Sign in to follow this  
JLogan3o13

Trouble catching a WMI error

I am working on a small script for a customer, and am stuck the last line item. I have been looking at it too long, as I'm sure I am missing something obvious. If anyone could offer suggestions, I would appreciate it.

This customer is a health care facility. They have about 3000 carts in patients' rooms, connected to a thin client device. The carts are supposed to have functionality built in that keeps track of battery level should they be unplugged, and shuts the machine down gracefully if it gets below a threshold. Unfortunately, this functionality is not working, so until it can be fixed by the vendor, they need another way to do it.

The script reads an excel workbook, by sheet, into an array. It then runs the Battery function against each item in the array, and outputs to a second workbook the results (screenshot), either an error if it could not connect or the % of battery remaining if it can. This all works just fine.

The problem is with a small subset of machines that are pingable and on the network, but have issues with WMI. Even though I can ping them, I cannot connect to the namespace on those machines. In this case, nothing is returned in the second workbook but a blank line. I've tried putting an error handler in, but as the script continues on, this doesn't seem to work. I also tried adding another statement to check if the machine is pingable, at the commented line in the script below, but this doesn't work either. I can't figure how to catch this issue.

post-54985-0-41180700-1347676233_thumb.p

#include <Array.au3>
#include <Excel.au3>
#include <File.au3>
Global $wbemFlagReturnImmediately = "&h10"
Global $wbemFlagForwardOnly = "&h20"
Local $oExcel1 = _ExcelBookNew(1)
Local $oExcel2 = _ExcelBookOpen(@DesktopDir & "\Carts.xlsx", 0, True)
Local $aArray[31] = ["100005001", "100013013", "100013018", "100013019", "100013020", "100013021", "100013022", "100013023", "100013024", _
     "100013025", "100013026", "100013027", "100013028", "100013030", "100013031", "100013032", "100013033", _
     "100013037", "100013039", "100013040", "100013042", "100013062", "100013080", "100013086", "100013092", _
     "100013102", "100013103", "100013113", "100013136", "100013158", "Other"]

_setup($oExcel1, $aArray)

For $i = 1 To 31
     Local $aSheetArray = _ExcelReadSheetToArray($oExcel2, 2, 2, 0, 1)
         For $x = 1 To $aSheetArray[0][0]
             Global $objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & $aSheetArray[$x][1] & "\root\CIMV2")
             If @error Then ;<====================here================================
                 _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel1, $aSheetArray[$x][1], $x, 1)
                 _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel1, "Could not connect to asset " & $aSheetArray[$x][1] & "via WMI.", $x, 2)
             Else
                 _Battery($oExcel1, $aSheetArray)
             EndIf
         Next
     _ExcelSheetActivate($oExcel1, $aArray[$i])
     _ExcelSheetActivate($oExcel2, $aArray[$i])
Next

_ExcelBookClose($oExcel2)
_ExcelBookSave($oExcel1)
_ExcelBookClose($oExcel1)

Func _setup($oExcel1, $aArray)

_ExcelSheetDelete($oExcel1, "Sheet2")
_ExcelSheetDelete($oExcel1, "Sheet3")
_ExcelSheetNameSet($oExcel1, "100005001")

For $i = 1 To Ubound($aArray) - 1
     _ExcelSheetAddNew($oExcel1, $aArray[$i])
     _ExcelSheetMove($oExcel1, $aArray[$i], $i + 1, False)
Next

_ExcelSheetMove($oExcel1, "100005001", 1, True)
_ExcelBookSaveAs($oExcel1, @DesktopDir & "\Cart Report " & @MON & "_" & @MDAY & "_" & @HOUR & "_" & @MIN & "_" & @SEC, "xls")

EndFunc

Func _Battery($oExcel1, $aSheetArray)

$colItems = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_Battery", "WQL", $wbemFlagReturnImmediately + $wbemFlagForwardOnly)
If @error Then
     _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel1, "Error connecting to WMI namespace.", $x, 2)
Else
     For $objItem In $colItems
         If $objItem.EstimatedChargeRemaining < "90" Then
         _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel1, "Charge Remaining is below threshhold at " & $objItem.EstimatedChargeRemaining & "%", $x, 2)
         Else
         _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel1, "Charge Remaining is " & $objItem.EstimatedChargeRemaining & "%", $x, 2)
         EndIf
     Next
EndIf

EndFunc

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

So are you saying that when they can't connect using WMI that @error isn't giving you any indication of it?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

When it attempts to connect via WMI and the machine is offline, it returns the error as it should. However, if the machine is pingable, but I cannot connect to WMI on it, it returns a blank line. This customer uses SCCM and I run into the same issue on these machines, I can ping them, but if I attempt to connect to WMI through the SCCM tools, I get an error that it "could not connect to WMI namespace".

