If statements

l270ucas

Hello I am new to the programming field. What I am trying to make is just a simple little program that allows you to figure out the are of three different shapes. I think I have to many if statements and the program cannot compute them. Could someone please help me figure this out.

Lets say i program it for the circle and run it and it works, but when i go to put in the second shape like a square it will not run properly.

I also didnt know how to embed script here so i attached the file.

Thanks for any help,

lucas

Areas of shapes defined.au3

• Moderators

l270ucas,

Welcome to the AutoIt forum. :)

You need to put the various statements into a logical sequence so the computer knows in what order to run them. Here is a modified version of your script which shows how you might structure the code so that the logic flow is correct:

Global $shape
$shape = InputBox("Area", "Which shape would you like to know the equation for? Circle , Square , or Triangle ")

If $shape = "Circle" Then
   $circle = MsgBox(4, "Area of a Circle", "Area of a circle is A=3.14*r^2. Would you like to find the area of a cirle?")
   If $circle = 6 Then
       $circleradius = InputBox("Area of a circle", "Enter the length of the radius.")
       $circlearea = ($circleradius * $circleradius) * 3.14
       MsgBox(0, "Area of a circle", "The area of the circle is, " & $circlearea)
    EndIf
EndIf

If $shape = "Square" Then
   $square = MsgBox(4, "Area of a square", "The area a square is A=l*w or A=l^2. Would you like to find the area of a square?")
   ; You can do this part ;)
EndIf

If $square = 6 Then
   $squareside = InputBox("Area of a square", "Enter the length of one side,")
   ; And this part too :)
EndIf
Please ask if anything is unclear. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Ok thank you, now that I got that it works like i would like it to. however i was wondering if there was anyway i could make this simpler other that the obvious calculator?

$shape = InputBox("Area", "Which shape would you like to know the equation for? Circle, Square, or Triangle")

If $shape = "Circle"  Then
   $circle = MsgBox(4, "Area of a Circle", "Area of a circle is A = 3.14*r^2. Would you like to find the area of a circle?")
   If $circle = 6 Then
      $circleradius = InputBox("Area of a Circle", "Enter the length of the radius.")
      $circlearea = ($circleradius *$circleradius) * 3.14
      MsgBox(0, "Area of a circle", "The area of the circle is, " & $circlearea)
   EndIf
EndIf

If $shape = "Square"  Then
   $square = MsgBox(4, "Area of a Square", "The area of a square is, A = b*h. Would you like to find the area of a square?")
   If $square = 6 Then
      $squarebase = InputBox("Area of a Square", "Enter the length of the base")
      $squareheight = InputBox("Area of a Square", "Enter the length of the height")
      $squarearea = $Squareheight *$squarebase
      MsgBox(0,"Area of a Square", "The area of the square is, " & $squarearea)
   EndIf
EndIf

If $shape = "Triangle"  Then
   $triangle = MsgBox(4, "Area of a Triangle", "The area of a Triangle is, A = (1/2)*b*h. Would you like to find the area of a triangle?")
   If $triangle = 6 Then
      $trianglebase = InputBox("Area of a Triangle", "Enter the length of the base")
      $triangleheight = InputBox("Area of a triangle", "Enter the length of the height")
      $trianglearea = (1/2) * $trianglebase * $triangleheight
      MsgBox(0, "Area of a Triangle", "The area of the triangle is, " & $trianglearea)
   EndIf
EndIf