Help: Newb

I've been reading the help file and I am starting to get my head wrapped around this whole programming thing. I have a long way to go, but this looks like it might be a fun trip. I plan on learning either C# or VB next.

I saw someone at work using Autoitscript and I figured I'd learn it. I'm not in the IT dept so I don't wanna bother telling anyone what I'm doing or learning. Not yet at least.

The first script I want to make that will be something I could use at work. I have files I need to copy information from and place into an excel worksheet. It is a lot of files that I get throughout the week and this little application I'm sure can do it. It would free up a lot of my time. And that would give me more time to learn programming! ;)

Maybe someone has already created something and could point me to the post or something. Something I could play with to see how is works and make a lot of what I have been reading sink in more when put to something I could really use. I read around and I think my head got a little dizzy. :huh2: But I know this path is a path to a good career.

I am going to sign up for learningvisualstudio.net, but before I do someone in here may recommend something else for an absolute newb.

AutoIt is an excellent way to start programming. It is simple enough to start learning and can get you thinking like a programmer. From what I have learned from my little research, AutoIt started as just an automation program. Then they started getting into GUI applications (programs you can see & interact with).

Back to "thinking like a programmer"... AutoIt takes your code one line at a time. Therefore, you have to write it in an order that makes sense. Declare variables before you call them. Also, arrays start at zero, so an array of 5 will end at calling $array[4]. Also, variables in AutoIt start with a dollar sign (like $value).

In AutoIt, people can create functions that make your life easier. In AutoIt's help file, look up excel.au3 (for your particular need mentioned earlier). To use the functionality of that function, you put this line at the beginning of your script:

#Include <Excel.au3>

That is a chunk of code that gets included with your program to keep you from having to write a ton more to get the results you want. Regular people can create their own functions (called User Defined Functions - or UDF).

AutoIt's help file is one of the finest pieces of work ever created. It has example scripts for every topic it covers. And if you can't figure it out from the help file, there is years of forum questions to search through.

Edited by sleepydvdr

#include <ByteMe.au3>

AutoIt is an excellent way to start programming. It is simple enough to start learning and can get you thinking like a programmer. From what I have learned from my little research, AutoIt started as just an automation program. Then they started getting into GUI applications (programs you can see & interact with).

Back to "thinking like a programmer"... AutoIt takes your code one line at a time. Therefore, you have to write it in an order that makes sense. Declare variables before you call them. Also, arrays start at zero, so an array of 5 will end at calling $array[4]. Also, variables in AutoIt start with a dollar sign (like $value).

In AutoIt, people can create functions that make your life easier. In AutoIt's help file, look up excel.au3 (for your particular need mentioned earlier). To use the functionality of that function, you put this line at the beginning of your script:

#Include <Excel.au3>

That is a chunk of code that gets included with your program to keep you from having to write a ton more to get the results you want. Regular people can create their own functions (called User Defined Functions - or UDF).

AutoIt's help file is one of the finest pieces of work ever created. It has example scripts for every topic it covers. And if you can't figure it out from the help file, there is years of forum questions to search through.

This helps a lot. Currently look at fileread and filereadline in the help file. I guess something to check for a specific string is my next read.

Let me ask what might be dumb question. Can Visual Basic 2010 (or earlier) do what I am trying to do? I still want to do it with Autoit first then proceed to Visual Basic.

Visual basics most likely can do everything AutoIt can do. And usually more effective too.

Visual basics most likely can do everything AutoIt can do. And usually more effective too.

Understood. I will try with Autoit first as I think the learning curve to accomplish what I want to do is smaller with Autoit. At least from what I see so far. Or maybe there isn't great documentation broken down like the autoit help file for visual basic. If there is let me know. But I have to finish what I started or I'm going to frustrate myself. :huh2:

I'd be interested in why you feel it would be more effective? I think to make an outlandish statement like that to a beginner is at best unhelpful.

Yes VB can (almost certainly) do everything that AutoIT can do. But while VB is fairly simple to learn, AutoIT makes more sense in it's syntax (at least to me), and has a help file you won't beat with any other language.

Just my thoughts.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.-The biggest idiot can ask questions the smartest man cannot answer.

I'd be interested in why you feel it would be more effective? I think to make an outlandish statement like that to a beginner is at best unhelpful.

Yes VB can (almost certainly) do everything that AutoIT can do. But while VB is fairly simple to learn, AutoIT makes more sense in it's syntax (at least to me), and has a help file you won't beat with any other language.

Just my thoughts.

Well from a nooby point of view AutoIt is best to start with, I for sure agree. But I'm just saying VB.NET can do pretty much all that autoit can just well autoit can be a little more user friendly.

Hello RogueX20, welcome to the Forum. Take a look at these tutorials. There's some on YouTube as well. Remember, when you come to a problem that you ask for help with, you'll get much more (and better :huh2:) replies if you post some code you've written that raises the problem for you. Again, welcome to the Forum. Good Luck! Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3 Learning to script with AutoIt v3

Edited by somdcomputerguy

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Hello fogest, welcome to the Forum. Take a look at these tutorials. There's some on YouTube as well.

Remember, when you come to a problem that you ask for help with, you'll get much more (and better :huh2:) replies if you post some code you've written that raises the problem for you.

Again, welcome to the Forum. Good Luck!

Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3

Learning to script with AutoIt v3

Thanks! Something like this can really help me as well.

Hello fogest, welcome to the Forum. Take a look at these tutorials. There's some on YouTube as well.

Remember, when you come to a problem that you ask for help with, you'll get much more (and better :huh2:) replies if you post some code you've written that raises the problem for you.

Again, welcome to the Forum. Good Luck!

Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3

Learning to script with AutoIt v3

I think you addressed this to the wrong person. I'm not that new to the forum. I just don't really post.

As a first script you could look through the helpfile to learn how to make a script that displays "Hello world" to the screen. I've heard that is a tradition amongst beginner programmers.