First Dllcall

i have a dll file witch i want to use. I never done this before and keep getting some strange error msg. In the documentation for the dll file they say the following:

#include "apdf.h"

HPDF_Doc pdf;

pdf = HPDF_New (error_handler, NULL);

if (!pdf) {

printf ("ERROR: cannot create pdf object.\n");

return 1;

}

if (setjmp(env)) {

HPDF_Free (pdf);

return 1;

}

When i try to use the HPDF_New (error_handler, NULL) function I use the following code snippet:

$vPath = drivers\libhpdf.dll

$hDll = DllOpen($vPath)

$nDll = DllCall($hDll, "hwnd", "HPDF_New", "str", "Error_Handler", "none", "null");

And the result is @error = 1, unable to use the DLL file.

Is there any format problem in the syntax or is it something else or could it be both? I've tried to solve this for almost 4hours and now i'm out of ideas.

First time can be painful. Four hours of poking for sure.

Try something like this:

$sDLL = "libhpdf.dll" ; full path maybe

$hDll = DllOpen($sDLL)

$aCall = DllCall($hDll, "ptr:cdecl", "HPDF_New", "ptr", 0, "ptr", 0) ; you need to check what pointers should point to

ConsoleWrite($aCall[0] &  @CRLF)

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

First time can be painful. Four hours of poking for sure.

Try something like this:

$sDLL = "libhpdf.dll" ; full path maybe

$hDll = DllOpen($sDLL)

$aCall = DllCall($hDll, "ptr:cdecl", "HPDF_New", "ptr", 0, "ptr", 0) ; you need to check what pointers should point to

ConsoleWrite($aCall[0] & @CRLF)

There comes a time when the pain ends??

pdf is defined as 'long' so the return type should be long, but maybe it makes no difference if you're using a 32 bit OS.

To pass a function for a callback, which is what the error handler is, you need to use DllCallBackRegister, and then pass the pointer obtained from DllCallBackGetPtr.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

There comes a time when the pain ends??

It's nothing but pleasure then.

pdf is defined as 'long' so the return type should be long, but maybe it makes no difference if you're using a 32 bit OS.

Where do you see that?

edit: 's

Edited by trancexx

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

Well you lost me there...

I tried your script by the way!

executed following code:

$sDLL = '@ScriptDir & "\drivers\libhpdf.dll'; full path maybe 
$hDll = DllOpen($sDLL) 
ConsoleWrite($aCall[0] &  @CRLF)

The dll path is c:\scriptdir\drivers\dll.dll so that schould be right i guess

The function returned:

Subscript used with non-Array variable.:

ConsoleWrite($aCall[0] & @CRLF)

ConsoleWrite($aCall^ ERROR

>Exit code: 1 Time: 0.210

I guess that that means that it doesnt find the dll? or am i wrong?

Edited by PhilipG

Just noticed that dllcall still returns @error=1

Your last posted code, expanded:

If FileExists($sDLL) Then
    ConsoleWrite("I'm cool" & @CRLF)
Else
    MsgBox(32 + 262144, "ZZzzzz!", "WTF did I wrote there?!?")
    Exit
EndIf

$hDll = DllOpen($sDLL)
;...

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

Your last posted code, expanded:

If FileExists($sDLL) Then
    ConsoleWrite("I'm cool" & @CRLF)
Else
    MsgBox(32 + 262144, "ZZzzzz!", "WTF did I wrote there?!?")
    Exit
EndIf

$hDll = DllOpen($sDLL)
;...

I just found the problem '@ScriptDir & "\drivers\libhpdf.dll'; should be @ScriptDir & "\drivers\libhpdf.dll";

No it works and returns following:

0x01D32158

What to do with that?

(I feel like a total newbie)

Where do you see that?

In Form1.frm

Dim pdf As Long

That was the only definition of pdf I found in the source code for Haru pdf.

@PhilipG

Test the error to see what is going wrong.

