Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ITGal

Regedit

12 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I've created an install script for a program and it works well. I've decided to add a change a registry key as to where the default save location is for this program.

I would like the file to be saved to 'My Documents' (the default location is in my documents but buried two folders deep)

My registry change doesn't seem to work:

RegWrite("HKEY_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\My Software\etc\etc\User", "MyDocumentsLocation", "REG_EXPAND_SZ", "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents")

Now this works to save the files in My Documents, but they are now in a folder with My Documents in a folder named as the user.

How can I have them save to JUST My Documents?

Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately neither work!

I actually haven't been able to get that to work either....!!

Even with @mydocumentsdir it still seems to save under a username folder within my documents. Same as the above issue.

What was the value in that location before you changed it?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I'm looking for basically C:UsersUsernameDocuments

the registry shows the same as above but ends up saving here:

C:UsersUsernameDocumentsUsername

That's very possible. No, I didn't write the software, I guess my next option is to contact the vendor. Just wanted to make sure it was not a user error on my part.

Thank you!

I know what it should look like after you've changed it. What was in that registry key before you change it?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator