EXE is 25% bigger with 3.3.14 than with 3.3.8.1

Hi,

I am using a bat-file for compiling with the following command line:
aut2exe /in %1.au3 /out %1.exe /icon %2.ico /comp 4 /pack
(this bat is called by other bat-files, but that doesn't matter here)

The exe is about 25% bigger than before. Before I used 3.3.8.1, now I am using 3.3.14.
438 KB vs. 555 KB

How can I get the file size of the exe like it was with 3.3.8.1 or at least close to that?

Regards
dolphins

• Moderators

dolphins,

You cannot. The interpreter which is the executable itself using yoru script as a resource) is larger in 3.3.14.# for several reasons:

• New functions were added to the AutoIt core code.
  • A full maths library was added so that more accurate maths operations were possible.
  • The exectuable is no longer autoamtically compressed with upx in order to try and reduce the AV false positives associated with that app.

And finally, an increase from 438kb to 555kb is hardly catastrophic. I have a 1Tb drive so it would take a fair few of either size to fill it....

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

The exectuable is no longer autoamtically compressed with upx in order to try and reduce the AV false positives associated with that app.

But if we use upx then we can make the compiled script smaller, right?

I think the OP does not care if his complied script rings the bells for the AV :unsure:

P.S Correct your speelings :P

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

It's not catastrophic. But if you have to transfer some of those files from the cloud to the client the size starts to matter.

Thanks for your explanation.

BTW: I am using 3.3.14.0 instead of the newest version since my AV rings the bells ALWAYS with the newest version. But 3.3.14.0 is ok for the AV ... oh well

Edited by dolphins

Wew wew wew grammar police pull over.

I thought M23's response was sufficient but since others decide to chime ... 

When I cared for such things I found Mpress by matcode software to have in some cases a better compression ratio than the much loved upx. 

These tools and practices are however left to the users discretion and to be honest relics of a time best left remembered because of their misuse they have little place in the modern software distribution environment.

This is of course mere opinion.

Vlad

wtfpl-badge-1.png

AutoItSC.bin (and its x64 variant) are now embedded in Aut2Exe's resource table in an a3x like format, perhaps that is why John.

With modern versions of AutoIt (post 3.3.8.1) since the script is embedded in the standalones resource table you no longer have to worry about Mpress not supporting the overlay data, so you can now use it on an already built standalone should you wish to.

wtfpl-badge-1.png