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

In that case, when it doesn't connect to the namespace, check to see if $objWMIService is an object (using IsObj) and see what happens.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thanks for the tip, BrewManNH. I thought that might do it, but tested this morning and still get just a blank line. I am going to do some testing again today, and see if I can find a way around it. Otherwise, I can always correlate the array index to the blank line in another function. It's ugly, but it would work. Thanks again.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cristin
      Dear all,
      first of all hi.
      I`m in trouble, again 😕
      I can`t find right solution, tried all possible combinations generated by my mind and nothing.
      I need to copy range of values depending by values from two different cells in excel sheet.
      I put an example in attachment.

I have two values which is never changed (is changed only TEXT). I need to copy all the rows from VALUE 1 to VALUE 2 in new Sheets (Output 1, Output 2, ... , Output X).
      It is possible to do this using Autoit? 🤔
      Also in attachment you can find last example which I have tried and it`s something near, it is copying by _Excel_RangeFind row with needed VALUE 1 but I need to copy whole range from VALUE 1 to VALUE 2 😵 ( see in attachment examples).
      Thank you very much, in advance, for your support, solution really will make my life much easier 🙃
      Have a nice day all of you!
      Best Regards,
      Cristin
      Book1.xlsx something.au3
    • By sudeepjd
      I was looking for a UDF using which I could Add and Update Pivot tables and Pivot Charts in Excel easily and could not find one that I could use. So I build this UDF. 
      It has the following functions :
      _ExcelPivot_CreateCache ; Easily Create a pivot table data cache from a Sheet _ExcelPivot_CreateTable ; Create a table from a cache at a specified location on the sheet _ExcelPivot_RefreshTable ; Refresh the datatable data with a new cache _ExcelPivot_AddField ; Add a Field and Aggregate function to the Datatable _ExcelPivot_AddFilter ; Adds in the Filter to a specific field _ExcelPivot_ClearFilter ; Removes the filter for a field or all the filters in the table _ExcelPivot_GetRange ; Get specific areas of a Pivot as a Range Object _ExcelPivot_AddChart ; Add a Pivot Chart linked to a specific Pivot table Attached the UDF to this post.
      Please do let me know if I can improve or add additional functions to it.
      A detailed example on the usage is below. The excel file and the example can be downloaded from the Example.zip file attached.
      #include "ExcelPivot.au3" $oExcel = _Excel_Open() $oBook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, @ScriptDir & "\TestPivot.xlsx") ;Create a Sheet to put the pivot into $pSheet = _Excel_SheetAdd($oBook, -1, False, 1) $pSheet.Name = "Pivot" ;Get the cache for the pivot table $pCache = _ExcelPivot_CreateCache($oBook, "Data") ;Add in the Pivot Table from the Cache _ExcelPivot_CreateTable($pCache, $pSheet, "A1", "FruitsPivot") ;Add in the Fields into the Pivot _ExcelPivot_AddField($pSheet, "FruitsPivot", "Category", "Filter") _ExcelPivot_AddField($pSheet, "FruitsPivot", "Product", "Row") _ExcelPivot_AddField($pSheet, "FruitsPivot", "Amount", "Value", "Sum", 1) ;Add in a Running total to the Pivot _ExcelPivot_AddField($pSheet, "FruitsPivot", "Amount", "Value", "Sum", 2, "PercentageRunningTotal", "Product") ;Filter only the fruits _ExcelPivot_Filter($pSheet, "FruitsPivot", "Category", "Fruit") ;Draw a Paretto Chart $chart = _ExcelPivot_AddChart($oBook, $pSheet, "FruitsPivot", "ColumnClustered", "Paretto", "E2", 570) $chart.Chart.FullSeriesCollection(1).ApplyDataLabels $chart.Chart.FullSeriesCollection(2).ChartType = 4 ;Change the percentage to a line graph $chart.Chart.FullSeriesCollection(2).AxisGroup = 2 ;Move it to secondary axis $chart.Chart.Axes(2, 2).MaximumScale = 1 ;Adjust to scale to 100% max  

