Why is Ask.com toolbar getting installed

My suspicion is you are attempting to do a silent install of some software. Very dangerous in this day and age for exactly the problem you describe. Silent installs will use the default values and those toolbar installations are generaly set by default.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Another possibility: you happen to use a "cooked" version of the AutoIt installation package. Be sure to use the only one, which you get from this site's download area.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Another possibility: you happen to use a "cooked" version of the AutoIt installation package. Be sure to use the only one, which you get from this site's download area.

Hmmmm, didn't know we had any of those kicking around but it wouldn't surprise me much.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

I've no ground to be positive about this, but you never know where the marketting mafia will strike next.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Those sub-morons have ruined a lovely concept, silent installs. I used to use them all the time, now I don't dare unless it's an installer I've written myself or at least one that I've thoroughly checked out before hand. It's getting to the point where, before I do an install, I attempt decompressing the installer packages to see if there is anything that needs to be (and can be) changed to make it friendlier.

Edited by GEOSoft

George

If it's an MSI, drag it into Microsofts ORCA program (free as part of admin tools)

Then scroll down and click on the Property table from the left window.

Now look at all the entries in the right window. Most of the paramaters you can change are in CAPITALS, eg ALLUSERS and there is normally one for toolbars.

Once you've identified the name, eg INSTALLASKTOOLBAR, just ShellExecute("mymsi.msi", "/qn /norestart INSTALLASKTOOLBAR=0")

NiVZ