Is AutoIT For Me?

I have been trying to figure out how to do something with VB Script, using advice from colleagues on Experts-Exchange. One has suggested using AutoIT. Looking around, it looks like an extremely handy capability (I only make stuff for my own use, usually without a GUI or input of any kind; they just run). But before investing the time I'd like to know if there is likely an answer for my current problem: launch four sessions of the same Windows application (a popular OCR program) independently, then selectively shut any given one of them down and restart it later. I can identify when any one of them is finished with its batch; once launched (which I can readily do with VBScript) I need not do anything further until I see that that session's batch is done, then I need to just kill the process.

If AutoIT has the capability of doing this then I'll dive in and give it a go.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

When you start program using run() run() will return PID, you can close program by it's PID using ProcessClose() When you press f1 in scite window you see help. try to find functions you need. if you have question, post here code and question.

I hope it helped you.

edited

From an absolute beginners perspective as ive only just started myself

There is some really complicated stuff and some that makes a lot of sense

Ive come over from CMD coding and i can do more graphic stuff with this so better for me

One thought guys, the help file whilst very extensive and very good has one slight flaw imho, the problem i find with it is it dosent cover really basic stuff.

Now im not stupid by any means but i have trouble finding relevant basic stuff in the helpfile.

for eg ive been trying to find out from the helpfile and forum what the hell this does For $i = 1 To 10 For $j = 1 To 10 or similar things, i know they are basic stuff but i dont get what they do

if you type $i in the helpfile you get #RequireAdmin which dosent help ;o)

Ive been trying to not ask dumb questions like that but ive downloaded everything i can find to try and explain the basics, maybe im just looking at the wrong files.

Im not throwing rocks as i think Autoit is very good and will help me make my tools much better, just giving my very beginners perspective

My current reading ive just printed out is learning to script with Autoit V3 so maybe that will progress me in the right direction ;o)

Chimaera

• Moderators

Chimaera,

There are very good tutorials here and here - you will find other tutorials in the Wiki (the link is at the top of the page). There are even video tutorials on YouTube if you prefer watching to reading. ;)

By the way, these are all mentioned in the FAQ. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Its the only one i ever came back to and im glade. Im a big noobe but the users on here not only help but for the most part they explain what you did wrong so you learn as you go instead of just getting corrected. It opens my eyes every day as to the awesome power this language can do. I think that learning it may be my most favorite thing todo. ;)

muppet hands are so soft :)

Thanks Melba23

The first one is the one i mentioned that ive just printed out (another 10 trees gone)

and the second i had problems with running it and i reported in the thread about it

I guess my problem is i can see the big picture of what CAN be done but i dont understand the little details like the e.g. i made earlier which makes the big picture happen