Int to Binary String Little Endian

Hey,

I am trying to create packets to send over TCP. The first 4 bytes describe the length, in bytes, of the packet data after these 4 bytes. I use StringLen() to get the length (which may be a bad idea since I will probably end up wanting to send more than just text), which gives me an Int. I then need to convert this to binary/hex (I still get confused when dealing with these in AutoIt), but it has to be in little endian format, and Hex() returns big endian. I found this function while searching, but I haven't tried it yet as I'd rather check that I was doing it properly, and maybe get some help from someone who knows more about this than me.

Func SwapEndian($hex)
     Return Hex(BitOR(BitOR(BitOR(BitShift($hex, 24), _
             BitAND(BitShift($hex, -8), 0x00FF0000)), _
             BitAND(BitShift($hex, 8), 0x0000FF00)), _
             BitShift($hex, -24)), 8)
 EndFunc;==>SwapEndian

Thanks

rak

Hey,

I am trying to create packets to send over TCP. The first 4 bytes describe the length, in bytes, of the packet data after these 4 bytes. I use StringLen() to get the length (which may be a bad idea since I will probably end up wanting to send more than just text), which gives me an Int. I then need to convert this to binary/hex (I still get confused when dealing with these in AutoIt), but it has to be in little endian format, and Hex() returns big endian. I found this function while searching, but I haven't tried it yet as I'd rather check that I was doing it properly, and maybe get some help from someone who knows more about this than me.

Func SwapEndian($hex)
     Return Hex(BitOR(BitOR(BitOR(BitShift($hex, 24), _
             BitAND(BitShift($hex, -8), 0x00FF0000)), _
             BitAND(BitShift($hex, 8), 0x0000FF00)), _
             BitShift($hex, -24)), 8)
 EndFunc;==>SwapEndian

Thanks

rak

Do you use TCPSend or something? Usually, you can just do like this:

$iLen = StringLen($Data)

$aPacket =  "0x" & _
            "9F" & _
            "4B" & _ ;Consider this random packet data
            SwapEndian($iLen) & _
            $Data & _
            "00"

SendPacket($aPacket)

Func SwapEndian($Data)
    Return Hex(Binary($Data))
EndFunc

Or, if you need to pass a pointer to a packet, do like this:

$iLen = StringLen($Data)

$aPacket =  "0x" & _ ; Necessary for dll struct trick to work
            "9F" & _
            "4B" & _ ;Consider this random packet data
            SwapEndian($iLen) & _
            $Data & _
            "00"

$PacketStruct = DllStructCreate("byte[" & $PacketSize & "]")
;$PacketStruct = DllStructCreate("byte[" & BinaryLen($aPacket) & "]")
DllStructSetData($PacketStruct,1,$aPacket)
$PacketPtr = DlLStructGetPtr($PacketStruct)

SendPacket($PacketPtr)

Func SwapEndian($Data)
    Return Hex(Binary($Data))
EndFunc

Ever wanted to call functions in another process? ProcessCall UDFConsole stuff: Console UDFC Preprocessor for AutoIt OMG

Ah, I seem to miss end of line comments a lot, probably because they're so light. Sorry.

So Hex(Binary($Data)) will swap the endian? That's a useful trick.

Could you help me with Hex() and Binary()? The difference between them is Hex() will only do up to 8 characters and returns a string representation of binary, but Binary() will do any length and returns binary data? Would Binary(8) return the number 8 in binary form, and Binary("8 as a string") return that string in binary form in ansi?

Seems to me you're mixing up a few things.

• First, as he helpfile says, Hex(expr) will return the string representation of an integer or of a binary type converted to hexadecimal.
  • As a consequence, NO, Hex(Binary(expr)) does not swap endiannness. Strings don't have endianness per se. Only UTF-16 and UTF-32 encodings are subject to endianness (their code units can be LE or BE). This is unrelated to the NUXI syndrome, technically speaking.
  • Binary(expr) will return a binary type.
  • String and binary types are not the same beast.
  • PC OSes (and processors) are little-endian.
Now, regarding LE vs. BE, endianness applies to determined types, or to put things otherwise, applies to explicit integer type sizes.

Your best bet to avoid getting wrong is to setup a DllStruct with required types, then fill it using the endianness required by the protocol you're using and feed the content to network I/O.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

There are too many examples of Dll* functions usage both in the help file, in the examples inside it and on the forumS. So search a bit by yourself and chime again if you're get stuck.

PC is definitely LE

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Seems to me you're mixing up a few things.

• First, as he helpfile says, Hex(expr) will return the string representation of an integer or of a binary type converted to hexadecimal.
  • As a consequence, NO, Hex(Binary(expr)) does not swap endiannness. Strings don't have endianness per se. Only UTF-16 and UTF-32 encodings are subject to endianness (their code units can be LE or BE). This is unrelated to the NUXI syndrome, technically speaking.
  • Binary(expr) will return a binary type.
  • String and binary types are not the same beast.
  • PC OSes (and processors) are little-endian.
Now, regarding LE vs. BE, endianness applies to determined types, or to put things otherwise, applies to explicit integer type sizes.

Your best bet to avoid getting wrong is to setup a DllStruct with required types, then fill it using the endianness required by the protocol you're using and feed the content to network I/O.

$Hex = 0xAABBFFEE

ConsoleWrite("0x" & Hex($Hex) & @CRLF)

ConsoleWrite("0x" & Hex(Binary($Hex)) & @CRLF)
The endianess is swapped. This is very useful if you work with binary code. This is ofcourse strings, so to use this, you need to autoset it in byte[] dllstructs.

Ah, I seem to miss end of line comments a lot, probably because they're so light. Sorry.

So Hex(Binary($Data)) will swap the endian? That's a useful trick.

Could you help me with Hex() and Binary()? The difference between them is Hex() will only do up to 8 characters and returns a string representation of binary, but Binary() will do any length and returns binary data?

No problem :) Yes it will.

Hex just formats an integer to a string representation.

Would Binary(8) return the number 8 in binary form, and Binary("8 as a string") return that string in binary form in ansi?

Double yes. Edited by Shaggi

Ever wanted to call functions in another process? ProcessCall UDFConsole stuff: Console UDFC Preprocessor for AutoIt OMG