things usable no matter what.

As long as your current and future scripts will compile or run with the last production version supporting ANSI (3.2.12.0) without backward compatibility issues due to revised or new functions in versions after 3.2.12.0.

Anyway, have come to conclusion that rather than modify my files, I'm going to be changing av apps. Though AVG has served me very, very well for many years, the latest "upgrade" has turned out to be bloated crap (for me, anyways). I told it to add this bin to its exceptions, but it keeps ignoring that. Same with ignoring my instructions to _not_ scan my 80 gig USB drive every single, solitary day! Just charges right ahead and does what it wants ... <g> So that has settled that. AutoItASC.bin files stays, AVG8Free goes!

Thanks. :P

Avast! anti virus gave me the same headaches early last year when I started using AutoIt

It wouldn't keep it's paws off of my AutoIt program, and scripts folders.

despite setting those locations in the exclusions list... twice.

third time's a charm :)

could have been three strikes and your out...

I see fascists...