Since Office 2013 Excel uses the same instance to open Excel sheets.

E.g. if your app starts Excel using COM (Excel.au3) and you open another Excel sheet from windows explorer than this sheet will be attached to your instance.

When you close your app it will automatically close also the other attached sheet.

Is it possible to implement in AutoIt something like this here?

Source: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/25794163-d33b-478b-af6a-7dd0bf437380/how-to-make-sure-that-opening-a-workbook-starts-a-new-excel-process-and-does-not-use-the-existing?forum=exceldev

Process excelProcess = new Process();
            string filePath = @"C:\Users\Person\Desktop\OPen.xlsx";
            excelProcess.StartInfo.FileName = @"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\EXCEL.EXE";
            excelProcess.StartInfo.Arguments = @"/x " +filePath;
            excelProcess.Start();
           Thread.Sleep(10000);

Excel.Workbook workbook = Marshal.BindToMoniker(filePath) as Excel.Workbook;

Excel.Application excelApp = workbook.Application;

Console.WriteLine(excelApp.ActiveWorkbook.Name);
            excelApp.Quit();

I'm using

_Excel_Open(False, False, True, True, True)

but it doesn't work.

Thanks.

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Hi, @UEZ. This opens in a separate process for me, or am I misunderstanding what you're after?

#include <Excel.au3>

$oExcel1 = _Excel_Open()
$oExcel2 = _Excel_Open()

$oWorkbook1 = _Excel_BookNew($oExcel1)
$oWorkbook2 = _Excel_BookNew($oExcel2)

I'm developing an app using Excel COM to display a rack layout according to the Excel sheet data.

My problem is that when I open Excel in my app using

_Excel_Open(False, False, True, True, True)

it opens Excel hidden in the background as a new instance. So far so good but if I'm opening another Excel sheet using windows explorer this newly opened Excel sheet will be attached to the Excel.exe process which I've opened within my app.

When I close my app it will also close the external opened Excel sheet. Ideally would somehow to open Excel COM within a script using the /x parameter and attach the Excel COM to this opened Excel process.

This is what the code above is doing.

Imho the instance handling with Excel 2013 is regarding this issue not good solved.

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jantograaf
      Hi all,
      I'm trying to write a script that connects with a VBA/COM API to get the status of a connected phone. I've been looking up and down this forum for tips or other user's experiences, but I can't seem to find anything (even remotely) similar. It shouldn't be so hard to do, however.
      Software I'm trying to connect to
      I'm trying to integrate CallCenter by using their API, which is documented over here : JustRemotePhone API Reference
      Things I've tried
      I've tried using ObjCreate but I don't get any result, it always returns the same (negative) error.
      #Version 1 tried ObjCreate("JustRemotePhone.RemotePhoneService") #Version 2 tried ObjCreate("JustRemotePhoneCOM.RemotePhoneService") #Version 3 tried ObjCreate("JustRemotePhoneCOM.RemotePhoneService.Application") None of the three versions I tried seem to deliver any result other than a negative error value which basically says that the given class is not valid.
      I am starting to get the hang of AutoIt by now, but unmanaged programming languages and object-oriented stuff is still quite a grey zone for me. If anyone could help me 'talk' to this application, I'd be immensely grateful!
      Thanks in advance and kind regards from Belgium!

Jan
    • By Rhidlor
      Quick question, when working with Excel, does each workbook require its own Excel instance, or can multiple workbooks be opened off of the same Excel instance? I tested both ways, on the surface they both seemed to work, just thought I'd ask here to make sure before proceeding any further. Thanks!
      Disclaimer: The following is pseudo code
      $excel_instance1 = _Excel_Open() $workbook1 = _Excel_BookOpen($excel_instance1, @ScriptDir & "\book1.xlsx") $workbook2 = _Excel_BookOpen($excel_instance1, @ScriptDir & "\book2.xlsx") Or
      $excel_instance1 = _Excel_Open() $workbook1 = _Excel_BookOpen($excel_instance1, @ScriptDir & "\book1.xlsx") $excel_instance2 = _Excel_Open() $workbook2 = _Excel_BookOpen($excel_instance2, @ScriptDir & "\book2.xlsx")  
    • By TheDcoder
      Hello everyone, I am working on a project which requires reading a few values from Excel, the catch is that I need it to be very fast... unfortunatley I found out that read operations using the supplied Excel UDF are very slow, more than 150 ms for each operation on average
      Here is my testing setup that I made:
      #include <Excel.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> Global $iTotalTime = 0 Test() Func Test() Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open() Local $oBook = _Excel_BookAttach("Test.xlsx", "FileName", $oExcel) Local $sSheet = "Sheet1" If @error Then Return MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, "Excel Failed", "Failed to attach to Excel") Local $iNum For $iRow = 1 To 6 Time() Local $iNum = Number(_Excel_RangeRead($oBook, $sSheet, "A" & $iRow)) If ($iNum = 1) Then ConsoleWrite("Row " & $iRow & " is 1 and value of column B is " & _Excel_RangeRead($oBook, $sSheet, "B" & $iRow)) Else ConsoleWrite("Row " & $iRow & " is not 1") EndIf ConsoleWrite(". Reading took: ") Time() Next ConsoleWrite("The whole operation took " & $iTotalTime & " milliseconds." & @CRLF) EndFunc Func Time() Local Static $hTimer Local Static $bRunning = False If $bRunning Then Local $iTime = Round(TimerDiff($hTimer), 2) $iTotalTime += $iTime ConsoleWrite($iTime & @CRLF) Else $hTimer = TimerInit() EndIf $bRunning = Not $bRunning EndFunc And Test.xlsx in CSV format:
      1,-1 -1,1 1,-1 1,1 -1,-1 1,1 Here is the actual xlsx but it should expire in a week: https://we.tl/t-EVkxGp1kc6
      And finally output from my script:
      Row 1 is 1 and value of column B is -1. Reading took: 276.06 Row 2 is not 1. Reading took: 163.36 Row 3 is 1 and value of column B is -1. Reading took: 302.58 Row 4 is 1 and value of column B is 1. Reading took: 294.65 Row 5 is not 1. Reading took: 152.33 Row 6 is 1 and value of column B is 1. Reading took: 284.92 The whole operation took 1473.9 milliseconds.  
      Taking ~1.5 seconds for reading 6 rows of data is bad for my script, which needs to run as fast as possible . It would be nice if I can bring this down to 100 ms somehow, I am not very experienced working with MS office so I thought about asking you folks for help and advice on how I can optimize my script to squeeze out every bit of performance that I can get from this script

Thanks for the help in advance!
    • By SlackerAl
      I have been using some AutoIt scripts to manipulate Excel for a few weeks now. Today they stopped working. I have rebooted the PC and I'm not aware of any other significant changes. I can start and use Excel conventionally without a problem, but any attempt to create an excel object from AutoIt fails. E.g
      #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <Excel.au3> Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open() If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Excel UDF: _Excel_Open Example 1", "Error creating the Excel application object." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended) Produces:
      @error = 1
      @extended = -2147221005
      I can't find that COM error listed anywhere... Anyone have any ideas?
    • By Eggie6
      Hi,
      I'm trying to write an formula to the excel, but it actually does not write anything into the cell, any ideas?
      $formula1="=MID(B"&$utakmice&",SEARCH("-",B"&$utakmice&")-1,1)" _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, $oWorkbook.Activesheet, $formula1, "C"&$smth)