genbadger

Simple? Editing a .txt file with gcode, making first and last line the same

5 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Hi All,

I'm not too code savvy but I know this is a simple one! Here's my problem, I have a folder with text files containing gcode. they are appended .nc, .ngc, and .gcode randomly. I can rename them all .ngc which is my preferred file type. In these files there's lines of gcode, carrying commands for a CNC. What I need to do is remove some comments from the beginning and format the text a certain way. I'll show an example of the original file and what I need it to look like. The files can be 20 lines or 10,000 long depending on the part.

Old text:

( Header 1 text                      )
( Header 2 text                      )
G90   (set absolute distance mode)
G90.1 (set absolute distance mode for arc centers)
G17   (set active plane to XY)
G21   (set units to mm)
#<z_safe> =  0.250 
#<plunge_feed> =     5 

(---------------------------------------------------------)
G0 X 17.2644 Y 1.6127
M03 
G1 X 2.2842 Y 8.0674 F 0.01 
G1 X 15.3642 Y 17.8133
G1 X 17.2644 Y 1.6127
M05 
G0 X 0.0000 Y 0.0000
M05 

M02 

What it needs to look like:

G90
G21
G0 X17.2644 Y1.6127

M03
G1  X2.2842 Y8.0674  <--- copy and paste above the next m05
G1  X15.3642 Y17.8133
G1  X17.2644 Y1.6127

G1  X2.2842 Y8.0674  <--- pasted here
M05

G0 X0.000 Y0.000
M05
M02

Some things to note: g90 sets absolute coordinate mode, g21 tets units to mm, g0 is first coordinate to move the tool to. 

This is an important step: m03 is what turns on a laser. I need the first coordinate after every m03 to be copied to the line above m05 for each chunk of gcode. the very last m05 before the m02 needs to be ignored. There are multiple chunks with m03 x,ys then m05. each chunk is going to have different coordinates after the m03.

I have no idea where to start other than find the line with the wanted string, m03. dont know how to handle m05 though... any help is very much appreciated!

Edited by genbadger

G90
G21
G0 X17.2644 Y1.6127

M03
G1  X2.2842 Y8.0674
G1  X15.3642 Y17.8133
G1  X17.2644 Y1.6127
G1  X2.2842 Y8.0674
M05

M03
G1  X3.14159 Y1.1111
G1  X15.3642 Y17.8133
G1  X17.2644 Y1.6127
G1  X3.14159 Y1.1111
M05

M03
G1  X4.5678 Y8.6753
G1  X15.3642 Y17.8133
G1  X17.2644 Y1.6127
G1  X4.5678 Y8.6753
M05

M03
G1  X7.7777 Y8.0674
G1  X15.3642 Y17.8133
G1  X17.2644 Y1.6127
G1  X7.7777 Y8.0674
M05

G0 X0.000 Y0.000
M05
M02

another example of a very small gcode file, notice how each m03 has a unique line following it and pasted above the next m05, not all the m05's, just the very next one

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

Here :)

$sFilePath=@ScriptDir & "\test.txt"
$aFileContents=FileReadToArray($sFilePath) ; read all file lines to an array
$NumOfLines=@extended
$i=0
$sNewFileContents=""
$LineToCopy=""

While $i<$NumOfLines
    ConsoleWrite("line " & $i & ":" & $aFileContents[$i] & @CRLF)
    If $aFileContents[$i]="M03" Then
        ConsoleWrite("Found M03" & @CRLF)
        $LineToCopy=$aFileContents[$i+1] ; extract the line that comes after the M03 line
    ElseIf $aFileContents[$i]="M05" And $sNewFileContents<>"" Then
        ConsoleWrite("Found M05" & @CRLF)
        $sNewFileContents=$sNewFileContents & $LineToCopy & @CRLF ;append last saved line to contents
        $LineToCopy=""
    EndIf
    $sNewFileContents=$sNewFileContents & $aFileContents[$i] & @CRLF
    $i=$i+1

WEnd

ClipPut($sNewFileContents)

Change ClipPut with FileWrite().

Edited by ahmet

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

Here :)

$sFilePath=@ScriptDir & "\test.txt"
$aFileContents=FileReadToArray($sFilePath) ; read all file lines to an array
$NumOfLines=@extended
$i=0
$sNewFileContents=""
$LineToCopy=""

While $i<$NumOfLines
    ConsoleWrite("line " & $i & ":" & $aFileContents[$i] & @CRLF)
    If $aFileContents[$i]="M03" Then
        ConsoleWrite("Found M03" & @CRLF)
        $LineToCopy=$aFileContents[$i+1] ; extract the line that comes after the M03 line
    ElseIf $aFileContents[$i]="M05" And $sNewFileContents<>"" Then
        ConsoleWrite("Found M05" & @CRLF)
        $sNewFileContents=$sNewFileContents & $LineToCopy & @CRLF ;append last saved line to contents
        $LineToCopy=""
    EndIf
    $sNewFileContents=$sNewFileContents & $aFileContents[$i] & @CRLF
    $i=$i+1

WEnd

ClipPut($sNewFileContents)

Change ClipPut with FileWrite().

wow so quick! thank you very very much! I'm off to try it now! 

