CaptainSparky

Get array's number of slots in use?

CaptainSparky

So I was looking everywhere about getting an array's number of slots in use... and found nothing.

Is this even possible? for example

Global $array[5]

$array[1] = "1 slot in use"

$arrayslotsinuse = ArrayGetSlotsInUse($array)

Thanks in advance :)

...I tried making a counter but didn't work so well.. (it crashed app)

Edited by TheNewHunter

Hello.

If in someway I have helped, please consider liking my post(s).

The formula for the right answer: You + Right Question = Answer

(Think) BEFORE you post.

Melba23

TheNewHunter,

UBound will tell you how many elements are in the array, but not how many are "in use" - often the coder uses the [0] element to keep a count as the array fills.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

CaptainSparky

Yea how many elements, great, thanks!

Hello.

If in someway I have helped, please consider liking my post(s).

The formula for the right answer: You + Right Question = Answer

(Think) BEFORE you post.

javiwhite

If you're looking to include a counter, I would suggest creating a function for adding data to your array.

ReDim is your friend here! 

Example;

#Include<Array.au3> ;Used to display results (_ArrayDisplay)
local $array[1] ; Initialise the array

;Now lets add something to it
AddValueToArray($array,"Dave")
AddValueToArray($array,"Phil")
AddValueToArray($array,"Jake")
_ArrayDisplay($Array) ;Show Results
;Now lets remove Phil, But we want our counter and array to remain neat
RemValueFromArray($array,"Phil")
_ArrayDisplay($Array) ;Show Results

func AddValueToArray( byRef $iArray,$iValue)
    local $uBound = uBound($iArray,1) ;Get max element number of array
    reDim $iArray[$uBound + 1] ;Re Dimension the array, Without removing information
    $Array[$uBound] = $iValue ; Add the new value
    $Array[0] += 1 ; Increment the counter by 1
EndFunc

Func RemValueFromArray( byRef $iArray,$iValue)
    local $tArray = $iArray ;Store data in a temporary array
    Dim $iArray[1] ;Reset the array to empty (so we can rebuild it)
    for $i = 1 to $tArray[0] ;Loop through temporary array
        if $tArray[$i] = $iValue then ContinueLoop ;We've found the remove value! Lets continue the loop and ignore it.
        AddValueToArray($iArray,$tArray[$i]) ;The above line was false, So we can run the AddValueToArray Command to add the data
    Next ;Continue the for loop
EndFunc

Cheers

Javi

give a man an application, and he'll be frustrated for the day, Teach him how to program applications and he'll be frustrated for a lifetime.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Burgs
      By Burgs
      Greetings,
        I seem to be having a problem trying to insert values into an array in excess of the size of the array (its Ubound value).  I thought the command would simply 'ReDim' the array in order to add another value...however that does not seem to be happening.  My code is as below:

;**SET DYNAMIC ARRAY DIMENSIONS... $vValue = Int($_STRUCTURE_LEVEL - 1) ;seek the '$_HIERARCHY' level that is one 'previous' to the 'current' value...! $iStart = 0 ;set to begin search from element "0" in array... Do $_Files_Located = _Arraysearch($_HIERARCHY, $vValue, $iStart) if Int($_Files_Located) <> -1 Then $iEnd = 1 For $_RIGGING = 0 to Ubound($_LINE_DETAIL3) - 1 _ArrayInsert($_STRUCTURES, $_Files_Located + $iEnd, String($_LINE_DETAIL3[$_RIGGING])) _ArrayInsert($_HIERARCHY, $_Files_Located + $iEnd, Int($_STRUCTURE_LEVEL)) _ArrayInsert($_INFERIOR_TMPLS, $_Files_Located + $iEnd, Int(-1)) $iEnd += 1 ;increment EACH ITERATION... Next ;Next $_RIGGING EndIf ;'$_Files_Located' NOT "-1"...value for previous '$_STRUCTURE_LEVEL' ;was located in '$_HIERARCHY' array... $iStart += (Ubound($_LINE_DETAIL3) + 1) ;increment the offset index element position to begin the next search... ;"+ 1" to INCLUDE the 'parent' ('searched') UNIT...! Until $_Files_Located == -1 ;end loop when previous '$_STRUCTURE_LEVEL' is NOT found in '$_HIERARCHY' array... ;**  
        This code routine works perfectly fine except when the 'searched' value ($_Files_Located) happens to be the final element position in the searched array...how can I modify this routine so that the final additions at the end of the array(s) are made?  I thank in advance for any replies. 

