Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kevev

Posting to Example Scripts forum

18 posts in this topic

Wondering why I cannot post to Example Scripts. Is it because I dont have enough posts yet?

Wondering why I cannot post to Example Scripts. Is it because I dont have enough posts yet?

It's five or ten posts you need to post there! :P

I guess the point has been proven for asking this question. It implies you haven't search for the answer as this was answered many times. :P

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions        Beta files                                                          Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I guess the point has been proven for asking this question. It implies you haven't search for the answer as this was answered many times. :P

Hey, but I give him 50% Kudos for having some reason why it might be :o ... (and you know how not searching before asking makes me feel :P )

[center]Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.[/center]

It's inevitable that someone unfamiliar with forums in general and these forums specifically will ask these types of questions. Try explaining online forums to an 80 year old grandmother sometime. "People talk about what?! Forget that. I liked the '50s."

It's easy to forget that even though we navigate these forums like fish in water, other people lack even the knowledge necessary to read the stickies or use the search feature. No matter what you do, someone will always miss what should be exceedingly obvious.

In my opinion there should be a sticky that plainly says you have to have 5 posts before you can post in the "Example Scripts" topic.

[quote name='PsaltyDS' post='635433' date='Jan 27 2009, 07:04 AM']Larry is a mass murderer?! It's always the quiet, clean cut, bald guys... [/quote]

In my opinion there should be a sticky that plainly says you have to have 5 posts before you can post in the "Example Scripts" topic.

I can't imagine why. Most people with less than 5/10 posts, don't have anything worth posting in the Example Scripts.

And if they do, they usually know how to use the search features to find out why they aren't allowed to post there at that time.

[center]Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.[/center]

I can't imagine why. Most people with less than 5/10 posts, don't have anything worth posting in the Example Scripts.

And if they do, they usually know how to use the search features to find out why they aren't allowed to post there at that time.

Which is exactly why the limitation is there, but I have to agree that perhaps there should be a link at the top of the board index, or maybe the top of every sub forums index that points to the forum's FAQ thread where questions like this are answered. Although upon looking I notice that this particular question isn't answered yet... :P

And of course there's the fact that nobody ever reads any kind of note or sticky anyway, just one of those facts of life. :P

Thank You all. Glad to see this is a helpful place. I did try the search. It is very limited and vague is its results. My opinion(if it counts) would be to edit the registration email. Adding this information to it would be super helpful for new users. If not, could we sticky this? Now I will post more test messages to unlock my access. :P

Maybe you missed post #3 in this thread in which it was suggested you not spam to get your postcount up. Just a thought, but you might want to actually, maybe, I dunno, talk about something relevant?

See how easy it is just to talk to people? :P

I think I'll stop posting in this thread before a mod has conniptions.

I'm not questioning the reason for the 5 post rule and I hate to be the one to point out flaws with logic but didn't Johny Clelland post the ADFunctions udf in example scripts with only 4 posts? A very valuable contribution IMHO.... See the sixth message....... ;P

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37378

(all I'm saying is: that's a thing that makes you go, hmmmm :P )

I'm not questioning the reason for the 5 post rule and I hate to be the one to point out flaws with logic but didn't Johny Clelland post the ADFunctions udf in example scripts with only 4 posts? A very valuable contribution IMHO.... See the sixth message....... ;P

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37378

(all I'm saying is: that's a thing that makes you go, hmmmm :P )

"Exceptions confirm the rules"

We did have a vast majority of newbies posting their first question in the Examples forum and that has largely stopped since this rule was applied.

Jos

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions        Beta files                                                          Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)