$aCall = [url="../autoit3/docs/functions/DllCall.htm"]DllCall[/url]($hDll, "ptr:cdecl", "HPDF_New", "ptr", 0, "ptr", 0) ; you need to check what pointers should point to 
[url="../autoit3/docs/functions/ConsoleWrite.htm"]ConsoleWrite[/url]("@error after DllCall = " & @error & [url="../autoit3/docs/macros.htm"]@CRLF[/url])

and see the help for the meaning of the value.

Also try with something like this

Func error_handler($erno,$status,$userData)
 consolewrite("Error from dll: Error = " & $erno & ", detail number = " & $status & @CRLF)
 return 0
endfunc

$hCB = DllCallBackRegister("error_handler","int","int:int:ptr")

$aCall = DllCall($hDll, "int:cdecl", "HPDF_New", "ptr", DllCallbackGetPtr($hCB), "ptr", 0)
[url="../autoit3/docs/functions/ConsoleWrite.htm"]ConsoleWrite[/url]("@error after DllCall = " & @error & [url="../autoit3/docs/macros.htm"]@CRLF[/url])

It looks to me like the dll version of Harupdf uses the stdcall method so the "int:cdecl" might need to be just "int".

We'll probably find that Prog@ndy already has a udf in his back pocket for all this and we're wasting our time.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

I just found the problem '@ScriptDir & "\drivers\libhpdf.dll'; should be @ScriptDir & "\drivers\libhpdf.dll";

No it works and returns following:

0x01D32158

What to do with that?

(I feel like a total newbie)

That's good. I think that is the value for the pdf that you need to use as a parameter in other calls to the dll. You must remember to free the value (handle?) with a call to HPDF_Free when you've finished.

We'll probably find that Prog@ndy already has a udf in his back pocket for all this and we're wasting our time.

Not this time. This is all i found in my archives (only the start of an UDF)

HPDF_convert.au3 ... i tried to create an automatic converter

test.txt ... the result of the converter

AU3\hpdf.h.au3 ... the very first manual start

*.h ... the c-header files you have to convert ;)

libharu.zip

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes

Not this time. This is all i found in my archives (only the start of an UDF)

HPDF_convert.au3 ... i tried to create an automatic converter

test.txt ... the result of the converter

AU3\hpdf.h.au3 ... the very first manual start

*.h ... the c-header files you have to convert ;)

Thanks for that, really helpful to see some other script. Do i really need to convert the c-headers? isn't the .dll files working on there own?

The c-headers contain the function definitions, in especially their parameters and the type to use (ptr/str/long/...) You do not have to convert all, but the functions and constants you need to use the dll in you script

Edited by ProgAndy

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes

The c-headers contain the function definitions, in especially their parameters and the type to use (ptr/str/long/...) You do not have to convert all, but the functions and constants you need to use the dll in you script

And i would take it that the headers is the files in the include folder (*.h)?

I never worked with C so please excuse my inertia

I've started to translate the funtions. But now a new problem has come up.

When i run the functions rewritten the first two works but then when it's supposed to run set HPDF_SetCompressionMode it fail, big time. Auto it stops responding, and that window: "Autoit has encountered a problem.... etc. " Pops up!

This can't be good. Is this a common problem or is it easily solved?

The code so far:

Global Const $HPDF_HANDLE = "ptr"
Global Const $HPDF_Doc = $HPDF_HANDLE   ;
Global Const $HPDF_Page = $HPDF_HANDLE   ;
Global Const $HPDF_Pages = $HPDF_HANDLE   ;
Global Const $HPDF_Stream = $HPDF_HANDLE   ;
Global Const $HPDF_Image = $HPDF_HANDLE   ;
Global Const $HPDF_Font = $HPDF_HANDLE   ;
Global Const $HPDF_Outline = $HPDF_HANDLE   ;
Global Const $HPDF_Encoder = $HPDF_HANDLE   ;
Global Const $HPDF_Destination = $HPDF_HANDLE   ;
Global Const $HPDF_XObject = $HPDF_HANDLE   ;
Global Const $HPDF_Annotation = $HPDF_HANDLE   ;
Global Const $HPDF_ExtGState = $HPDF_HANDLE   ;

