Unfriendly Forum Admins

I'm not sure why reporting issues results in me getting forums admins treating me so poorly. I find that very discouraging. I never said or did anything to deserve the responses I received. Seems like there are some overzealous short-fused people just ripping anyone apart that might be new and step out of line. Shutting down my thread as I try to make progress against a real issue and saying the things they did seems wildly unacceptable.

Is this the sort of behavior I should expect from this community or was this an exception?

Referenced Thread:

Demons they are pal. And they all kiss each other on the lips.

If I were you, I'd start an online petition.

EDIT:

Or a youtube rant would be better.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Moderators

graydwarf,

Is this the sort of behavior I should expect from this community or was this an exception?

You accused us of releasing infected software. When a Moderator suggested that if you were concerned about the software you should just walk away you accused me of trolling. Your thread was then locked - and you are surprised? :)

AV companies continually flag Autoit as malware because little script-kiddies write unpleaant things with it. If you look at our Forum Rules you will see we make great efforts to prevent them from being associated with the "real" AutoIt. There is even a section within the compiled exes to tell AV companies that the item is an AutoIt script and still they flag it from time to time.

So I repeat my advice - if you are concerned that the software might be infected, walk away. Your choice. ;)

But carry on attacking us and the choice will be made for you. :D

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

You called one of our respected moderator's a troll so yes. Expect this kind of behavior.

I don't know how to quote properly yet so figure me if this gets all screwed up.

You accused us of releasing infected software. When a Moderator suggested that if you were concerned about the software you should just walk away you accused me of trolling. Your thread was then locked - and you are surprised? :)

Saying I accused anyone of anything is a bit of a stretch. I merely reported an issue that is brand new to me. Consider that for a moment. My first run experience here. I'm sure you folks may grow tired of this endless issue but taking it out on new folks may not be advantages.

I never once made haphazard or slanderous remarks and was clearly trying to figure out the problems I was experiencing.

But carry on attacking us and the choice will be made for you. ;)

"attacking"... I don't see how my concerns translate into attacking. The verbiage being used against me is hostile (as in leave now) and not the other way around... with the exception of "troll much" which was aimed at the comment without regard for whether you were an admin or not because I did not know. Had I noticed, I would have questioned why you were so quick to get rid of a new user (customer) who was clearly experiencing something you guys know very well and I do not. I understand that this is likely all volunteer work but if you love this product and what you do, I would expect a different sort of approach to people with problems. Especially the well known ones.

To be clear, I have interest in using AutoIt which is why I came here today (*and geez...*). I clearly have too much time on my hands and because I'm interested in AutoIt, I feel that it was important to point out what a new user is experiencing in terms of the product and its support. My intention was never to "attack" although, I wonder if you physiologically feel like are on guard duty here and because of that, perhaps have developed a bit of an itchy trigger finger. I think that might be an interesting discussion to have (among yourselves) if you do. Of course, coming from an outsider, that would be another "attack", wouldn't it. It's just a light and curious observation that may hold no weight. I'm no stranger to forums and so I know where this stuff goes and I should already stop typing because I know the responses I'll get regardless.

I'm not trying to win anything here except to point out that you made good efforts to run off a new customer/user without any sort of patience and understanding. Instead of helping me resolve the issue, you suggested I leave which sort of astonishes me although I can't pretend to understand the business model.

If a person comes across as even semi-mature and/or half-way intelligent, I might suggest that you not be so quick to get rid of them.

Note: Nothing in this response was meant to be snide or cheek in tongue. Nothing. I'm ready to move on if you folks would like to lock this thread now. I'd rather not get a response and hope that what I said does not fuel anymore defensive mechanisms.

• Developers

If a person comes across as even semi-mature and/or half-way intelligent, I might suggest that you not be so quick to get rid of them.

Guess you didn't come accross like that after asking Melba about the trolling.

When doing so you come across as an average little prick that stops by here regularly to automate games.

Your whole first thread didn't show much computer experience and to be honest your last one neither. Now that is not meant to call you stupid, but it fits the immature profile your were put in after your trolling remark.

Just for the record: I only told you to go after your trolling remark and Melba gave you the option not to use our software since you clearly had issues with it.

Now let's close this discussion and see what the future brings.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Seems like that software is known for a lot of false positives, I wouldn't give it any credence.

was the first and best advice, which you promptly ignored.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

@graydwarf

Why are you even posting here? Your problem is with Immunet, they gave you a false positive, not we. You should be posting on their forum, your issue is not with us.

• Moderators

graydwarf,

What do you call "I think something may actually be wrong with that binary" if it not "attacking us" - or a "slanderous remark"? We release that software - we do not believe is infected. Yet you seem to prefer the word of some anonymous web virus scanner rather than those who wrote it and, as you mention yourself, volunteer ot help out here.

As to my advice - I thought it was remarkably kind. I did not tell you to leave - I merely suggested that if you were concerned about the safety of any of the AutoIt software family you should not install it. If you consider that an attempt to get rid of you then you seem remarkably sensitive to anything aimed your way - in stark contrast to your very pointed comments towards us.

As to the rest of your post - I am quite frankly ignoring it as it makes allegations which are so far from the truth that I cannot be bothered to wear out my typing fingers replying to it. As you can see from a number of other users who have replied to this thread your view is not universally accepted.

Finally, I would ask you to reflect on the fact that at no point has anyone here thrown you off the forum - or even suggested a few day's posting holiday to reflect on how you you might better fit in. We have allowed you to openly attack the forum admins - who also happen to be those who help develop the language. If we were as unfriendly as you seem to think, you might well be looking for another automation software by now. As it is you will remain welcome here - if you cease acting as you have so far.

As I said in your other thread - your choice. I hope you choose wisely. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

I may as well post this here.

Anyway, I realized that the SciTE editor was already installed along with AutoIt so I don't even need to download it.

That's wrong. The lite editor with AutoIt is nothing compared to the full SciTE4AutoIt. If you intend to use AutoIt then you should definitively install it, it greatly enhances the experience as a script writer.

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

I may as well post this here.

That's wrong. The lite editor with AutoIt is nothing compared to the full SciTE4AutoIt. If you intend to use AutoIt then you should definitively install it, it greatly enhances the experience as a script writer.

I realized that when I ran into the static root path problem with the lite version and someone said to install the "full" version. That brought me right back into my original problem (and post) which is locked so I can't respond with how I resolved the issue. I ended up uninstalling Immunet and rebooting. After doing so, Firefox had no problems opening the download. Apparently, even though you can exit Immunet through its interface, you can't exit any of it's behind the scene processes which were still quietly running in the background and quarantining the download.

After installing and running, my hello world script compiled fine without any configuration changes.

Anyway, after a few bumps and bruises, I've got everything I need to begin learning. Thanks!

• Moderators

graydwarf,

You will find the excellent tutorials here and here worth reading - you will find other tutorials in the Wiki (the link is at the top of the page).

Good luck. :)

M23

Spoiler

The tollerance on this forum is exceptional, and I have witnessed this from every member of the Moderation Team. Even after some users have disregarded the forum rules, they have often been given a second chance (though I wouldn't push your luck). I'm proud to be a member of this forum.

:)