Ping @error=1

Alright. JohnOne asked if InetGet worked. Have you tried that yet?

Sorry, I missed that post. Here's what I've tried and it didn't work:

dim $handle = InetGet("http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/", @TempDir & "personal.html")
dim $info = InetGetInfo($handle, 3)
If $info Then
    MsgBox(0, "InetGet", "Success.")
Else
    MsgBox(0, "InetGet", "Failure.")
EndIf
InetClose($handle)

Try

Ping("www.google.com",10000)

Didn't work, it just timed out.

From what you describe it smells bad.

Try installing WireShark and capture everything on the adapter while running the AutoIt ping. Save the snapshot and compare with a capture of a run with the command-line ping.

It that an official final install vs. some version of "enhanced" distribution of your OS (note that my question is _not_ about WGA and legit issues)?

Many OS ISOs found here and there have weirdly tweaked settings that can produce difficult to debug problems, specially after installing some MS patches which rely on the system not being hacked inconsistently.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Try installing WireShark and capture everything on the adapter while running the AutoIt ping. Save the snapshot and compare with a capture of a run with the command-line ping.

It that an official final install vs. some version of "enhanced" distribution of your OS (note that my question is _not_ about WGA and legit issues)?

Many OS ISOs found here and there have weirdly tweaked settings that can produce difficult to debug problems, specially after installing some MS patches which rely on the system not being hacked inconsistently.

It's a copy that my university supplied from MSDN Academic Alliance. I don't think it's an "enhanced" copy or anything. I'll try the WireShark method.

If you are attempting to run this through the universities server then therein may be the problem. Fisrt try to ping the university server and then talk to the IT department. Try the WireShark method first.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

When I ping with AutoIt, the ping request is sent out, but there is no reply. I get replies by pinging in cmd.

AutoIt pings with 36 bytes and cmd pings with 32 bytes. So, I tried pinging with 36 bytes in cmd and it still worked. I guess the number of bytes isn't the problem.

One difference is the data, ie. AutoIt pings with 36 bytes of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAA..." and cmd pings with 36 bytes of "6162636465666768696A6B...". Also, the "Time to live" for AutoIt is 128 and for cmd is 255. Could this be causing the problem?

I don't believe typical routers would be setup to dissect ICMP data contents and drop whatever packet they don't recognize content, but what do I know?

OTPH it could make sense to do so in order to recognize ICMP from classical ping from Windows, Linux and Mac and filter out anything else in an attempt to block ICMP flood and hackers scanning for PCs to attack.

Time to live is a max timeout in seconds, which every router is required to decrement by one. Is it possible that you reach 0 (in which case the packet is dropped) from where you are? I doubt it: 128 hops is unlikely.

If you don't succeed in finding out how and why the university is blocking responses back, then running the cmd line ping from autoit will certainly be an easier solution than issuing the ping and receiving answers by low-level calls yourself.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

What I would try next is not only disabling my firewall but uninstalling it, to absolutely rule it out.

From what I understand, when you disable them, some low level part of them is still running.

Also, are you trying this from home or your university?

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

If you are attempting to run this through the universities server then therein may be the problem. Fisrt try to ping the university server and then talk to the IT department. Try the WireShark method first.

I did a tracert and it seems that it goes through 4 servers from my university. I can ping the first 2 out of 4, but not the last 2 (same results in cmd line and AutoIt). I'm not what I can conclude from this but it seems that the last 2 servers are private or something.

What I would try next is not only disabling my firewall but uninstalling it, to absolutely rule it out.

From what I understand, when you disable them, some low level part of them is still running.

Also, are you trying this from home or your university?

It's too much of a hassle to uninstall my firewall and reinstall it if it doesn't work. I'll take jchd's advice and ping from cmd line when I run out of options. And I am on my university's network.

Hi

Try this. I use it to establish when to update programs

If Ping("www.google.com") Then
    MsgBox(0, "Ping", "Online.")
Else
    MsgBox(0, "Ping", "Not Online")
EndIf

Isn't this practically the same thing? And it didn't work, still "Not Online".

Edited by Inconspicuous

I suspect that one or more of the servers have a policy set to prevent applications, other than those specified in the policy, from accessing the internet. It's actually a good security setup for places like universities, although not unbeatable. Talk to the IT department and they may have a work-around

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"