[Solved] PixelGetColor in a background window

Hey guys,

I am working on a script to detect changes in a video stream from IP cameras. I have everything working correctly, the only problem is that PixelGetColor only works with visible windows. I have read up on posts here that touch the subject, but none that I found offer any solution

I found the which solved many of my problems, yet the background window snapshot functionality is not present either.

If someone could point me in a proper direction in solving this, I would appreaciate it.

Thanks,

tom

Edited by tomaskir

Do you have a dedicated PC or a virtual PC to handle the cameras and your app?

Its running on a dedicated physical PC. However there are multiple apps running and I want to analize several video streams, which is why it would be really nice to be able to get pixels from windows in the background.

I would create a virtual PC on that machine your using. Run JUST the app that controls the cameras in it. That way you will have the window active all the time.

I just saw this:

You may be able to use it but it isn't tested.

Edited by MPH

I would create a virtual PC on that machine your using. Run JUST the app that controls the cameras in it. That way you will have the window active all the time.

I just saw this:

You may be able to use it but it isn't tested.

Currently i just connected a 2nd monitor as a temporary solution and run stuff on there. Problem is that i read stuff from 4 cameras, and having to properly position the windows etc becomes an issue (have to make sure it works after a reboot etc) So avoiding window management and all that with background reading would be perfect. I could set up VMs, but I would like a cleaner solution, so if there is one, I will try to find it.

Great find on those posts thanks! Im gonna have a look over that code.

I also found this http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/CapturingMinimizedwindow.aspx

This program succesfully captures background windows, and source is included, so I am currently trying to write a dll in C# based on that code that should work with DllCall().

If i manage to get it working well enough, I will make an UDF and share :)

Thanks again for the help!

Edited by tomaskir

You could do a winlist once the app for the cameras is started and then use winmove. That way you could position the windows on the second monitor automatically.

Yes, I could manage the windows, but luckily:

Func MemoryReadPixel($x, $y, $handle)
   Local $hDC
   Local $iColor
   Local $sColor

$hDC = _WinAPI_GetWindowDC($handle)
   $iColor = DllCall("gdi32.dll", "int", "GetPixel", "int", $hDC, "int", $x, "int", $y)
   $sColor = Hex($iColor[0], 6)
   _WinAPI_ReleaseDC($handle, $hDC)

Return Hex("0x" & StringRight($sColor, 2) & StringMid($sColor, 3, 2) & StringLeft($sColor, 2))
EndFunc   ;==>MemoryReadPixel

Works for background windows, and is MUCH faster then PixelGetColor()

Here is a fast test script using PixelGetColor(), FFGetPixel() and MemoryReadPixel()

#include "FastFind.au3"
#include <WinAPI.au3>

Opt("PixelCoordMode", 0)

$handle = WinGetHandle("Untitled - Notepad")

if $handle = "" Then
   MsgBox(0, "", "Please open a blank notepad window.")
   Exit
EndIf

$timerHndl = TimerInit()

FFSnapShot(0, 0, 0, 0, 1, $handle)
MsgBox(0, "", "PixelGetColor color returned : " & hex(PixelGetColor(200, 200, $handle)) & @CRLF & _
                 "FFGetPixel color returned : " & Hex(FFGetPixel(200, 200, 1)) & @CRLF & _
                 "MemoryReadPixel color returned : " & MemoryReadPixel(200, 200, $handle) )

MsgBox(0, "", "PixelGetColor average speed over 100 attempts : " & test_speed_PixelGetColor($handle) & " ms" & @CRLF & _
                 "FFGetPixel average speed over 100 attempts : " & test_speed_FFGetPixel($handle) & " ms" & @CRLF & _
                 "MemoryReadPixel average speed over 100 attempts : " & test_speed_MemoryReadPixel($handle) & " ms")

Func MemoryReadPixel($x, $y, $handle)
   Local $hDC
   Local $iColor
   Local $sColor

$hDC = _WinAPI_GetWindowDC($handle)
   $iColor = DllCall("gdi32.dll", "int", "GetPixel", "int", $hDC, "int", $x, "int", $y)
   $sColor = Hex($iColor[0], 6)
   _WinAPI_ReleaseDC($handle, $hDC)

Return Hex("0x" & StringRight($sColor, 2) & StringMid($sColor, 3, 2) & StringLeft($sColor, 2))
EndFunc ;==>MemoryReadPixel

Func test_speed_MemoryReadPixel($param1)
   Local $count = 0

For $i = 1 To 100
      $timer = TimerDiff($timerHndl)
      $color = MemoryReadPixel(200, 200, $param1)
      $timer = TimerDiff($timerHndl) - $timer

$count += $timer
      Sleep(10)
   Next

Return($count / 100)
EndFunc ;==>test_speed_MemoryReadPixel

Func test_speed_FFGetPixel($param1)
   Local $count = 0

FFSnapShot(0, 0, 0, 0, 1, $param1)

For $i = 1 To 100
      $color = Hex(FFGetPixel(200, 200, 1))

$count += $timer
     Sleep(10)
   Next

Return($count / 100)
EndFunc ;==>test_speed_FFGetPixel

Func test_speed_PixelGetColor($param1)
   Local $count = 0

For $i = 1 To 100
      $color = Hex(PixelGetColor(200, 200, $param1))

$count += $timer
      Sleep(10)
   Next

Return($count / 100)
EndFunc ;==>test_speed_PixelGetColor

While FFGetPixel() is insanely fast, it requires its own dll, and if you need to make a new snapshot for every FFGetPixel() call, its actually quite slow.

Thank you very much for finding that post!

Edited by tomaskir