scripting in Python inside Autoit

"And, it is possible to script in Python inside AutoIt (with limitations, but it's possible)."

This line was all I could find on this topic in my forum search, but no further explanation was given.

Specifically, I have a .au3 file that builds a GUI and interacts with another window, and I want to simplify the code by using python scripting/data types (specifically dictionary type). Is this simple, or even possible?

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...1&hl=python

Link

This may seem a little circuitous, but it should work for you. Write your AutoIt script, then call it from python, and use python to send/recv whatever data you need. You'll need to specifically format the data being sent between the two, because I doubt an autoit array will pass muster in python, and so on, so iterate through strings and send/set your data serially instead of all at once.

Thanks for the reply.

I found a few posts like that one, but the question I had was will I have to re-write the GUI/events in python? It is already written in au3, so I was trying to avoid re-writing them.

A couple of things... Hash.au3 posted by aGorilla here on the forum gives you access to "dictionary" functionality (uses the Scripting.Dictionary COM component). You may want to check it out.

I have not done this, but you can setup ActivePython for ActiveScripting that then gives you access to it through the COM ScriptControl. This is from the ActivePerl 2.4 docs:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/Acti...and_Python.html

Active Server Pages has been a useful addition to Microsoft's Web strategy. Because of the language neutral nature of COM, any language that is capable of "Active X" (meaning COM) scripting can integrate with it. Python, with it's excellent COM support, is one of those languages. When you install it, by default, it is not setup for the ASP enviroment with IIS. If you look at the html documentation in: C:\\Program Files\\Python\\win32com\\HTML\\index.html at the bottom of the page you'll see 'Active X Scripting Demos'. If you then click on that it will describe how to register the engire. Essentially, there is a program called pyscript.py in: C:\\Program Files\\Python\\win32comext\\axscript\\client and if you run that it should register python for the ASP environment.

This will let you do something like this:

Local $oSC = ObjCreate("ScriptControl")
$oSC.language = "Python"
$oVal = $oSC.eval("a python command")

the state of variables and the like is preserved between these calls and there are also ways to execute full scripts this way. Look for ScriptControl in this forum and on MSDN and you'll find more details.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble