Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JLogan3o13

Trouble catching a WMI error

5 posts in this topic

I am working on a small script for a customer, and am stuck the last line item. I have been looking at it too long, as I'm sure I am missing something obvious. If anyone could offer suggestions, I would appreciate it.

This customer is a health care facility. They have about 3000 carts in patients' rooms, connected to a thin client device. The carts are supposed to have functionality built in that keeps track of battery level should they be unplugged, and shuts the machine down gracefully if it gets below a threshold. Unfortunately, this functionality is not working, so until it can be fixed by the vendor, they need another way to do it.

The script reads an excel workbook, by sheet, into an array. It then runs the Battery function against each item in the array, and outputs to a second workbook the results (screenshot), either an error if it could not connect or the % of battery remaining if it can. This all works just fine.

The problem is with a small subset of machines that are pingable and on the network, but have issues with WMI. Even though I can ping them, I cannot connect to the namespace on those machines. In this case, nothing is returned in the second workbook but a blank line. I've tried putting an error handler in, but as the script continues on, this doesn't seem to work. I also tried adding another statement to check if the machine is pingable, at the commented line in the script below, but this doesn't work either. I can't figure how to catch this issue.

post-54985-0-41180700-1347676233_thumb.p

#include <Array.au3>
#include <Excel.au3>
#include <File.au3>
Global $wbemFlagReturnImmediately = "&h10"
Global $wbemFlagForwardOnly = "&h20"
Local $oExcel1 = _ExcelBookNew(1)
Local $oExcel2 = _ExcelBookOpen(@DesktopDir & "\Carts.xlsx", 0, True)
Local $aArray[31] = ["100005001", "100013013", "100013018", "100013019", "100013020", "100013021", "100013022", "100013023", "100013024", _
     "100013025", "100013026", "100013027", "100013028", "100013030", "100013031", "100013032", "100013033", _
     "100013037", "100013039", "100013040", "100013042", "100013062", "100013080", "100013086", "100013092", _
     "100013102", "100013103", "100013113", "100013136", "100013158", "Other"]

_setup($oExcel1, $aArray)

For $i = 1 To 31
     Local $aSheetArray = _ExcelReadSheetToArray($oExcel2, 2, 2, 0, 1)
         For $x = 1 To $aSheetArray[0][0]
             Global $objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & $aSheetArray[$x][1] & "\root\CIMV2")
             If @error Then ;<====================here================================
                 _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel1, $aSheetArray[$x][1], $x, 1)
                 _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel1, "Could not connect to asset " & $aSheetArray[$x][1] & "via WMI.", $x, 2)
             Else
                 _Battery($oExcel1, $aSheetArray)
             EndIf
         Next
     _ExcelSheetActivate($oExcel1, $aArray[$i])
     _ExcelSheetActivate($oExcel2, $aArray[$i])
Next

_ExcelBookClose($oExcel2)
_ExcelBookSave($oExcel1)
_ExcelBookClose($oExcel1)

Func _setup($oExcel1, $aArray)

_ExcelSheetDelete($oExcel1, "Sheet2")
_ExcelSheetDelete($oExcel1, "Sheet3")
_ExcelSheetNameSet($oExcel1, "100005001")

For $i = 1 To Ubound($aArray) - 1
     _ExcelSheetAddNew($oExcel1, $aArray[$i])
     _ExcelSheetMove($oExcel1, $aArray[$i], $i + 1, False)
Next

_ExcelSheetMove($oExcel1, "100005001", 1, True)
_ExcelBookSaveAs($oExcel1, @DesktopDir & "\Cart Report " & @MON & "_" & @MDAY & "_" & @HOUR & "_" & @MIN & "_" & @SEC, "xls")

EndFunc

Func _Battery($oExcel1, $aSheetArray)

$colItems = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_Battery", "WQL", $wbemFlagReturnImmediately + $wbemFlagForwardOnly)
If @error Then
     _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel1, "Error connecting to WMI namespace.", $x, 2)
Else
     For $objItem In $colItems
         If $objItem.EstimatedChargeRemaining < "90" Then
         _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel1, "Charge Remaining is below threshhold at " & $objItem.EstimatedChargeRemaining & "%", $x, 2)
         Else
         _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel1, "Charge Remaining is " & $objItem.EstimatedChargeRemaining & "%", $x, 2)
         EndIf
     Next
EndIf

EndFunc

√-1 2^3 ∑ π, and it was delicious!

