running an application in a loop

Hello All,

I've just started playing with AutoIt. I'm hoping that someone reading this forum has an idea or two that might help me with my problem.

I need to run a particular program 40,000 times, each time on a file with an incrementally increasing filename (e.g., filename00001.txt, filename00002.txt, ... , filename40000.txt). Is there a 'for' loop or similar construct in AutoIt that would allow me to do this? If so, all I would need to do is put something like the following operations inside the loop:

1. Run the program executable.

2. Select open file.

3. Paste the filename into the dialog box.

4. Make the program do it's thing.

5. Save the results to a text file.

6. Close the program.

7. Increment the filename for the next run.

Any thoughts on how to do this? I'm hoping that it's possible and simple to write up.

Thanks!

Dog at your help file? ;)

All seriousness aside, did you even open the help file (AutoIt3.chm)?

:evil:

As a matter of fact, I did open the help file and I went through the tutorials. I imagined that I would get suggestions or a solution more quickly from this community of experts than I would from my struggling through the rest of the file.

Almost all functions have example scripts included with their entry in the help file. Like For/Next, Run(), WinWait(), ControlSend(), and ControlClick().

The tutorial demo for installing WinZip illustrates several key points, and then there is the tutorial linked in my sig.

;)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law