EDIT: Could you advise me how to use the script? I replaced ClipPut with Filewrite() and added the path to the file but when i run it, no errors occur but no file change occurs either.. 

Edited by genbadger

If you want to write to the file you read from use the following code

$hFile=FileOpen($sFilePath,$FO_OVERWRITE) ; you have to include  <FileConstants.au3> or use 2 instead of $FO_OVERWRITE
FileWrite($sFilePath,$sNewFileContents) 
FileClose($hFile)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• robcull
      By robcull
      Hello all! I have had some issues reading text from different types of windows, occasionally, specifically with controlgettext. 
      **Before I begin, I know there are better ways to do what I attempt in the example below. That's not the point of this post. The point is my issues with controlgettext. 
      I am about to cite an example with an application you may be familiar with called SpeedFan (v4.52). My problem is not specific to speedfan, it is simply the most recent and easily reproducible example I can think of. 
      So, the goal of the script below is to get a string of text containing the current fan RPMs from the highlighted control in the screenshot below (see "speedfan_control_details.png").

Now, here's a simple script for grabbing the window handle and reading the text from that control: 
      $wintitle = "SpeedFan 4.52" $controlID = "197934" ;will be reformatted as "[ID:######]" $hwnd = wingethandle($wintitle) if @error<>0 then msgbox(0, "WinGetHandle", "FAILURE. @error="&@error) Exit EndIf $text = ControlGetText($hwnd, "", "[ID:"&$controlID&"]") if @error=1 then msgbox(0, "ControlGetText", "FAILURE. @error="&@error) ;failure returns "" and @error=1 Exit EndIf msgbox (0, "ControlGetText", "SUCCESS. @error="&@error &@CRLF& "$text="&$text) ;success returns string and @error=0 You'll see that the ControlGetText operation runs without error, however it does not capture any text from the control. If you explore the other controls in this one window, you'll find mixed results across the board. Neither the temps nor voltages can be read, while the log field and some other elements can be read. Even when you read the text from the whole window, those elements are not included in the visible nor hidden texts. 

I have run into this issue many times in the past- inconsistencies in the ability of autoit to interact with certain controls. What is it which makes this text different than any other readable texts? Is there an alternate method of reading the text in the window/control which could work? Any and all info to help me solve this mystery and satisfy my curiosity would be greatly appreciated. 
      Thanks  -Rob C
      PS: Running Autoit v3.3.14.2 on Win7 Ultimate x64
    • thoms
      By thoms
      Hello Forum,
      I'm trying to vertically center text in label controls, but no way. The search on the forum returns no result, or I don't search the right way
      When I insert a button and a label of same size close to each other, the text is centered on the button, but top aligned on the label, or edit. Which doesn't look really aesthetic
      Any idea is welcome
      Thanks in advance,
      Thoms
    • LoneWolf_2106
      By LoneWolf_2106
      Hi everybody,
      i want to optimize my search code, because i don't think that my solution is "acceptable" from development perspective, it might be optimized.
      I have a text file, i read it and i copy all the entries to an Array, then i have to start a search to see if a specific entry is present. I have about ten different strings to search.
      Func FileSearch($file_content_array, $search) $j=0 For $i = 0 To UBound($file_content_array) - 1 $search_result=StringInStr($file_content_array[$i],$search) If $search_result<>0 Then ReDim $searchResultArray[UBound($searchResultArray) + 1] $searchResultArray [$j] = $file_content_array[$i] $j+=1 EndIf Next Return $searchResultArray EndFunc My solution would be ok for a single search, but in case of multiple searches? would it be still good?
      I have thought to use a 2D Array, where the first column is the array-item and the second column is "yes" or "no". But what about the searches? Do i have to use 10 times the function?
      In case of questions: I have to scan a directory and check whether some files are present or not and then write into another file:"yes, it is present", "no, it is not present".
      Thanks in advance
    • nacerbaaziz
      By nacerbaaziz
      Hello my friends
      I am a totally blind young man
      for easier to read books and articles Among the blind
      i has programmed a tool
      This tool converts text to audio with the possibility to save it into a wav or mp3 file
      It is also compatible with all persons, whether blind or ordinary
      I have completed the work of this tool and want to take your opinion
      i Especially published here for anyone looking about how to convert text to speech, I will put this tool open source for you
      I want to know what your think about it
      and if it need any other additions?
      Note :
      This tool converts texts to audio using sapi 5 voices
      so i was also puted a hot keys to control the tool
      Now I put this project to you for public benefit and I am ready to answer any question.
      Apology :
      I am an Arab youth from Algeria
      I do not mastered English very well
      So I apologize to you if there are written mistakes
      With my greetings and best wishes
      My texts to audio converter.zip
    • FroVN
      By FroVN
      Hi, i want read all text in website doc.google, link : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ePaOK3w4mOi0fmOF7WQmF5kYvAXQtztVI7018wei_xs/edit (This is all my account , don't remember :v) how i read all text in this web? Tks