Grosminet

WHY a while loop speedup when the mouse is moving

4 posts in this topic

Searching inside the forum, I don't succeed to get any explanation about a strange (for me !) phenomena:

Using AutoIt, I have coded a "cortex of neurons Simulator" for which I handle several neurons activity (Action Potential and Postsynaptic Potential) which take a long time, about 20 ms per neuron to be processed. This is why I need a global loop running about 1s for a global cortex of 50 neurons.

But when I move the mouse (in any direction, like rotating above the GUI) the speed of the loop increase significantly : around x8 times more ... !

This happens only if the GUI has the focus. I did a check with the "Windows Task Manager" where I can see the CPU usage changing every time the mouse is moving (growing from 3% to 15%).

I believe to remember some lecture about the influence of the user events regarding the "Application" capability to anticipate user actions by changing it's rate of pooling events, but I'm not sure it was in an AutoIt forum, or maybe it was in an other "developer forum" (like "Code Project", "Stackoverflow" , or ...?

Could somebody help me to understand this behaviour ?

If possible, is there a programmatic method to manage the speed of a simple "For, Next" loop ? I try to change the Application priority (setting to level 4 with "ProcessSetPriority"), but this seems not very efficient ....

Thanks, Alain.

FYI: I'm using :

• Autoit 3.3.14.2
  • Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
  • Computer ASUS N56V
  • Screen resolution: 1920x1080 (recommended)
  • Theme :Windows Classic

You're probably using GUIGetMsg, that function has a built in sleep when nothing is going on with the GUI, when you're moving the mouse over it or actioning a control the delay is bypassed.

1 person likes this

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thanks for this precision about GUIGetMsg.

The "Remarks" in the AutoIt help indicates something different, No ? : ".... This function automatically idles the CPU when required so that it can be safely used in tight loops without hogging all the CPU. ...."

--> Should it be ?  : ".... This function automatically idles the GUI polling cycle when required so that it can be safely used in tight loops without hogging all the CPU. ...."

Subsequent question: to avoid such "built in sleep" behaviour, could I use the function "GUICtrlSetOnEvent", that means using the option "GUIOnEventMode" set to 1 ?

Alain.

I can confirm after recoding my work that " GUICtrlSetOnEvent" avoids the "built in sleep" behavior of the events mode "0" handling.

Thanks again BrewManNH !

Alain.

( Post can be closed )

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• SkysLastChance
      By SkysLastChance
      I am not sure why I am getting the this error on my second pass of the code.
      1 - $oWorkbook is not an object or not a workbook object
      Any help or advice on my code appreciated. 
      #include <Excel.au3> #include <Array.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> Global $sExcelFile1 = FileOpenDialog("Choose/Create Excel File", @ScriptDir, "(*.xlsm)") Global $sExcelFile2 = FileOpenDialog("Choose/Create Excel File", @ScriptDir, "Excel Sheet (*.xlsx;*.xls)|All (*.*)") Global $vRow = 2 If FileExists($sExcelFile2) Then Global $oExcel2 = _Excel_Open () $oExcel2 = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel2,$sExcelFile2) EndIF If FileExists($sExcelFile1) Then Global $oExcel1 = _Excel_Open () $oExcel1 = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel1,$sExcelFile1,Default,Default,"2007") EndIF $oRead = _Excel_RangeRead ($oExcel2,"Untitled","A2",3) $oFind = _Excel_RangeFind ($oExcel1,$oRead,"E4:FD92",Default,$xlWhole) $Clip = _ArrayToClip($oFind,"",0,0,"",2,2) Send("{ScrollLock Off}") $hWnd = WinWait("[CLASS:XLMAIN]") ControlSend($hWnd, "", "", ("^g")) WinWait("[CLASS:bosa_sdm_XL9]") ; Go To ControlSend($hWnd, "", "", ("^v")) ControlSend($hWnd, "", "", ("{Enter}")) ControlSend($hWnD, "", "", "{Down " & $vRow & "}") Do $oTime = _Excel_RangeRead ($oExcel2,"Untitled","B2",3) If @error Then Exit MsgBox(0, "Error", "Error" & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended) MsgBox(0,"Test",$oTime) IF $oTime = "7:10:00 AM" Then $oCalls1 = _Excel_RangeRead ($oExcel2,Default,"C" & $vRow,3) $oCalls2 = _Excel_RangeRead ($oExcel2,Default,"D" & $vRow,3) ControlSend($hWnd, "", "", $oCalls1) ControlSend($hWnd, "", "", ("{RIGHT}")) ControlSend($hWnd, "", "", $oCalls2) $vRow = $vRow + 1 ContinueLoop Else $vRow = $vRow + 1 EndIf Until $vRow = 4 1.xlsm
      2.xlsx
    • perlabsrat
      By perlabsrat
      Hello, I have a Logitech MX500 mouse, this has 7 buttons plus a wheel.
      I am trying to figure out how to detect clicks on three of the buttons on this mouse but have been unable to do so. I am not running any Logitech software just the standard Windows 7 driver. The buttons are all working fine but when I try to figure out which button was clicked unable to detect three of the buttons.

Using this code snippet I am able to see all the button presses with the exception of these three marked by '?'.
      Is there some alternate method for detecting button clicks? I have been searching for example but have yet to find anything.
      Thanks...

#include <Misc.au3> Dim $a While 1 For $a = 1 To 100 If _IsPressed($a) Then ConsoleWrite("you pressed " & $a & @CRLF) Next WEnd
    • IamKJ
      By IamKJ
      So I have a lot of different functions in the little program I'm making.  Most of them use the Do statement, such as finding images, clicking buttons, etc.

The question I have is how would I be able to both
      1) Create a hotkey to pause whatever I am doing at the moment.  If I have to put something into every function in the program, I don't mind.
      2) Create a hotkey to exit whatever I am doing and stop all loops or commands and bring back the main GUI?
    • nlta1992
      By nlta1992
      I want creat GUI, have button 1 to 10, but only use loop for ... to ... step ... next.
      Thanks.
    • Triblade
      By Triblade
      Hi all,

I was pondering over a question with regards to the speeds of reading something and did not see this kind of question in a forum search.
      The question: What is (technically) faster? Multiple reads from the same 3d array cell, or only once make a 'temp' variable from that cell and read the value from this? I don't know if either has any real impact at all anyway, but just wanted to ask anyway. :-)

There may be a difference if the value holds an integer or a string (or something else) but in my case, is a simple integer.
      To hopefully clarify with a small bit of code:
      $process = $start - 15 If $xy[$process][3] <> "x" Then If _ArraySearch($open, $process, 1, $open[0][0], 0, 0, 1, 1) <> -1 Then UpdateOpen($xy[$process][5], $closed[0][0]) ElseIf $start > 0 And _ArraySearch($closed, $process, 1, $closed[0][0], 0, 0, 1, 0) = -1 Then Add_open($start, $closed[0][0], $counter, $process) EndIf EndIf You can read from this, that the array $closed[0][0] is being read 3 times. And this goes on further in the code I did not show.
      My question boils down to this, should I make a 'temp' variable to hold that $closed[0][0] value until the function is done?

It may not have a real impact on my small script, but I really am interested in the answer at least.

Regards,
      Tri.