Variable Argument Lists

JohnOne

I'm not really after discussing these for use, nor would I be so bold as to make what I want to hear

about, a feature request.

Rather an idea as to how difficult a task it would be to implement such functionality into

AutoIt, but not without first conceding that I have only just got to reading about ...

va_list

va_start

va_end

I do though of course think that such functionality would be a great feature in the language, while

I also realize the accepted workaround is to pass an array as an arg to an function.

Would this sort of thing require a whole new Func type Keyword?

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I do though of course think that such functionality would be a great feature in the language,

Variable argument lists are very rarely used in user code. They are useful in specific cases in libraries and by far the most common use I have for them is in a wrapper or hook function. The intermediary function accepts some of the arguments and a variable argument list. It does it's thing on the arguments it cares about and then forwards everything to the original function. In C++ the only time I've ever used it is centered around using some of the C string formatting functions.

The point is, while it can be a useful feature, it's not a game changer or anything. Most people do not need it.

Would this sort of thing require a whole new Func type Keyword?

No. Edited by Valik

In the tutorial I was reading it did mention that printf "can accept a variable list of arguments"

So I guess that could be the "C string formatting functions" you spoke of.

I've probably only once found myself looking for such a feature in AutoIt once, but quickly just

used an array.

I never knew such a thing existed in C++, It's a pretty great feature I think even if the same

effect can be achieved in other ways.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.