Sign in to follow this  
Scottswan

Copy folder and file names and write them to a text file

Basically I'm looking to make a snapshot of a whole HD's folders and files in one text file. Just the names. Preferably in alphabetical order.
Folder 1
    File 1
    File 2
    File 3
Folder 2
   Etc

Is there a function that can copy just the names without opening the files? An alternative would be to put each into rename mode and then copy the text, but that is going to be painfully slow.
Thanks.

Hi, @Scottswan take a look at _FileListToArrayRec in the help file. Create an array of all folders, and then write that to your text file.

Edit: I missed the folders and files part. You can still do it with _FileListToArrayRec, just realize it is going to take a while to create such a large array. Can you explain why you need every folder/file on C?

Edited by JLogan3o13

That's what I need, I kept looking in regular functions for something like that.

This is not for an OS drive, yeah that would be a lot of files, and folders! This is for backup drives. Mainly I want to be able to easily see what I have backed up in one physical location so I don't copy the same stuff again to back it up. Not that many folders, but a lot of files. 

Thanks.

From a command prompt navigate to the drive and type 

dir /s >allthethings.txt

and I'll magically have that text file sitting in the root of the drive containing more info than I actually need. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Tippex
      I have a problem with FileOpenDialog using long default filenames ... they always get truncated. 
      For example: 
      "A Long FileName.mpg" as a default would prompt as just "FileName.mpg" (but scrolling left will show it named correctly).
      Does anyone know of a fix for this please (I didn't spot it in a Forum search), or is it one for the bug tracker?
      #include <FileConstants.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> Local Const $sMessage = "Hold down Ctrl or Shift to choose multiple files." Local $sFileOpenDialog = FileOpenDialog($sMessage, @WindowsDir & "\", "Images (*.jpg;*.bmp)|Videos (*.avi;*.mpg)", BitOR($FD_FILEMUSTEXIST, $FD_MULTISELECT), "A Long FileName.mpg") Thanks,
    • By dascondor
      So basically need to pull text from a .txt file or .sql and use that text to replace something within a different file.

First File:
      jumps

Or:
      Text1 = jumps
      Text2 = fence
      Second File:
      My Dog XXXXX over the YYYYY.

After Script:
      My Dog jumps over the fence

I have found a good start, I'm basic programmer at best, I have some experience but this gets out of my wheel house.

Any help is appreciated.

• By Pike
      Hey Everyone, I haven't been here in a while and recently picked up my old project. Still an FNG!
      To the point: I want to be able to push the button and either play an mp3, open a file, or open an exe program (all with the same button). The problem is that I don't know how to code for that at "case 1"
              Case 1                                                                                                                                             
                  Local $sRead = IniRead("config.ini", "Config", "One", "Default")                                
                  SoundPlay($sRead, @HotKeyPressed)                                                                     <-------------------------------
                  Run($sRead, @HotKeyPressed)                                                                                 <------------------------------- This 'Run' doesn't work even by itself!
      See code below for layout. If you need more information I will attach more code or answer any questions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Much Respect,
      Pike

Func _HandleButton() $iClickCount += 1 $iTimer = TimerInit() AdlibRegister("CheckButtonPress", $CheckTime) EndFunc Func CheckButtonPress() If TimerDiff($iTimer) < $CheckTime Or $iTimer = 0 Then Return Switch $iClickCount Case 1 Local $sRead = IniRead("config.ini", "Config", "One", "Default") SoundPlay($sRead, @HotKeyPressed) Run($sRead, @HotKeyPressed) Case 2 MsgBox(0, "INFORMATION:", "Choose the file you want designated to this button") Local $sFileOpenDialog = FileOpenDialog(0, @ScriptDir & "\", "All (*.*)", $FD_FILEMUSTEXIST + $FD_MULTISELECT) If @error Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "No file(s) were selected.") EndIf Local $sFileName = InputBox("INFORMATION:", "Please Name Your File?" & @CRLF _ & @CRLF _ & "6 Characters or Less", "") IniWrite(@ScriptDir & "\config.ini", "Config", "One", $sFileOpenDialog) IniWrite(@ScriptDir & "\config.ini", "Config", "NameOne", $sFileName) EndSwitch $iClickCount = 0 AdlibUnRegister() EndFunc  

• By nacerbaaziz
      hi dears, i have a question please
      am now working for an audio player for the blind users
      and i added an option to open a file from the right click context menu.
      but here there is a small problem, i hope that you can help me to find a solution for it.
      the problem is as follow :
      when i added the problem into the context menu it work with successfuly if the user select just one file.
      but if the user selected more then one file, here the problem
      a multiple sections of the program will open.
      my question is :
      how i can detect the multiple selection from the context menu?
      i know that it so  hard, but i know also that you are harder than it
      for that dears please try to give me an solution for that problem.
      thanks in advance
    • By misioooo
      Hi!

I am writing some GUI and i need to use images as buttons, but with text on them (text is from INI file).
      Part with button looks like this:
      $ankieta1 = GUICtrlCreateButton($txtAnk1, 100,350,765,164) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 22, 800, -1, "Arial") ;GUICtrlSetColor(-1,0xffffff) $hImageBtn_1 = _GUIImageList_Create(765, 164) _GUIImageList_AddBitmap($hImageBtn_1, "c:\path\to\ankieta_clean.bmp") _GUICtrlButton_SetImageList($ankieta1, $hImageBtn_1, 4) GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "On_Ankieta1") The problem - if i uncomment GUICtrlSetColor, color of text changes, but button is just plain gray (no image). How i can change text color not touching image on a button here?