Sign in to follow this  
corgano

Brainstorming: Displaying and printing barcodes - what is the best way?

corgano

I have seen many different threads about generating barcodes, displaying them, and printing them. However at this point I am completely torn with which method to use. I am making a software that lets the user scan items, enter in information and save it in a SQLite database. For my purposes, I want to be able to display the barcode with number underneath in a similar way to most other controls eg GuiCtrlCreateBarcode( barcodenumber, x, y, width, height ). I also want to be able to print the barcode and have it be readable by the same scanner - The most successful encoding I've found is code128. Here is what I have found so far:

• This thread has nice code that saves the output as images
    • Printing is easy and scans properly
    • Displaying the image on a pic control makes it easy to set it's x/y/width/height
      But..
    • The code does not let you directly specify the width / height, so displayed image on GUI is ALWAYS skewed.
    • Getting output images the right size with that code is very difficult
    • I cannot find any examples of drawing barcodes to an image that let you specify width / height
    • This example 
  • Several threads use Static controls
    • Look very nice on GUI, easy to get explicit position and size
      But...
    • I know of no way to turn a bunch of static controls into something printable
    • I didn't find any examples that had numbers at the bottom of the barcode
  • The third solution I found was using a barcode font
    • Can look nice, depending on font
    • Shouldn't be hard to print
      But..
    • Depends on additional font being installed
    • Some fonts don't scan correctly
    • How do you specify a width / height of an area you want the barcode to fill when using a font?

I'm really at a loss as to how to move forward. Maybe there's an example I missed that is better suited to what I could find? PErhaps someone has experience writing barcode scanning / generating / printing software and can share the experiences. Can someone bounce a few ideas back and forth with me on the best way to proceed?

Edited by corgano

0x616e2069646561206973206c696b652061206d616e20776974686f7574206120626f64792c20746f206669676874206f6e6520697320746f206e657665722077696e2e2e2e2e

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Emmhor1
      By Emmhor1
      Hi All,

MAIN QUESTION:
      Is it possible to Call specific function within a GUI

So I have a script with multiple functions although I don't want to use every function every time.
      My Idea is to create a simple GUI which allows me to select what functions I want to use then run the funtions by clicking a button.
      I have already made a GUI which allows me to select specific .exe's I would like to run after selection it runs the .exe one by one.
      This script is on my work laptops and cannot access it right now.

Who can help me with this?
      GUIcreate
      Func1 
      Func2
      Func3
      Then have a boxes which allows me to select the specif Func.(I used GUIChecked and Unchecked in my other script)
      Then a button which executes/calls the selected functions
    • Blois
      By Blois
      Hi Guis,

I need to create keyboard shortcut to navigate the tabs and activate them, but I could not use the code below:
      #include <TabConstants.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <GuiTab.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> HotKeySet("^{TAB}", "_TabRight") HotKeySet("^+{TAB}", "_TabLeft") $gui = GUICreate("test",450, 300) $Tab1 = GUICtrlCreateTab(20, 24, 425, 201) $TabSheet1 = GUICtrlCreateTabItem("Tabsheet 1") $lbContagemGrupos2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("aaaa", 50, 50) GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0x0000FF) GUICtrlCreateTabItem("") $TabSheet2 = GUICtrlCreateTabItem(" ") $TabSheet3 = GUICtrlCreateTabItem(" ") GUISetState() While 1 Switch GUIGetMsg() Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ExitLoop EndSwitch WEnd Func _TabRight() $CurPos = _GUICtrlTab_GetCurSel($Tab1) _GUICtrlTab_SetCurSel($Tab1, $CurPos + 1) $tab = "$TabSheet" & $CurPos GUICtrlSetState($TabSheet1 + $CurPos, $GUI_SHOW) Return EndFunc Func _TabLeft() $CurPos = _GUICtrlTab_GetCurSel($Tab1) _GUICtrlTab_SetCurSel($Tab1, $CurPos - 1) $tab = "$TabSheet" & $CurPos GUICtrlSetState($TabSheet1 + $CurPos, $GUI_SHOW) Return EndFunc Exit  
      can you help me?
    • stafe
      By stafe
      Hello
      I am trying to get chrome to save it's current webpage to a pdf using autoit.  I wold like to save the file into a folder on the desktop called "ChromeFiles" .  However when I use the send command chrome only occasionally responds.
      Thank you
      Simon

• Pricehacker
      By Pricehacker
      Hello again!
      I have tried searching for quite some time now but couldn´t find a single working way to change the class of your GUI that doesn´t include changing it manually after its compilation.
      First or "AutoIt v3 GUI" is a pretty boring name tbh and i would like to spice it up a bit, also, and more importantly, I would like to identify my windows by something other than its title as it will change depending on some factors and im using two different programs independently as multi threading isn't supported.
      Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
    • xtcislove
      By xtcislove
      Hello, 
      i have a Problem with  _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes, everything is working as excepted if u are on Windows 7.

But if u are on Windows 10 the transparent background of a control is not clickable anymore. 

Could someone help?

Please see example below, put cmd.jpg into the same folder as Example.au3

Please see trigger.jpg to see which sections are not clickable in Windows 10 (the red dots, the green dots are clickable) on Windows 7 the red ones and green ones are clickable.

The same problem occurs if i use 

Example.au3