• DarkFingers1337
      By DarkFingers1337
      Hey,
      what is more efficient, using multiple arrays or one multidimensional array?

; Hamster data structure using multiple arrays Global $HamsterCount = 6 Global $HamsterX[$HamsterCount] Global $HamsterY[$HamsterCount] ;giving each hamster an x and y position For $i=0 To $HamsterCount-1 $HamsterX[$i] = 0 $HamsterY[$i] = 0 Next ; The same hamster data structure using one multidimensional array Global $HAMSTER_COUNT = 6 Global Enum $HAMSTER_X, _ $HAMSTER_Y, _ $HAMSTER_MAX Global $Hamsters[$HAMSTER_COUNT][$HAMSTER_MAX] ;giving each hamster an x and y position For $i=0 To $HAMSTER_COUNT-1 $Hamsters[$i][$HAMSTER_X] = 0 $Hamsters[$i][$HAMSTER_Y] = 0 Next  
    • Skysnake
      By Skysnake
      I know how JSON works. However JSON data is typically received from web based servers. 

My question is:
      Has anyone considered to use, or currently actively using JSON as an internal data container? 
      Internal here as in an ordinary AutoIt data type, generated, populated and manipulated within an AutoIt script, without any external data sources. 
      The JSON and BinaryCall UDFs work well and appear the de facto defaults. Are there any thoughts on using JSON for internal variable values instead of the typical array? 
      Also, there can be situations where such a JSON collection contains an array and it will have to be parsed using typical array functions. 
      Currently I am working on a small project where I have to keep and use various identifiers from different sources. There are several ideas in this regard, some involving SQL child tables and arrays stored with keys (maps), which lead me to think that JSON may be a more suitable data container. It readily shrinks and stretches, allowing for dynamic data growth.  JSONs ability to add new repeating data groups on the fly makes it particularly powerful and appealing. 
      Ideas and suggestions welcome
      Skysnake
    • XinYoung
      By XinYoung
      Hello all! I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday festivities. 
      I'm working on a script that involves copying a string of text from an Excel workbook and searching for it in a particular website's search tool. If a result is found, it will do something. If not, it will do something else.
      So far, it can successfully execute the search -- and then it shows me the results in an array.
      Screenshot of the successful search:

The search results in an array:

