Read file and ComboBox

Go to solution Solved by Jfish,

Hello there, 
I'm working with a .txt full of info about the payment of some employees but what I'm trying to do is just take their names in a string of 30 chars max.  and add them to a combobox for later selection.
The first name start at line 4 and every name comes after 24 lines. In the code i have im just able to add the last name of the query (FileReadLine), and display in a msgbox the names one after another. Seems like the the $namestring isnt working because the msgbox display full line not just 30 char.

Func _ButtonOpen()

$filepath = GUICtrlRead($Input1)
FileOpen($filepath,0)
for $i = 4 to _FileCountLines($filepath) Step + 24
$line = FileReadLine($filepath,$i)
$namestring = FileRead($filepath,30)
GUICtrlSetData($Combo1,$line)
msgbox(0,'','the line ' & $i & ' is ' & $line)
Next
FileClose($archivo)

EndFunc

I'm new to this so any help would be great,  thanks in advance.

• Solution

Hi there and welcome to the forum.  It appears to me that you are setting the message box to the full line with your $line variable.  You attempt to read the first 30 characters of the FILE (not the line) with the $namestring function but you never actually do anything with it.   You could take $line and do this to make it no greater than 30 characters:

$lineLength= StringLen ($line)
if $lineLength > 30 then 
$line=StringTrimRight ($line, ($lineLength-($lineLength-30)) )
endif

Build your own poker game with AutoIt: pokerlogic.au3 | Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt

Hi there and welcome to the forum.  It appears to me that you are setting the message box to the full line with your $line variable.  You attempt to read the first 30 characters of the FILE (not the line) with the $namestring function but you never actually do anything with it.   You could take $line and do this to make it no greater than 30 characters:

$lineLength= StringLen ($line)
if $lineLength > 30 then 
$line=StringTrimRight ($line, ($lineLength-($lineLength-30)) )
endif

Thanks for responding Jfish, thats exactly what I was looking for, it worked like a charm!

Thanks!