So are you saying that when they can't connect using WMI that @error isn't giving you any indication of it?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

When it attempts to connect via WMI and the machine is offline, it returns the error as it should. However, if the machine is pingable, but I cannot connect to WMI on it, it returns a blank line. This customer uses SCCM and I run into the same issue on these machines, I can ping them, but if I attempt to connect to WMI through the SCCM tools, I get an error that it "could not connect to WMI namespace".

In that case, when it doesn't connect to the namespace, check to see if $objWMIService is an object (using IsObj) and see what happens.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thanks for the tip, BrewManNH. I thought that might do it, but tested this morning and still get just a blank line. I am going to do some testing again today, and see if I can find a way around it. Otherwise, I can always correlate the array index to the blank line in another function. It's ugly, but it would work. Thanks again.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• VeryGut
      By VeryGut
      I'm trying to insert the following formula in cell A2 using my script:
      =if(A1=""; "YES"; "NO")
      To my understanding, the line of code should be similar to this:
      _Excel_RangeWrite($MasterFile, Default, "=if(A1=""; "YES"; "NO")", "A2")
      However, it does not work, probably due to the multiple quotation marks that confuse the script :C
      How do I avoid this problem?
    • ModemJunki
      By ModemJunki
      Edit: I found out from looking into the post from coffeeturtle that not all motherboards support WMI temperature reading. You have to explore the WMI namespaces for your system!
      I (stupidly) fried a computer. It was an old Zotac small form factor device that was junked at work, so I turned it into a home theater PC.
      But I had put it in my "audio rack", which has glass doors and not very good ventilation. Normally I would open the doors while it was running and I use a media remote which would hibernate the system. At some point, it woke up by itself (probably Windows Update) and did not go to sleep again. Unfortunately this happened during the summer months while I was away on a small holiday and of course the glass doors were closed.
      When I finally noticed the system was on, it was super hot and the fan was at full blast. Dead. No POST, no green light on the mainboard even with a new power supply, old mechanical laptop hard drive gives errors when connected to another device. My next home project will be to make some appropriate ventilation in the audio cabinet.
      For the replacement I bought a used HP ultra small form factor machine and decided to start working on an app to monitor the ambient temperature sensor on the motherboard and shutdown the system if needed. I used some code for smooth label updates from here (needed updating to work with latest AutoIT) and temperature conversion from here (not really needed, only if you want temperatures in something other than C).
      Maybe I will work on this some more and make it configurable with an .INI file or even storing the settings in registry, but since I probably won't I thought I'd put it up as an example of what a non-expert can do with an afternoon of coding and ideas from the community here.
      This uses an ambient temperature sensor populated on HP machines in HP-specific WMI extensions but the WMI query can easily be changed to any available sensor including CPU or GPU.
      The watchdog monitors temperature, warns with S.O.S beeping if the set point is exceeded, and either shuts down if a timeout is reached while the temperatures are high or goes back to monitoring if the temperature goes lower then the set point, and logs events to the Windows application event logs.
      The GUI it puts up is very small at the top center of the screen (very small on a 4k display anyway).
      #requireadmin because of the WMI query.
      A timer for the WMI query because of prior experience using similar functions in WinPE to get model infos from HP WMI bios extensions.
      If you play around with this, please post your fixes/improvements/changes back to this thread.
      Have fun!
      Edit: Updated to show "Unable to query temperature" if the WMI query returns a null