ExcelPivot.au3 Example.zip
    • By DirtyJohny
      Hi everyone.Need rewrite this function how in еxample.
      Original:
      #RequireAdmin #NoTrayIcon Opt("MustDeclareVars",1) Func _a() Local $sls=ObjGet("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate," _ &"authenticationLevel=Pkt}!\\"& _ @ComputerName&'\root\wmi'),$lss=$sls.ExecQuery _ ('SELECT * FROM WmiMonitorID'), _ $lll,$sll,$sss="",$lsl,$lls,$i,$z For $z In $lss $lsl=$z.UserFriendlyName For $i=0 To Ubound($lsl)-1 if ($lsl[$i]) Then $lll&=Chr($lsl[$i]) Next $lls=$z.SerialNumberID For $i=0 To Ubound($lls)-1 if ($lls[$i]) Then $sll&=Chr($lls[$i]) Next $sss&="Model"&@TAB&@TAB&": "&$lll&@CR&"Serial Number"&@TAB&": "&$sll&@CR&@CR $lll="" $sll="" Next MsgBox(262144,'Monitors '&$lss.Count,$sss&" "&@CR) $lss=Null $sls=Null EndFunc _a() Example:
      Func _InfoPC() Local $ObjService = ObjGet('winmgmts:{impersonationLevel = impersonate}!\\' & @ComputerName & '\root\cimv2') Local $ObjMB = $ObjService.ExecQuery('SELECT * FROM Win32_BaseBoard', 'WQL', 0x30) If IsObj($ObjService) Then For $objItemMB In $ObjMB $sInfo &= @TAB & 'Motherboard: ...... ' & $objItemMB.Product & @CRLF I'm beginner in this sphere and need  you all speak easy and simply because i'm Russian.Thanks)
    • By jguinch
      Hello.
      I did create these few functions several months ago. I post here, if it can interest someone.
      These functions based on WMI queries allow you to manage printers : add / delete printer, driver, port, or obtain configuration, set default printer ... I let you discover it with the code.

Here is the list of the available functions :
      _Printmgr_AddLocalPort
      _Printmgr_AddLPRPort
      _PrintMgr_AddPrinter
      _PrintMgr_AddPrinterDriver
      _PrintMgr_AddTCPIPPrinterPort
      _PrintMgr_AddWindowsPrinterConnection
      _PrintMgr_CancelAllJobs
      _Printmgr_EnumPorts
      _PrintMgr_EnumPrinter
      _PrintMgr_EnumPrinterConfiguration
      _PrintMgr_EnumPrinterDriver
      _PrintMgr_EnumPrinterProperties
      _PrintMgr_EnumTCPIPPrinterPort
      _Printmgr_Pause
      _Printmgr_PortExists
      _Printmgr_PrinterExists
      _Printmgr_PrinterSetComment
      _Printmgr_PrinterSetDriver
      _Printmgr_PrinterSetPort
      _Printmgr_PrinterShare
      _Printmgr_PrintTestPage
      _PrintMgr_RemoveLocalPort
      _PrintMgr_RemoveLPRPort
      _PrintMgr_RemovePrinter
      _PrintMgr_RemovePrinterDriver
      _PrintMgr_RemoveTCPIPPrinterPort
      _PrintMgr_RenamePrinter
      _Printmgr_Resume
      _PrintMgr_SetDefaultPrinter

