C++ Help

matthieuvb

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it amazing that in a world of computer technology the only way to really learn something is to read a book?

should I buy a book?
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 250)][/background][/font]

it would be waste of money. I can't even understand C++ with books. If you buy a book then first 40 pages would be intro and following 20 would explain you what are variables and arrays, and by then end of book you can write C++ program that asks your name and then displays it.

Also what i noticed is that you wont get help. if you post in C++ fourms you get 95% of times answer like read tut fist or link to MDSN's guides where you can't understand anything. And when you try to explain them that you don't understand C++ and you would like little example then they tell you that you must be able to learn it yourself.

Conclusion:

It's impossible to learn C++ yourself.

Reasons:

1)People in C++ forums are not helpful as they are in autoit forums. 2) Not enough tutorials/examples 3) Existing tutorials/examples are often too hard to understand or badly explained.

Edit:I have looked trough ~10 -15 C++ forums, never found as helpful people as in this site. I have read trough ~50 beginner to intermidiate tuts/guides/books. None of these are as good written as autoit help is. C# ide has atleast autoit like autocomplete feature. but C++ don't have even this.

I have tried to learn C++ more than year for now and still can't even make notepad (in autoit I have done multitabbed scite like text editor that allows you compile/run sourcecode and where you can choose skin and what can edit binary files).

Edited by E1M1

edited

what theory? you mean datatypes, variables, arrays and such or what?

I know int, float,bool handle, string and such but I don't even know how to convert handle to string. I also know that most functions return something. I can do if and loops in C++ but that's all.

Anything I am missing (there is something for sure but what)?

Edited by E1M1

edited

it would be waste of money. I can't even understand C++ with books. If you buy a book then first 40 pages would be intro and following 20 would explain you what are variables and arrays, and by then end of book you can write C++ program that asks your name and then displays it.

Also what i noticed is that you wont get help. if you post in C++ fourms you get 95% of times answer like read tut fist or link to MDSN's guides where you can't understand anything. And when you try to explain them that you don't understand C++ and you would like little example then they tell you that you must be able to learn it yourself.

Conclusion:

Reasons:

1)People in C++ forums are not helpful as they are in autoit forums. 2) Not enough tutorials/examples 3) Existing tutorials/examples are often too hard to understand or badly explained.

Edit:I have looked trough ~10 -15 C++ forums, never found as helpful people as in this site. I have read trough ~50 beginner to intermidiate tuts/guides/books. None of these are as good written as autoit help is. C# ide has atleast autoit like autocomplete feature. but C++ don't have even this.

I have tried to learn C++ more than year for now and still can't even make notepad (in autoit I have done multitabbed scite like text editor that allows you compile/run sourcecode and where you can choose skin and what can edit binary files).

Ok, thanks.
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 250)][/background][/font]

Conclusion:

I taught myself C++ by reading code and using the MSDN. My language experience before that was VB and a little AutoIt.

ever tried pointer arithmetic? Worst way to program ever.
only heard of it. I know that pointers are used with memory operations. and pointers point to memory address.

Use the reply button on a post instead of copying it into a code box. The quote boxes have links back to the source post.

And whoever said pointer arithmetic is the worst way to program obviously isn't good at structure.

Edited by Richard Robertson

it would be waste of money.

The $50 I spent on The C++ Programming Language was one of the best $50 I ever spent.

I can't even understand C++ with books.

It sounds like you have a reading comprehension issue.

If you buy a book then first 40 pages would be intro and following 20 would explain you what are variables and arrays, and by then end of book you can write C++ program that asks your name and then displays it.

Maybe if you buy a bad book.

It sounds like you have a reading comprehension issue.

Conclusion:

It's impossible for you to learn C++ yourself. I taught myself C++ just fine.

I'm sorry? Really, though, it's about 10 lines of code away from the wizard generated template. Maybe you aren't using the right resources? Edited by Valik
Broken quote tag.

Continuing Valik's post since there are so many bad errors in that post.

2) Not enough tutorials/examples 3) Existing tutorials/examples are often too hard to understand or badly explained.

Seriously? C++ is probably the biggest language out there. There are more resources out there than you can read in your lifetime.

You seem to miss some very, very basic knowledge about programming. You're confusing the language with one IDE (whatever you use). You also don't realize that stuff like GUI, PixelSearch, or just about anything useful is plattform specific. C++ doesn't assume anything about anything, if you think it's too complicated creating GUI's blame microsoft, or maybe the creators of QT or wxwidgets, or any of the other 100 alternatives you have to choose from.

In C++ you have full control, you choose what libraries to use, what your code should do and how it should do it.

Dismissing C++ without using it properly is an epidemic around here. C++ offers some features that almost no other languages can offer. Templates for example, is an extremely powerful feature that allows you to write general code while still keeping type safety.

Ps. Visual Studio has more features that aids you when writing code than scite could ever dream off.

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

Ps. Visual Studio has more features that aids you when writing code than scite could ever dream off.

On that note... I can't get calltips working automatically when writing win32 projects (not CLR), I have to press the toolbar button :blink: (vs 2010 beta 2) :P And I still can't register my visual studio despite having a key ;)

On a positive note: You can edit resources, databases, GUI's and just about anything else in the editor. It's amazing, and I haven't found anything to scratch it yet.

I downloaded that free Visual studio at one point and had a stab at visual C++ tuts for a few days but wound up putting it on the back burner (gave up :blink: ).

I wouldnt mind creating something from scratch of my own though before popping my cloggs, but the ease of use of Autoit3 is just to seductive, but its almost like you are not really creating anything because all the functions are there on a plate, and you are just typing them out in the correct order.

I'd love to see something like Native Autoit functions written out in Visual C++ like.

Mouseclick() =

1.#include <windows.h>
2.#include <iostream>
4. int main()
5.{
6. HANDLE hStdin;
7.DWORD cNumRead;
8.INPUT_RECORD irInBuf[1];
10.if ( HANDLE(hStdin = GetStdHandle( STD_INPUT_HANDLE )) == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE )
11.return 1;
13.while ( true ) {
14.if (! ReadConsoleInput( hStdin, irInBuf, 1, &cNumRead) )
15.return 1;
17.for (DWORD i = 0; i < cNumRead; ++i)
18.if ( irInBuf[i].EventType == MOUSE_EVENT &&
19.irInBuf[i].Event.MouseEvent.dwEventFlags != MOUSE_MOVED ) {
20.if ( irInBuf[i].Event.MouseEvent.dwButtonState & FROM_LEFT_1ST_BUTTON_PRESSED ) {
21.std::cout << "Left Click.\n";
22.}
23.}
24.}
26.return 0;
27.}

ControlClick =

etc...

Although the code above is probably wrong anyway I doubt anything like that would ever catch on.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Maybe if you buy a bad book.

Have only few books in my native language. I haven't seen your's book, so can't say anything bad or good about it.

Seriously? C++ is probably the biggest language out there. There are more resources out there than you can read in your lifetime.

Yes but these resurces are programs like firefox or notepad 2 and these are too big projects because when i try pick code from there I dont know what i need and what i don't even if i know clearly what my program must do.

If you say that C++ has that much resources then by this logic it should be easy to find example proxy or example notepad. but when you gonna search it google, best you can find is topics about not working C++ programs.

Edited by E1M1

edited