question about running as a service

my question is can applications running as a service access the net?

vis inetgetsource ect ect.

can they run other applications (since they themselves have no gui)

could they completley bypass a windows login screen, and windows activation and then start a custom windows shell application?

and can they fully function before logon?

ex:

could a service retrieve info from a web page via inetgetsource and send out packets based on the data it gets while ont he login screen without the user logged on?

nd lastly does a user need to authorize the application to run as a service? (on xp, and on vista)

i see, but after it is set a service once it can run every time... corrrect?

is there anything speial to make the service run ever time the user logs in?

and i know there is a way to make software function at the login screen, ive seen it done with http://logmein,cin software

does anyone know how to make software run even if the user is not logged in?

• Developers

Services run when you log in. So, no.

Services are started when the PC is started NOT when you logon.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers

Really? Hmm, I didn't know that, thanks for telling me Jos, I thought specific user services started at login not when the comp turned on. :P

Services are generic programs ran at PC starttime. When you look at Control panel/Aministrative tools/Services you see all services that are started.

User specific stuff is started at Logon time.

An AutoIt3 script can also be installled as a service and is described in the FAQ which are a sticky on this forum.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Services are generic programs ran at PC starttime. When you look at Control panel/Aministrative tools/Services you see all services that are started.

User specific stuff is started at Logon time.

An AutoIt3 script can also be installled as a service and is described in the FAQ which are a sticky on this forum.

Jos

Thank you for the informative answer. I learn something new everyday :P