_UserExt - Logging in and out.

Mat

@mdiesel & @storme - In case you haven't noticed, I've now provided the requested code in my Chat topic - Auto Logging In.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

In case you haven't noticed, I've now provided the requested code in my Chat topic - Auto Logging In.

yep... now noted, am currently tring to work out what you're trying to do at parts, But I've got the general gist now.

I tried to recreate your problem, but either i'm not following the instructions properly, or its something with the service packs, i'm on 3.

I' going to test it a bit more tonight, it's lunchtime here, so not my "prime time".

I also had to spend a bit of time downloading version 3.2.4.9, and that took me a while longer than i'd expected.

I am also busy trying to write an example for all this, and i have had another grand plan!. Create a GUI that takes up the full screen, and set it as a picture of the logon screen, and add controls on top. Basically, re make the logon screen. rather pointless overall.

MDiesel

yep... now noted, am currently tring to work out what you're trying to do at parts, But I've got the general gist now.

I tried to recreate your problem, but either i'm not following the instructions properly, or its something with the service packs, i'm on 3.

I' going to test it a bit more tonight, it's lunchtime here, so not my "prime time".

I also had to spend a bit of time downloading version 3.2.4.9, and that took me a while longer than i'd expected.

I am also busy trying to write an example for all this, and i have had another grand plan!. Create a GUI that takes up the full screen, and set it as a picture of the logon screen, and add controls on top. Basically, re make the logon screen. rather pointless overall.

MDiesel

No worries, and if I'd read this post before replying to the other, I wouldn't have needed to query your service pack ... which could be the solution ... I certainly see the issue as some kind of Windows bug ... or silly limitation ... unless it is indeed controlled by another key.

I actually have SP3, but haven't bothered to install it yet ... haven't had a reason till now ... obviously I've installed certain elements of it over time. Be nice to know if it is an update ... and which one?

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

G'day mdiesel

I'm guessing the latest version of your UDF was created useing the "beta" verison of AutoIT. :)

Because I just downloaded it and the scripts I had it included in broke. :party:

C:\__Business Files\_AutoIT\__AHC_Proactive\Devel\scripts\includes\_UserExt.au3(367,79) : ERROR: all params followed by optional params must be optional.
Func _UserPasswordIsValid ($sUserName, $sPassword = "", $sServer = ".", ByRef $oCustomHandler
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

The full line is

Func _UserPasswordIsValid ($sUserName, $sPassword = "", $sServer = ".", ByRef $oCustomHandler = "")

Which is illegal in 3.3.0.0 but is now valid in the beta verison.

I know why you've used the blank handler but most AUTOIT users will still be using 3.3.0.0 which makes your UDF useless. :idea:

How about making it 3.3.0.0 compatible adn keeping this in reserve untill the beta moves to release?

John Morrison

Sorry, I was writing a script with this after beta release, I hadn't checked that.

Changed and uploaded.

I'll also link this here now too as an example. I wrote this to help Me + The saint with testing his problem (Over in chat if you're interested.). Its a simple logon box, which logs to a new user directly.

Logon.au3

MDiesel

Sorry, I was writing a script with this after beta release, I hadn't checked that.

Thought it may have been something like that. I read the changes for the new beta (looks good) then found the problem and something went "click" .:)

I'll also link this here now too as an example. I wrote this to help Me + The saint with testing his problem (Over in chat if you're interested.). Its a simple logon box, which logs to a new user directly.

Logon.au3

Yep saw it over there and have already been playing with it. Nice and flexable function you have there!!

Well done

John Morrison

• 1 month later...

I'm presuming, that those here who are using _UserExt or my Shutdown Options program, are having the same trouble as me with the latest version of Spybot S&D (if they use it).

It's taken me a while to update to version 1.6.2 of Spybot, so I've only just discovered recently, that it now only remembers the last registry value change for Username and Password.

Previous versions of Spybot, would remember all the variations once you'd logged into every user using my program, and then confirmed it for each Spybot query just the once. Now, I get queried by Spybot every time I log in and log out (if a different user is involved) ... which defeats the purpose of my program.

The only other issue I've had previously with Spybot regarding this, was that after every includes update, everything had to be re-affirmed again ... which was also rather annoying ... hence my tardiness regarding updating.

I have just today, emailed Spybot support about this. It may be an advantage to us all, if other users here, also email them.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

@Proph :)

wow.. This topic once again raised from the dead! I am not a spybot user, but I can see that it could be a problem. Something like that you would have at least considered this, and put a little checkbox somewhere in their main GUI or whatever they use.

They don't have an email address that you can directly email to (or they don't advertise it anyhow), so you need to visit here to contact about their software.

Onto another advancement. I posted another example (a slightly more graphic one) on using these functions. it can be found here

MDiesel

wow.. This topic once again raised from the dead! I am not a spybot user, but I can see that it could be a problem. Something like that you would have at least considered this, and put a little checkbox somewhere in their main GUI or whatever they use.

They don't have an email address that you can directly email to (or they don't advertise it anyhow), so you need to visit here to contact about their software.

Onto another advancement. I posted another example (a slightly more graphic one) on using these functions. it can be found here

MDiesel

I still haven't heard back from them yet, so I may use your link after a few more days.

They do provide a checkbox (as they always have) when you get prompted, but it no longer works for more than one variation. You used to be able to log into each user, and enable the checkbox for them when prompted, then after all users were done, it would not pester you anymore until the next update. I fail to see why they've found it necessary to limit it to remembering one change only.

Neither registry key is particularly notable for attack either, one would think.

Spoiler

userbar.png

I still haven't heard back from them yet, so I may use your link after a few more days.

