Column names/widths in multi-dimensional array

DickG

Is it possible to specify column names in a multi-dimensional array?

For example, I am displaying an array that has 7 columns, each of which is shown as "Col(0)", "Col(1)", etc. at the top. Is it possible to change it to use column names like "Date," "Time", etc.?

Also, is it possible to set a column width? One of the columns is too narrow for the text, and I'd like to set the width to the widest cell.

Any of this possible?

Is it possible to specify column names in a multi-dimensional array?

For example, I am displaying an array that has 7 columns, each of which is shown as "Col(0)", "Col(1)", etc. at the top. Is it possible to change it to use column names like "Date," "Time", etc.?

Also, is it possible to set a column width? One of the columns is too narrow for the text, and I'd like to set the width to the widest cell.

Any of this possible?

An array is a type of variable stored in AutoIt's process memory. AutoIt arrays can be multidimensional, but "column width" and "column name" have no meaning in memory storage. All array indexes in AutoIt are integers, for example $avArray[2][3][4] for a 3D array.

A ListView control has rows and columns, and the columns can have set width and names (header text). See the help file under GUICtrlCreateListView(), GUICtrlCreateListViewItem(), and the GuiListView.au3 UDF commands like _GuiCtrlListView_SetColumn().

;)

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Yes, I know an array is just a list of variables, but _ArrayDisplay() shows generic columns "names" and I was hoping there was a way of giving those columns names. So I was referring to the display of the array, not the array variables themselves.

I started out using a ListView, but realized that using an array along with _ArrayDisplay() was so much easier. But now I realize the limitation of this approach.

Maybe I'll look into combining both: an array, then feeding that to a ListView where I can name the columns for display.

Thanks much for the advise, PSaltyDS.

An array is a type of variable stored in AutoIt's process memory. AutoIt arrays can be multidimensional, but "column width" and "column name" have no meaning in memory storage. All array indexes in AutoIt are integers, for example $avArray[2][3][4] for a 3D array.

A ListView control has rows and columns, and the columns can have set width and names (header text). See the help file under GUICtrlCreateListView(), GUICtrlCreateListViewItem(), and the GuiListView.au3 UDF commands like _GuiCtrlListView_SetColumn().

;)

Yes, I know an array is just a list of variables, but _ArrayDisplay() shows generic columns "names" and I was hoping there was a way of giving those columns names. So I was referring to the display of the array, not the array variables themselves.

I started out using a ListView, but realized that using an array along with _ArrayDisplay() was so much easier. But now I realize the limitation of this approach.

Maybe I'll look into combining both: an array, then feeding that to a ListView where I can name the columns for display.

Thanks much for the advise, PSaltyDS.

I see now what you meant.

Note that the code for _ArrayDisplay() is in the Array.au3 UDF, which can be opened up in SciTE, studied, and modified like any other script. That would give you a place to start from, anyway.

;)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Ah, excellent! I was not aware of that!

I was able to add column names by customizing Array.au3!

I saved a copy of the original Array.au3 as Array_Custom.au3, then found where it adds "Col ($i)" to the header. I then added my own code to cycle through and give each column a name. Now _ArrayDisplay() shows my column names!

I changed the original code in Array.au3 (starting at line 208) from this:

;; make LV header==================================================================
For $i = 1 To UBound($ar_2DArray, 2)
    $sTempHeader &= $GUIDataSeparatorChar & 'Col ' & $i - 1
Next
StringReplace($sTempHeader, $GUIDataSeparatorChar, "<")
If @extended > 252 Then
    $i_Pos = StringInStr($sTempHeader, $GUIDataSeparatorChar, 0, 252)
    $sTempHeader = StringLeft($sTempHeader, $i_Pos - 1)
EndIf
$s_NotDoneLine = StringReplace($sTempHeader, "Col", "ND")oÝ÷ Ù:-+ºÚ"µÍÎÈXZÙHXYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBÜ    ÌÍÚHHHÈPÝ[
    ÌÍØÌ^KBTÙ[XÝBPØÙH   ÌÍÚHHBBBIÌÍÐÛÛ[YHH  ][ÝÑ]I][ÝÂBPØÙH   ÌÍÚHHBBIÌÍÐÛÛ[YHH   ][ÝÕ[YI][ÝÂBPØÙH  ÌÍÚHHÂBBIÌÍÐÛÛ[YHH ][ÝÔÜYY  ][ÝÂBPØÙH   ÌÍÚHH
BBIÌÍÐÛÛ[YHH   ][ÝÒT ][ÝÂBPØÙH   ÌÍÚHH
BBBIÌÍÐÛÛ[YHH  ][ÝÓ][ÞI][ÝÂBPØÙH    ÌÍÚHH
BBIÌÍÐÛÛ[YHH   ][ÝÓÜÝXÚÙ]É][ÝÂBPØÙH ÌÍÚHH
ÂBBIÌÍÐÛÛ[YHH ][ÝÓÝI][ÝÂBPØÙH[ÙBBBIÌÍÐÛÛ[YHH ][ÝÐÛÛ  ][ÝÂQ[Ù[XÝIÌÍÜÕ[XY  [ÏH    ÌÍÑÕRQ]TÙ]ÜÚ [È ÌÍÐÛÛ[YB^

But then I discovered that if I specify "#include <Array_Custom1.au3> instead of "#include <Array.au3>", my script throws an error that says the array code is already there and points to Array.au3. So it looks like some other #include file is calling Array.au3 anyway.

I am including these files:

#include <Constants.au3>

#include <GuiConstants.au3>

#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>

#include <GuiListView.au3>

#include <GuiEdit.au3>

#include <IE.au3>

#include <INet.au3>

#include <Date.au3>

#include <File.au3>

#include <Array.au3>

Is there a better way to modify Array.au3 without creating errors? For now, I made a copy of Array.au3 as MyArray.au3, modified MyArray.au3 to set my column names, then I rename Array.au3 to Array.txt and rename MyArray.au3 to Array.au3 before I run my script. I reverse that when I'm done. But there must be better way.

Thanks much for turning me on to this!!!!!!!

I see now what you meant.

Note that the code for _ArrayDisplay() is in the Array.au3 UDF, which can be opened up in SciTE, studied, and modified like any other script. That would give you a place to start from, anyway.

;)

I think it would have bee easier to leave Array.au3 intact and just put the _ArrayDisplayCustom() function in Array_Custom.au3. Then you can use either the original _ArrayDisplay() or your own _ArrayDisplayCustom() as required.

;)

OK, I tried this, and it works great!

Man, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was not aware of how to do this.

So, for the benefit of those who might read this later, wondering how to do something similar, here is what I did:

o Open Array.au3 and save as Array_Custom.au3.

o Open Array_Custom.au3 for editing.

o Delete all functions except _ArrayDisplay().

o Rename _ArrayDisplay() to _ArrayDisplayCustom().

o Customize the function with your own code.

o Save and close

In the script that will use the custom function:

o Add #Include <Array_Custom.au3>

o OK to keep #Include <Array.au3> as well.

o Use _ArrayDisplayCustom() instead of _ArrayDisplay where you want to use the custom function.

To add column names for a specific script, see earlier post for before/after code.

Thanks very much for your help, PSaltyDS. There is so much to learn, and this really helped me.

Dick

I think it would have bee easier to leave Array.au3 intact and just put the _ArrayDisplayCustom() function in Array_Custom.au3. Then you can use either the original _ArrayDisplay() or your own _ArrayDisplayCustom() as required.

;)

• 9 years later...

Once There Was a Time - Ten Years After, 1971.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)