      #AutoIt3Wrapper_Icon=temperature-2-multi-size.ico #RequireAdmin #NoTrayIcon #include <Temperature.au3> #include <FFLabels.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <StaticConstants.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> Global $winLogger = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventcreate.exe" ; application to use for event logging Global $MessageSource = "HP TempMon" Global $width = 185 Global $height = 15 Global $FontSize = 8 Global $FontFamily = 'Microsoft Sans Serif' Global $normClr = 0xFF000000 Global $warnClr = 0xFF0000 Global $WMInameSpace = "HP_BIOSNumericSensor" ;~ Global $WMIReadSensor = "Chassis Thermal Index" ; HP 8300 Global $WMIReadSensor = "System Ambient Temperature" ; HP Z400 Global $warnTmp = 46.1111111111 ; degrees C ;~ Global $warnTmp = 24 ; degrees C for testing Global $ovrtmpTime = 5 ; in minutes Global $hGUI = GUICreate("Board Temperature", $width, $height, -1, 0, BitOR($WS_SYSMENU, $WS_POPUP), BitOR($WS_EX_TOPMOST, $WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE, $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW)) Global $lb1 = _GUICtrlFFLabel_Create($hGUI, "", -1, -1, $width, $height, 8, -1, 0, 1, $normClr) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) _TempSenseLoop() Func _TempSenseLoop() While 1 Sleep(250) $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE GUIDelete($hGUI) Return Case Else $s_ambTempC = _doQueryHPNumSens(5, $WMInameSpace, $WMIReadSensor, "100") ; + 100 Select Case $s_ambTempC = "" _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetTextColor($lb1, $normClr) _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetData($lb1, "Unable to query temperature") Case $s_ambTempC < $warnTmp _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetTextColor($lb1, $normClr) _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetData($lb1, "Board temperature: " & $s_ambTempC & "C" & "/" & Round(_CelsiusToFahrenheit($s_ambTempC), 0) & "F") Case Else _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetTextColor($lb1, $warnClr) _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetData($lb1, "Board temperature: " & $s_ambTempC & "C" & "/" & Round(_CelsiusToFahrenheit($s_ambTempC), 0) & "F") _doLog("System ambient temperature has exceeded " & $warnTmp & "C.", "WARN", $MessageSource) _AlarmMonitor($ovrtmpTime, $warnTmp) EndSelect EndSwitch WEnd EndFunc ;==>_TempSenseLoop Func _AlarmMonitor($min, $tmp) Local $Shutdown = 1 Local $s_ambTemp Local $freq = 3500 Local $shrt = 200 Local $long = 500 Local $timer = TimerInit() Local $wait = 1000 * ($min * 60) While TimerDiff($timer) < $wait $s_ambTemp = _doQueryHPNumSens(5, $WMInameSpace, $WMIReadSensor, "100") ; + 100 If $s_ambTemp >= $tmp Then _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetData($lb1, "WARNING! OVERTEMP!") Beep($freq, $shrt) Beep($freq, $shrt) Beep($freq, $shrt) Sleep(250) Beep($freq, $long) Beep($freq, $long) Beep($freq, $long) Sleep(250) Beep($freq, $shrt) Beep($freq, $shrt) Beep($freq, $shrt) _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetData($lb1, "Board temperature: " & $s_ambTemp & "C" & "/" & _CelsiusToFahrenheit($s_ambTemp) & "F") Sleep(2000) ElseIf $s_ambTemp < $tmp Then $Shutdown = 0 ExitLoop EndIf WEnd If $Shutdown = 1 Then _doLog("The system is shutting down due to overtemperature conditions. The temperature at the time of shutdown was " & $s_ambTemp & "C" & "/" & _CelsiusToFahrenheit($s_ambTemp) & "F", "ERRR", $MessageSource) Shutdown(24) ElseIf $Shutdown = 0 Then _doLog("System ambient temperature has been reduced below " & $warnTmp & "C.", "INFO", $MessageSource) EndIf EndFunc ;==>_AlarmMonitor Func _doQueryHPNumSens($min, $class, $name, $sleep) ; $sleep = milliseconds Local $s_tempReading = "" Local $s_HPBiosWMIService = "winmgmts:\\" & @ComputerName & "\Root\HP\InstrumentedBIOS" Local $objHPBiosWMIService = ObjGet($s_HPBiosWMIService) Local $s_biosQuery = $objHPBiosWMIService.ExecQuery("select * from " & $class & " where Name='" & $name & "'") $timer = TimerInit() ; we may need to wait for the HP WMI extensions to enumerate in WMI, in WinPE this takes some minutes. $wait = 1000 * ($min * 60) If Not IsObj($s_biosQuery) Then ; we do need to wait, put up a splash screen $s_WMISplash = 1 SplashTextOn("WMI", "Probing WMI (up to 10 minutes)...", 300, 50, -1, -1, 1) Sleep(1000) While TimerDiff($timer) < $wait Sleep(500) $objHPBiosWMIService = ObjGet($s_HPBiosWMIService) If IsObj($objHPBiosWMIService) Then Sleep(500) $colProdName = $s_biosQuery If IsObj($colProdName) Then For $oItem In $colProdName $s_tempReading = $oItem.CurrentReading Next EndIf EndIf WEnd ElseIf IsObj($s_biosQuery) Then ConsoleWrite($s_biosQuery & @CRLF) For $oItem In $s_biosQuery $s_tempReading = $oItem.CurrentReading Next Else $s_tempReading = 0 EndIf Sleep($sleep) Return $s_tempReading EndFunc ;==>_doQueryHPNumSens Func _doLog($message, $type, $msgsrc) Select Case $type = "INFO" $logTyp = "INFORMATION" Case $type = "WARN" $logTyp = "WARNING" Case $type = "ERRR" $logTyp = "ERROR" EndSelect If FileExists($winLogger) Then RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & $winLogger & " /L Application /T " & $logTyp & " /SO " & Chr(34) & $msgsrc & Chr(34) & " /ID 1000 /D " & Chr(34) & $message & Chr(34), "", @SW_HIDE) EndIf EndFunc ;==>_doLog  