Here's the code (sorry for all my comments):
      ;~ All the functions this app performs require the external files listed here. So, theyre "included". #include <ButtonConstants.au3> #include <EditConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <StaticConstants.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <WinAPIFiles.au3> #include <Array.au3> #include <File.au3> #include <Excel.au3> #include <DateTimeConstants.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <WinAPIShellEx.au3> #include <Date.au3> #include <ComboConstants.au3> #include <Misc.au3> #include <WinAPIProc.au3> #include <WinAPISys.au3> #include <WinAPIConstants.au3> #include <Crypt.au3> #include <ColorConstants.au3> #include <guimenu.au3> #include <IE.au3> ;~ Kill all functions and close the app at anytime by pressing F4. HotKeySet("{F4}", "_Exit") ;~ Keep track whether or not a file is selected. When the program first opens, a file is currently not selected. Global $FileChosen = 0 ;~ The app must remember certain strings of text: ;~ 1. Login page Global $urlBBLogin = "website.com" ;~ 2. Credentials Global $bbUsername = "USER" Global $bbPassword = "PW" ;~ 3. Search page Global $urlBBCourseSearch = "website.com/search" ;~ When you launch the app, the UI gets built and is displayed to the user in the center of the screen. the "Function" buttons are disabled until a file is chosen. $MasterUI = GUICreate("Master Re-Creator", 469, 145, -1, -1) $Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Choose the Excel file", 8, 8, 103, 17) $Select = GUICtrlCreateButton("Select File", 16, 32, 75, 25) $FileName = GUICtrlCreateLabel("[No File Selected]", 104, 40, 88, 17) $Group1 = GUICtrlCreateGroup("Functions", 8, 72, 449, 65) $CheckCourse = GUICtrlCreateButton("Check Courses Exist", 24, 96, 123, 25) GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_DISABLE) $DeleteCourse = GUICtrlCreateButton("Delete Courses", 168, 96, 123, 25) GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_DISABLE) $CopyCourse = GUICtrlCreateButton("Copy Courses", 312, 96, 123, 25) GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_DISABLE) GUICtrlCreateGroup("", -99, -99, 1, 1) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ;~ While the UI is open, it listens for triggers (in this case, button presses). While 1 $UI = GUIGetMsg() Select ;~ If the app is closed, the _Exit() function is performed (same function the F4 hotkey calls). Case $UI = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE _Exit() ;~ The user has clicked the "Select File" button, the _LocateGetFileName() function is performed. Go there. Case $UI = $Select _LocateGetFileName() ;~ The user has clicked the "Check Courses Exist" button. Case $UI = $CheckCourse _CheckCourses() ;~ Other buttons are not ready EndSelect WEnd ;~ The user clicked the "Select File" button. This function will execute now. Func _LocateGetFileName() ;~ Prepare the app to take note of the details of a file. Local $sDrive = "", $sDir = "", $sFileName = "", $sExtension = "" ;~ Open a File Explorer to allow the user to select a file. Only Excel files are allowed to be chosen. Global $ChosenFileName = FileOpenDialog("Locate File", @DesktopDir, "Excel Files (*.xlsx)|Excel Macro Files (*.xlsm)", BitOR(1, 2), "") If @error Then Return 0 EndIf ;~ When an Excel file is selected, remember of the files location (path), file name, and file extension. $aPathSplit = _PathSplit($ChosenFileName, $sDrive, $sDir, $sFileName, $sExtension) ;~ Show me what file I selected in a Message Box. MsgBox(0, "Selected File", $sFileName) ;~ Display the chosen file name in the UI label (previously [No File Selected]) and make it green. GUICtrlSetData($FileName, "") $FileName = GUICtrlCreateLabel($sFileName, 104, 40) $FileName = GUICtrlSetColor($FileName, 0x32CD32) ;~ A file is now selected. The "Function" buttons are now enabled. Global $FileChosen = 1 GUICtrlSetState($CheckCourse, $GUI_ENABLE) GUICtrlSetState($DeleteCourse, $GUI_ENABLE) GUICtrlSetState($CopyCourse, $GUI_ENABLE) EndFunc ;==>_LocateGetFileName ;~ The user clicked the "Check Courses" button. This function will execute now. Func _CheckCourses() ;~ Disable the "Function" buttons again to prevent multiple processes. GUICtrlSetState($CheckCourse, $GUI_DISABLE) GUICtrlSetState($DeleteCourse, $GUI_DISABLE) GUICtrlSetState($CopyCourse, $GUI_DISABLE) ;~ Open a IE window and