Sign in to follow this  
Tumulus

Use Elevated CMD

Tumulus

I need to create a new administrator account on a number of computers, so figured I would make a script to do it. 

You can only add/modify admin profile from an elevated command prompt (administrator command prompt). So I tried writing that into my short script. I thought that my "RunAs" command below would do the trick, but it opens a standard cmd window through the admin profile.

Anyone able to tell me how to get it to open the elevated cmd?

RunAs("administrator",@ComputerName,$sAdminPassword,0,@ComSpec)
    Sleep (500)

Send("net user /ADD " & $sUsername & " " & $sPassword)
    Send("{ENTER}")

Send("Y")
    Send("{ENTER}")

Send("net user " & $sUsername & " /passwordchg:no")
    Send("{ENTER}")

Send("net localGroup administrators " & $sUsername & " /ADD")
    Send("{ENTER}")

WinClose("C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe")

JLogan3o13

@Tumulus if you are doing this on a "number of computers", why are you not using Active Directory to automate it?

• Like 1

√-1 2^3 ∑ π, and it was delicious!

AdamUL

You can use the Local Account UDF to work with local accounts.  Here is an example.  

Adam

Tumulus

That is a really great question @JLogan3o13. I hadn't even thought to do that. A team lead asked if we could make a script to do it, but it would be much easier in active directory. I'll ask him about that today. 

Also, @AdamUL... That is great! Much easier process for local account management. I can avoid the cmd altogether with those commands right?

However, for the sake of learning, how do I get the cmd to open in an elevated box within an auto it script? We do a lot of scripting and many of our scripts need to operate with administrator permissions. Forgetting the rest of my code (if that is alright), why does this command open a standard cmd window instead of the administrator cmd prompt? 

RunAs("administrator",@ComputerName,$sAdminPassword,0,@ComSpec)

AdamUL

That is correct, you do not need the command window at all.  Also, with the Local Account UDF, you can access remote computers, and setup local accounts.  Just have a look at the function headers.  Also, look in the thread, as other users have submitted other useful functions not included in the UDF.  

RunAs does not give the runas user the Admin Token.  You have to use a workaround to run as a full admin with the Admin Token as a different user.  Here is an example script that shows one way to do it.  The script is wrote to work uncompiled or compiled.  

Adam

Tumulus

I did the script with the UDF and it was awesome! nifty little scripting there (shout out to @engine for the great work).

The example to run an Admin prompt was really helpful too. I got it working on some other scripts. Thanks again!

AdamUL

Your welcome.  I'm glad I could help.  

Adam