Temperature.au3
      FFLabels.au3
      HP_Temp.au3
    • LoneWolf_2106
      By LoneWolf_2106
      Hi everybody,
      i have a question about Excel, i have to create several charts one below the other dynamically.
      I have thought to use:

$oRangeLast = .UsedRange.SpecialCells($xlCellTypeLastCell) $iRowCount = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells($oRangeLast.Row, $oRangeLast.Column)).Rows.Count  
      And then to use it in this way:
      $Graph_position = "=Test1!A"&$iRowCount+2&":K"&$iRowCount+24 But it doesn't work with charts.
      Does anyone have a suggestion?

• LoneWolf_2106
      By LoneWolf_2106
      Hi all,
      i have an empty csv file, i have a non formatted text file.
      What do i want to do?
      I want to automate the process "get external data" in Excel, i want to import the data from the text file and basically create a csv file with a specific character encoding.
      Is it possible with AutoIT?

• breakbadsp
      By breakbadsp
      I  want to create a excel file from my script if it does not exist.
      _ExcelBookOpen throws error=2 if file does not exist, after this error i want to create new file at this point.
      can i use _FileCreate()?
      _Logger($sLogPath, "{INFO}------: Opening Excel File: " & $sExcelPath& "") While 1 Local $oExcelTestResult = _ExcelBookOpen($sExcelPath) If @error = 2 Then If not _FileCreate($sResExcelPath) Then MsgBox(0, "Error", "Error In Opening REsult Excel File: Error: " & String(@error)) _Logger($sLogPath, "{ERROR}------: Result Excel File does not exist.. tried to create new but :ERROR : " & String(@error) & "") ExitLoop Else _Logger($sLogPath, "{INFO}------: Result Excel File does not exist.. **Created New**: ") EndIf Else ExitLoop EndIf WEnd