Func _PdfDLLstart(ByRef $sErr)
$vPath = @ScriptDir & "\libhpdf.dll"
    $hDll = DllOpen($vPath)
    If $hDll = 0 Then
        SetError(1)
        $sErr = 'Failed to open ' & $vPath
        Return -1;failed
    EndIf
    Return $hDll;ok

EndFunc

Func _PdfNew(ByRef $nErr, $hDll)
    ;DllCall($hDll, "str", "#include", "str", "apdf.h");#include "apdf.h"
    ;DllCall($hDll, "str", "HPDF_Doc");#include "apdf.h"
    $nDll = DllCall($hDll, "ptr:cdecl", "HPDF_New", "ptr", 0, "ptr", 0)
    ;DLLCall($hDll, $HPDF_Doc , "HPDF_New", _
            ;"str", "error_handler", _
            ;"none", "NULL");)
             ;DllCall($hDll, "hwnd", "HPDF_New", "str", "Error_Handler", "none", "null");
    If @error Then
        $nErr = "Failed to execute HPDF_new() command! Error code: "&@error&" Error from Dll: "&$nDll
        Return -1;failed
    EndIf

Return $nDll[0];ok
EndFunc

Func _PdfNew(); _PdfDocAtr(ByRef $daErr, $nDll, $hDll)

;set compression mode
  $temp = DllCall($hDll, 'float', "HPDF_SetCompressionMode", "ptr:cdecl", $nDll, 'uint', "HPDF_COMP_ALL");
    if @error >= 1 Then     
        $daErr = "Set compression mode failed! Error code: "&@error & "Return value: ";& $temp[0]
        return -1;failed
    EndIf
endfunc

EDIT: This functions are called from an other document the calling code:

#include 'PdfMaker.au3'

Global $HD, $nDll, $page
Local $mmssgg

$HD = _PdfDLLstart($mmssgg)
if $HD = 0 then
    consolewrite("Error from dllstart = " & $mmssgg & @CRLF)
    Exit
endif

$nDll = _PdfNew($mmssgg, $HD)
if $nDLL = -1 then
    consolewrite("Error from DllCall = " & $mmssgg & @CRLF)
    Exit
endif

$a = _PdfDocAtr($mmssgg, $nDll, $HD)
if $a = -1 then
    consolewrite("Error from aDllCall = " & $mmssgg & @CRLF)
    Exit
endif
Edited by PhilipG

You are writing bunch of nonsenses.

Leave libhpdf.dll aside for some time and learn about DllCall() and related functions.

Then try calling these functions by yourself GetCurrentProcess, Sleep, Beep, MessageBox.

All of them all well documented (follow the links). When you are done with them and have the full understanding of your actions then try functions from libhpdf.dll.

Otherwise it's kind of sad reading, really.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

Not much time to help on this now but the function HPDF_SetCompressionMode defined here requires 2 parameters; a PDF value which was returned from a previous call to HPDF_NEW, but remember to use $nDll[0] not $nDll, and thesecond parameter required is an integer. You have passed a string!

$temp = DllCall($hDll, 'float', "HPDF_SetCompressionMode", "ptr:cdecl", $nDll, 'uint', "HPDF_COMP_ALL");

should possibly be

Const $HPDF_COMP_ALL = 0x0F ;?? not sure
 $temp = DllCall($hDll, 'int:cdecl', "HPDF_SetCompressionMode", "ptr", $nDll[0], 'uint', $HPDF_COMP_ALL);
Edited by martin

Ah... Thanks for that! I've totally missed the string thing.

I'm done with rewriting the script now.

It works to the point where it outputs a .pdf file but for some reason that i still don't now the file is damaged. I've tracked the script for errors. and I only found one, according to the dlls document files, a very weird one: "Unexpected EOF marker was detected."

I assume that they mean EOF = End of File

Could this be caused by a corrupt .dll?

I am almost 100% that i followed the calling sequence described in the documentation!

Edited by PhilipG