navigate to the login page. Global $oIE = _IECreate($urlBBLogin) ;~ Recognize the form on this page (login input boxes). Local $oForm = _IEFormGetObjByName($oIE, "login") Local $oTextLogin = _IEFormElementGetObjByName($oForm, "user_id") Local $oTextPass = _IEFormElementGetObjByName($oForm, "password") ;~ Enter the Automation user credentials into the form. _IEFormElementSetValue($oTextLogin, $bbUsername) _IEFormElementSetValue($oTextPass, $bbPassword) ;~ Click the Login button. _IEFormSubmit($oForm) ;~ Now that were logged in, navigate to the course search page. _IENavigate($oIE, $urlBBCourseSearch) ;~ Change the search criteria to "Course ID" _bbCourseSearchCategoryChange("Course ID") ;~ Open the selected Excel file Local $oAppl = _Excel_Open() Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oAppl, $ChosenFileName, Default, Default, True) ;~ Copy just whats in cell A1 (for now) _Excel_RangeCopyPaste($oWorkbook.Worksheets(1), "A1") Global $WhatsCopied = ClipGet() ;~ Paste whats copied into the search text box and click submit Local $oForm = _IEGetObjByName($oIE, "courseManagerFormSearch") Local $oSearchString = _IEFormElementGetObjByName($oForm, "courseInfoSearchText") _IEFormElementSetValue($oSearchString, $WhatsCopied) _IEFormSubmit($oForm) ;~ Lets see what we got from the search Local $oBBTable = _IETableGetCollection($oIE, 2) Local $aBBTableData = _IETableWriteToArray($oBBTable) _ArrayDisplay($aBBTableData) EndFunc ;==>_CheckCourses ;~ This function allows changing the search criteria. Func _bbCourseSearchCategoryChange($sCategoryToSearch) Local $aSearchCategory[6] = ["Course ID", "Course Name", "Description", "Instructor", "Data Source Key", "Term"] Local $oForm = _IEGetObjByName($oIE, "courseManagerFormSearch") Local $oSearchCategory = _IEGetObjByName($oForm, "courseInfoSearchKeyString") _IEAction($oSearchCategory, "focus") _IEFormElementOptionSelect($oSearchCategory, $aSearchCategory[$sCategoryToSearch], 1, "byText") EndFunc ;==>_bbCourseSearchCategoryChange ;~ All exit commands, including F4, calls this function Func _Exit() Exit EndFunc ;==>_Exit  
      My main question is: How do I create an If... Then based on what is found in the search results? I need additional tasks to run if Col 1, Row 2 in the array contains the exact string I searched for. (Am I going about this the right way?)
      My next question (I might make a new thread for): How do I make the whole thing loop, as in, copy the next cell in the Excel sheet and do the whole thing over again until there's no more? I understand that a For/Next loop thingy would be used. I just don't know how. Loops are really confusing to me.
      Thank you all for your guidance and have a happy new year!
    • lattey
      By lattey
      hi,
      i have checkboxes and each checkbox that checked, i put in array. 
      now, im stuck on how to loop the checked array and store in in one variable. what i can do now, is only write the result into a text file. 
      below is the code:
      #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> ;~ #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <ButtonConstants.au3> #include <Array.au3> Global $Count = 3 Global $CheckBoxP[$Count] Global $step[$Count] global $array1[1] Global $ExitResult $hGUI = GUICreate("Summary Steps", 500, 400) GUISetFont(12, 400, "Tahoma") GUICtrlCreateLabel( "Please Select the Summary Steps for Script Check", 70, 20) GUISetFont(10, 400, "Tahoma") Global $array_Pstep[3] = ["fix2","fix1","fix3"] global $step[3] = ["2","3","4"] $Spacing = 50 For $i = 0 To UBound($array_Pstep) - 1 $CheckBoxP[$i] = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($array_Pstep[$i], 80, $Spacing + (20 * $i), 65, 17) Next $submit = GUICtrlCreateButton("Submit",180, 280, 80, 30) $exit = GUICtrlCreateButton("Exit",180, 320, 80, 30) GUISetState() While 1 $Msg = GUIGetMsg() Select case $Msg=$submit For $i = 0 To $Count - 1 If GUICtrlRead($CheckBoxP[$i]) = $GUI_CHECKED Then _ArrayAdd($array1, $step[$i]) EndIf Next Global $logfilerray = @WorkingDir & "\checkedlist.txt" FileDelete ($logfilerray) Global $readlogfile = FileOpen($logfilerray,1) for $a = 1 to UBound($array1) - 1 ;~ $var=$array1[$a] FileWriteLine($readlogfile,$array1[$a]) Next FileClose($readlogfile) Exit case $Msg=$exit $ExitResult = MsgBox(1,"Summary Step", "Continue to Exit ?") if $ExitResult = 1 Then ;ok Exit EndIf Exit EndSelect WEnd