Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tekki

[SOLVED] Help with @error

3 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

I am making this game and experimenting with things. It is a basic "guess my number" game.

My problem is that when you press cancel on the input box for this game - it brings up the error message of an incorrect character. I think it is something to do with @error. If anyone knows why or knows a fix please post.

This is the script of the game:

Global $win = IniRead("Game.ini", "Win!", "Won:", "0"), $lose =IniRead("Game.ini", "Lost!", "Lost:", "0"), $plays = $win + $lose

$start = MsgBox(4, "Hey there!", "Would you like to play my Random Guess Game?")
    If $start = 6 Then
        Main()
    ElseIf $start = 7 Then
        Exit
    EndIf

Func Main()

$plays = $win + $lose ;increases plays by adding losses and wins togethor
    $number = Random(1,10,1) ; Generates the number that you must guess.
    $guess = Int(InputBox("Guess my number","Guess my number. It is 1 - 10" & @CRLF & " Type it below.")) ; Ask's for your guess
    If @error = 1 Then
        Exit
    ElseIf $guess > 10 Or $guess < 1 Then
        MsgBox(0,"Oops", "You MUST only type in the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10... Try again") ; invalid character or a number greater then 10 or less then 1. (also for some reason the Cancel button)

Main()
    EndIf

If $guess = $number Then
        $win = $win + 1
        $msg = "You win!"
        IniWrite("Game.ini", "Win!", "Won:", $win)  ; updates ini file
    Else
        $lose = $lose + 1
        $msg = "Sorry, You lost."
        IniWrite("Game.ini", "Lost!", "Lost:", $lose) ;u pdates ini file
    EndIf

MsgBox(0,"Results", $msg & " Your number was " & $guess & " and my number was " &  $number) ; shows your results of this game

$iniwin = IniRead("Game.ini", "Win!", "Won:", "0") ; finds the value for the  wins

$inilost = IniRead("Game.ini", "Lost!", "Lost:", "0") ; finds the value for losses

$stat = MsgBox(4, "Statistics", "Would like you see your statistics?")
    If $stat = 6 Then ; 6 = Yes button
        MsgBox(0, "Stats!","Number of plays: " & $plays & @CRLF & "Wins: " & $iniwin & @CRLF & "Losses: " & $inilost) ; using the ini file created - It shows you stats
    ElseIf $stat = 7 Then ; 7 = No button

EndIf

$again = MsgBox(4, "Play Again", "Would you like to Play again?") ;4 = Yes/No button
    If $again = 6 Then ; 6 = Yes button
        Main()
    ElseIf $again = 7 Then ; 7 = No button
        Exit
    EndIf
EndFunc

This part here is were the bug occurs:

$guess = Int(InputBox("Guess my number","Guess my number. It is 1 - 10" & @CRLF & " Type it below.")) ; Ask's for your guess
    If @error = 1 Then
        Exit
    ElseIf $guess > 10 Or $guess < 1 Then
        MsgBox(0,"Oops", "You MUST only type in the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10... Try again") ; invalid character or a number greater then 10 or less then 1. (also for some reason the Cancel button)

Anyone with any ideas?

EDIT: Changed a part of a script

EDIT2: Found a bug that doesn't make sense. the $plays value is off by one. but if the $plays is $win + $lose then it shouldn't be off. Anyone know why?

Edited by Tekki

If you intend to use Sarcasm you must this sticker!!![size="1"][sub]pic made by manadar[/sub][/size]

Tekki,

The problem arises because you are using Int(InputBox(....)). The @error you are checking is coming from the Int function - and not the InputBox!

Recode like this and all will be well:

$guess = InputBox("Guess my number","Guess my number. It is 1 - 10" & @CRLF & " Type it below.") ; Ask's for your guess
If @error = 1 Then Exit
$guess = Int ($guess)
If $guess > 10 Or $guess < 1 Then
    MsgBox(0,"Oops", "You MUST only type in the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10... Try again")

However, I also noticed that you are running function Func Main() recursively - a really bad idea as you will end up crashing the system in the end! recursion has its place in programming - but this is not it!

Here is your code rewritten slightly to avoid recursion:

Global $win = IniRead("Game.ini", "Win!", "Won:", "0"), $lose =IniRead("Game.ini", "Lost!", "Lost:", "0"), $plays = $win + $lose

If MsgBox(4, "Hey there!", "Would you like to play my Random Guess Game?") = 7 Then Exit

While 1

$plays = $plays + 1 ;increases plays by one every time you start the game
    $number = Random(1,10,1) ; Generates the number that you must guess.

While 1
        $guess = InputBox("Guess my number","Guess my number. It is 1 - 10" & @CRLF & " Type it below.") ; Ask's for your guess
        If @error = 1 Then Exit
        $guess = Int ($guess)
        If $guess > 10 Or $guess < 1 Then
        Else
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    WEnd

If $guess = $number Then
        $win = $win + 1
        $msg = "You win!"
        IniWrite("Game.ini", "Win!", "Won:", $win)  ; updates ini file
    Else
        $lose = $lose + 1
        $msg = "Sorry, You lost."
        IniWrite("Game.ini", "Lost!", "Lost:", $lose) ;u pdates ini file
    EndIf

MsgBox(0,"Results", $msg & " Your number was " & $guess & " and my number was " &  $number) ; shows your results of this game

$iniwin = IniRead("Game.ini", "Win!", "Won:", "0") ; finds the value for the  wins

$inilost = IniRead("Game.ini", "Lost!", "Lost:", "0") ; finds the value for losses

$stat = MsgBox(4, "Statistics", "Would like you see your statistics?")
    If $stat = 6 Then ; 6 = Yes button
        MsgBox(0, "Stats!","Number of plays: " & $plays & @CRLF & "Wins: " & $iniwin & @CRLF & "Losses: " & $inilost) ; using the ini file created - It shows you stats
    ElseIf $stat = 7 Then ; 7 = No button

EndIf

If MsgBox(4, "Play Again", "Would you like to Play again?") = 7 Then Exit ;4 = Yes/No button

WEnd

I hope this is useful. Ask if you do not understand anything.

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

Tekki,

The problem arises because you are using Int(InputBox(....)). The @error you are checking is coming from the Int function - and not the InputBox!

Recode like this and all will be well:

>>CODE WAS HERE<<

However, I also noticed that you are running function Func Main() recursively - a really bad idea as you will end up crashing the system in the end! recursion has its place in programming - but this is not it!

Here is your code rewritten slightly to avoid recursion:

>>CODE WAS HERE<<

I hope this is useful. Ask if you do not understand anything.

M23

Yes I think I do understand it. Thank you - this also fixes the plays not adding up correctly. :) Edited by Tekki

If you intend to use Sarcasm you must this sticker!!![size="1"][sub]pic made by manadar[/sub][/size]