And some examples :
      #include <Array.au3> #include "PrintMgr.au3" _Example() Func _Example() ; Remove a printer called "My old Lexmark printer" : _PrintMgr_RemovePrinter("My old Lexmark printer") ; Remove the driver called "Lexmark T640" : _PrintMgr_RemovePrinterDriver("Lexmark T640") ; Remove the TCP/IP printer port called "TCP/IP" _PrintMgr_RemoveTCPIPPrinterPort("MyOLDPrinterPort") ; Add a driver, called "Samsung ML-451x 501x Series", and driver inf file is ".\Samsung5010\sse2m.inf" _PrintMgr_AddPrinterDriver("Samsung ML-451x 501x Series", "Windows NT x86", @ScriptDir & "\Samsung5010", @ScriptDir & "\Samsung5010\sse2m.inf") ; Add a TCP/IP printer port, called "MyTCPIPPrinterPort", with IPAddress = 192.168.1.10 and Port = 9100 _PrintMgr_AddTCPIPPrinterPort("MyTCPIPPrinterPort", "192.168.1.10", 9100) ; Add a printer, give it the name "My Printer", use the driver called "Samsung ML-451x 501x Series" and the port called "MyTCPIPPrinterPort" _PrintMgr_AddPrinter("My Printer", "Samsung ML-451x 501x Series", "MyTCPIPPrinterPort") ; Set the printer called "My Printer" as default printer _PrintMgr_SetDefaultPrinter("My Printer") ; Connect to the shared printer "\\192.168.1.1\HPDeskjetColor") _PrintMgr_AddWindowsPrinterConnection("\\192.168.1.1\HPDeskjetColor") ; List all installed printers Local $aPrinterList = _PrintMgr_EnumPrinter() _ArrayDisplay($aPrinterList) ; List all printers configuration Local $aPrinterConfig = _PrintMgr_EnumPrinterConfiguration() _ArrayDisplay($aPrinterConfig) ; List all installed printer drivers Local $aDriverList = _PrintMgr_EnumPrinterDriver() _ArrayDisplay($aDriverList) ; Retrieve the printer configuration for the printer called "Lexmark T640" $aPrinterConfig = _PrintMgr_EnumPrinterConfiguration("Lexmark T640") _ArrayDisplay($aPrinterConfig) ; Add a local printer port (for a file output) _PrintMgr_AddLocalPort("c:\temp\output.pcl") ; Remove the local port _PrintMgr_RemoveLocalPort("c:\temp\output.pcl") EndFunc ;==>_Example Download link :
      PrintMgr.au3
      PrintMgr_Example.au3
    • By Page2PagePro
      Excel VBA's IDE registers a Control-y as "cut this line of code".
      For those prone to Undo/Redo (Ctrl+Z/Ctrl+Y) you may find frustration when your code in the editor does not redo, but in fact clears your active line of code while killing redo history.
      Though not perfect, I keep this tool running in background on startup.
      The purpose is to allow Cltr+Y to act normally throughout Windows and Office and only interact *differently* with the "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications" window that is active.
      If the Standard Menu bar exists, it'll try to click the ReDo (Blue Arrow to the right), else "Alt+e, r" keystrokes (less desired).

Here's the code:
      Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1) Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 1) HotKeySet("^y", "TriggerRedo") While 1 Sleep(10) WEnd Func TriggerRedo() ConsoleWrite("TriggerRedo()" & @CRLF) Local $title = "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications - " Local $hWnd If WinExists($title) And WinActive($title) Then ;~ Parent Window Handle $hWnd = WinGetHandle($title) Local $aWindowPos = WinGetPos($hWnd) ;~ Control Bar Handle, Position and If Visible Local $sControlID = "[CLASS:MsoCommandBar; TEXT:Standard;]" Local $hStandardBar = ControlGetHandle($hWnd, "", $sControlID) Local $bIsVisible = ControlCommand($hWnd, "", $sControlID, "IsVisible") If $hStandardBar And $bIsVisible Then ConsoleWrite("Using Mouse Click." & @CRLF) ;~ Determine Redo button location on visible Control Bar Local $aBarPos = ControlGetPos($hWnd, "", $sControlID) Local $mX = $aWindowPos[0] + $aBarPos[0] + 217 + Int(23/2) Local $mY = $aWindowPos[1] + $aBarPos[1] + 27 + Int(22/2) MouseClick("Left", $mX, $mY, 1, 0) Else ConsoleWrite("Using VBA Send Keys." & @CRLF) $sControlID = "[CLASS:MsoCommandBar; TEXT:Menu Bar;]" Local $hMenuBar = ControlGetHandle($hWnd, "", $sControlID) ControlSend($hWnd, "", $hMenuBar, "!e") ;~ Send("r") $sControlID = "[CLASS:MsoCommandBarPopup; TEXT:Edit;]" Local $hPopupBar = ControlGetHandle($hWnd, "", $sControlID) ControlSend($hWnd, "", $hPopupBar, "r") EndIf Else ConsoleWrite("Using NATIVE Send Keys." & @CRLF) HotKeySet("^y") Send("^y") ;~ may cause "yyy..." when held HotKeySet("^y", "TriggerRedo") EndIf EndFunc ;==>TriggerRedo Hope this inspires someone.