They do provide a checkbox (as they always have) when you get prompted, but it no longer works for more than one variation. You used to be able to log into each user, and enable the checkbox for them when prompted, then after all users were done, it would not pester you anymore until the next update. I fail to see why they've found it necessary to limit it to remembering one change only.

Neither registry key is particularly notable for attack either, one would think.

Unless you want to force a user into an account, Or get their account password. I'm not sure. How did you contact them originally?

Its good to see this script finally usable...

MDiesel

Unless you want to force a user into an account, Or get their account password. I'm not sure. How did you contact them originally?

Its good to see this script finally usable...

MDiesel

Typically I never surf as an Admin, so I have two accounts on my PC - one that is Admin, and another that has the same permissions as the rest of the family.

So we use my Shutdown Options program to log between users when connected to the net (56k modem connection). I also often work on other stuff as Admin, prior to rebooting (remembering my issue with logging off from Admin) into my non-admin account to connect to the web.

I contacted Spybot via the eventual contact option thru their support page ... the usual method. I've been in contact with them before (few years ago) over a then visual bug which I was provided a patch for. So they do answer you ... or did so back then.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Just letting you know, that I did hear back from Spybot, and that they requested a copy of my program, plus a log file made by Spybot itself and a screenshot of the Spybot confirmation dialog. I provided them with the first two, but have yet to get the screenshot (more on that later).

The log file was interesting, in that some user elements were missing. So I made many log changes so that all users and passwords would be reflected in it. Due to the fact I was online and that a Reboot would obviously disconnect me (56k modem), I was unable to use that method ... which if you remember, my Admin account requires (logging off from is the issue), so I didn't use that account, but it was already listed quite often in the log file anyway. Of the other 4 users, 2 have passwords and two don't ... none have Admin Rights. Using Log off/on only, I didn't get all the confirmation dialogs that I was expecting, so possibly reboot may display different behavior, or the issue may be tied closely to the Admin account ... neither of which I could test at the time (the same has happened again tonight, as the prior user on our system was already connected before hand-over to me). So, as the dialogs are only appearing occasionally on log off at the moment, I've been unable to obtain a screenshot for them just yet (log off occurring as quick as it does) ... and as I hardly think it really required by them, I haven't gone to other lengths yet to procure one.

So apart from the conclusions suggested above, I'm also wondering if the issue is with blank (i.e. no) passwords ... or more correctly the change between a set one and a blank one and vice-a-versa? Mayhap the latest version of Spybot, doesn't remember the change if it is a blank value, and/or a blank value has some kind of reset phenomenon?

I've mentioned this all to them, but no doubt they will work it out. So for now, I await their reply. I also provided them some forum links about my program and the related test scripts ... in fact, that's how they will get the copy of my program, etc.

P.S. I've also complained to Spybot about the unencrypted display of a password in their confirmation dialogs. I believe they should be cloaked, until unmasked by a button click ... as you would want to be sure that no-one else is watching, before so openly displaying a password.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Sounds like they've got their jobs cut out for the next week or so! :) At least they are doing something.

As for the blank passwords... From a scripters point of view its going to be hard to detect an error with getting the password, even returning -1 is going to upset someone! Maybe they have blank as being an error, so it does not log it? Seems pretty stupid though when the majority of non-admin users to have blanks.

MDiesel

Sounds like they've got their jobs cut out for the next week or so! :P At least they are doing something.

As for the blank passwords... From a scripters point of view its going to be hard to detect an error with getting the password, even returning -1 is going to upset someone! Maybe they have blank as being an error, so it does not log it? Seems pretty stupid though when the majority of non-admin users to have blanks.

MDiesel

Yes it does seem stupid, and didn't happen with the prior version. :)

I'm also surprised that no-one else has reported it ... or maybe they have? :)

One would think, that the Welcome Screen (as used by most), also changes the reg values ... and thus would also cause the same Spybot issues? If not, then I may be missing something that may be a clue to a fix maybe? ;)

Ha, that was 3 may-be's! ;)

Be interesting to see what they think of my program ... if they offer opinions. :P

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Be interesting to see what they think of my program ... if they offer opinions. :)

Might offer you a job as a bug fixer! First job... Guess what! Some weirdo's complaining about somesort of problem with blank passwords...

Post any results when (and if :) ) they come.

MDiesel

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to let you know that all is now sorted with Spybot.

The latest version has a "paranoid" mode, which can be disabled ... and is by default. Doing that fixed it for me (hopefully). The latest versions (bar last 2 point changes) had that operating by default, with no way to disable ... which meant it kept asking about every single important reg key change.

In the process, I discovered the beta section and some other download goodies and the forum. The element that was giving me trouble, was the resident Teatimer, of which I'm now using the latest beta.

I've always liked the concept of Spybot S&D, so I'm glad I persevered to a solution.

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I am very instertesed in your topic.

I am a total novice to this whole scripting world, so if you guys could help that would be great.

I am trying to see i can utilize a script hat will log on to a pc. I want it to login, so another script can then run.

It is the logging in i am struggling with.

I did download the "logon.au3" and wondered if i could hardcode in the user, password etc and then have it automatically login. (no user interbvention at all?

ALso i tried to go to the saints chat section,but i do not have the correct rights.

I just wondered if you guys could help me out??

Also mdiesel , which part of England you from?

I am from Manchester. but live in Canada now..

I look forward to hearing from you.

I am on holiday using a dodgy connection, so I cannot give you a full explanation, but its easy enough. All you need to do I think is set up the autologon, and add the script to the startup dir (or to the right registry key).

Once again, this thread is reasied from the dead!!

MDiesel