Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clariceo0

Free library for resetting windows password?

6 posts in this topic

Recently, I am interested to build a windows app to reset Windows login password as a side off project. I am still a newbie in programming so i am not able to build the app from scratch. Is there any open source  project i could learn from on this?

Hi, @clariceo0, welcome to the forum. A couple of questions to help us help you:

• Are you looking to change the password from within the machine itself or remotely?
  • Are you doing this on domain computers, or just local users on local PCs?
  • Are you wanting to allow users to do this themselves (something sitting on the desktop they can click on), and if so do they have administrative rights to do so?

The more info you can provide us with, the better we can assist you, so we're not throwing out suggestions that may not work for your situation.

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead - it's only difficult for those that know you. It's the same way when you're stupid...

My Scripts: SCCM UDFInclude Source with Compiled Script, Windows Firewall UDF

12 hours ago, JLogan3o13 said:

Hi, @clariceo0, welcome to the forum. A couple of questions to help us help you:

• Are you looking to change the password from within the machine itself or remotely?
  • Are you doing this on domain computers, or just local users on local PCs?
  • Are you wanting to allow users to do this themselves (something sitting on the desktop they can click on), and if so do they have administrative rights to do so?

The more info you can provide us with, the better we can assist you, so we're not throwing out suggestions that may not work for your situation.

thanks for the great suggestion. I just want to change or reset the password of local account. I will write a GUI client for this to help normal users without much technical knowledge.

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

@clariceo0 Usually we follow more of a "teach a man to fish" motto rather than just handing folks scripts, but I had this one lying about. It should give you an idea how to proceed anyway; you will probably need to modify to your needs. Also you'll want to test heavily; it is an older script which I have not tested on Windows 10. Let me know if you have any questions:

#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Local $sUserName, $sPassword

$hGUI = GUICreate("Reset Local Password", 300, 300)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
    GUISetFont(11, 400, Default, "Arial")

$lblUserName = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Username", 115, 10, 65, 30)
    $lblPassword = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Choose New Password", 75, 90, 150, 30)
    $lblVerify = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Verify New Password", 75, 170, 150, 30)

$inpUserName = GUICtrlCreateInput(@UserName, 10, 40, 280, 30, $ES_CENTER)
    $inpPassword = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 120, 280, 30, $ES_PASSWORD)
    $inpVerify = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 200, 280, 30, $ES_PASSWORD)

$btnGo = GUICtrlCreateButton("Change Password", 10, 250, 125, 35)
    $btnClose = GUICtrlCreateButton("Exit", 165, 250, 125, 35)

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, $btnClose
                ExitLoop
            Case $btnGo
                If GUICtrlRead($inpPassword) == GUICtrlRead($inpVerify) Then
                    $sUserName = GUICtrlRead($inpUserName)
                    $sPassword = GUICtrlRead($inpPassword)
                    _changePW($sUserName, $sPassword)
                Else
                    MsgBox(0, "Reset Local Password", "Passwords do not match!")
                EndIf
        EndSwitch
    WEnd

Func _changePW($UserName, $Password)
    $oUser = ObjGet("WinNT://" & @ComputerName & "/" & $UserName)
        If IsObj($oUser) Then
            $oUser.SetPassword($Password)
            $oUser.SetInfo
        EndIf
EndFunc

Edit: Also, although you posted in a C++ forum you didn't specify that you need this done in C++/C. Are you just looking to get the job done, or do you have a language requirement that it needs to be coded in?

Edited by JLogan3o13
1 person likes this

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead - it's only difficult for those that know you. It's the same way when you're stupid...

My Scripts: SCCM UDFInclude Source with Compiled Script, Windows Firewall UDF

#5 ·  Posted (edited)

@JLogan3o13 thanks for the help. I will figure out the code myself and port it into C++.  so i can build a GUI with QT.  I find a good example of the program called UUkeys. Here is the tutorial on how to reset windows password. that is exactly what i am looking for.

Edited by clariceo0

#6 ·  Posted (edited)

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 7:40 AM, Aquarium said:
On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 3:29 AM, clariceo0 said:

Recently, I am interested to build a windows app to reset Windows login password as a side off project. I am still a newbie in programming so i am not able to build the app from scratch. Is there any open source  project i could learn from on this?

You can use the api fuction NetUserChangePassword.

#ifndef UNICODE
#define UNICODE
#endif
#pragma comment(lib, "netapi32.lib")

#include <stdio.h>
#include <windows.h> 
#include <lm.h>

int wmain(int argc, wchar_t *argv[])
{
   DWORD dwError = 0;
   NET_API_STATUS nStatus;
   //
   // All parameters are required.
   //
   if (argc != 5)
   {
      fwprintf(stderr, L"Usage: %s \\\\ServerName UserName OldPassword NewPassword\n", argv[0]);
      exit(1);
   }
   //
   // Call the NetUserChangePassword function.
   //
   nStatus = NetUserChangePassword(argv[1], argv[2], argv[3], argv[4]);
   //
   // If the call succeeds, inform the user.
   //
   if (nStatus == NERR_Success)
      fwprintf(stderr, L"User password has been changed successfully\n");
   //
   // Otherwise, print the system error.
   //
   else
      fprintf(stderr, "A system error has occurred: %d\n", nStatus);

return 0;
}

Edited by Melba23
Removed ad link in quote