LegitStack

Run variable as script

5 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Is there a way to execute the text inside a variable is if it was part of the script?

In this example I'd like to get a message box pop up but I don't: 

;testme.au3
  local $var = 'msgbox(64,"hello","world")'
  $var

is there a command that can be used like maybe 'Exec' or 'Execute' or something?

local $var = 'msgbox(64,"hello","world")'
  Execute $var

Edited by LegitStack

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

Put parentheses around the variable $var in your second example and then run it.

Execute($var)
Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

2 minutes ago, BrewManNH said:

Put parentheses around the variable $var in your second example and then run it.

Execute($var)

thanks. :>

Just a word of caution. If this is being used anywhere someone else can access, you will want to sanitize your input. Otherwise a malicious user could remote code execution on your machine.

False Positive Reporter - Mass email all anti virus vendors with an attachment of your program for fast and easy whitelisting.

PortableApps.com App Creation Wizard  - A simple GUI-based Wizard for creating PortableApps.

SoundBoard - Play any song or sound you want at the press of a hotkey.

My GitHub Page: https://github.com/BetaLeaf

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• kartune
      By kartune
      Hello, i'm trying to rename a variable to another variable name (not the value attached to the variable).  This would save me TONS of coding.
      Here is an example:

<autoit>
      Local $clear1="$SATJ"  ;sets the $clear1 variable to become $SATJ
      GUICtrlSetState($clear1 & "3", $GUI_UNCHECKED)  ;i want this to come out to be $SATJ3, it should look something like - GUICtrlSetState($SATJ3, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
      </autoit>
      Is this possible?  I've been searching all the forums and help files for hours.  My javascript friend referenced me to the solution on JS, which lead me to searching through the "assign" help on autoit, but not much info on it.
      I've already tried
      <autoit>
      Assign($clear1, $SATJ)
      </autoit>

any help is greatly appreciated!!! 
    • rkr
      By rkr
      Hi, I have a software which has a 'run file'-ie; when i double click on that file, the input file of the software is run by the software. I wish to double click/execute this run file using autoit. how do i achieve this. i opened the software and it shows the input file and run file in same folder, i will put my autoitscript file too in same location. how do i simulate double clicking the run file (using its file name, say - abc.run ). I entered the following lines to make software window active - it became active, dont know how to go forward
      Winactivate("program title")
      winwaitactivate("program title")
      controlclick("program title","abc.run",1000,"primary",2) ; 1000 is ctrl id
    • SchneiMi
      By SchneiMi
      Hello,
      following my previous question, I have moved all potentially instable object interactions into Executes. But it Looks like "="-assignments to object Attributes cannot be done with Execute, only method calls. Using an "$obj = 1" construct, it compares (Eval) instead of sets (Execute) the value.
      I have tested multiple different combinations, using Execute and Assign, but it seems not to work with object Attributes. :-(
      Gives following Output:
      The assign Action using apply (a3) Fails, while assigning it directly, without Assign() works fine.
      The execute versions compare and do not assign, in both cases. Though, the "Execute" topic in the help file says it executes, not evaluates.
      I have found a similar, old thread, which explains this behavious but does not give a solution. https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/110228-pass-object-property-as-a-variable/  
      Is there a way to assign to a com object's Attribute? Or is there anything new to this unexpected behaviour of Execute (at least compared to the help file description and Python's exec).

Any help is appreciated, and thank you for all the help so far.
      Regards, Michael

• BlazerV60
      By BlazerV60
      Hello all,
      I've written the code below which launches chrome in incognito mode and then proceeds to go to the autoit website.
      From my understanding, the Run() command is also supposed to output the PID number related to the application that got launched from the Run command.
      However when I run the below lines, it outputs a PID number that is different from the newly launched chrome browser's PID number, does anyone know why and possibly explain how I could retrieve the accurate PID number associated with the newly launched browser?
      Global $iPid = Run(@ComSpec & ' /c start chrome.exe https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/ -incognito' ,"", "") msgbox(0,"",$iPid) Thank you,
      Brian
    • Atoxis
      By Atoxis
      Howdy, this is my first post, massive fan of autoit. 
      I've searched and tried and I would just like people who are better at this than me to let me know if this is even a thing.

I'd like to perform just a variable. For example, it would be. *see inserted code*
      So what i'm wanting is, create the constant $test, and that variable would be what is followed after the = . Then perform the _FileCreate. Then perform the variable.  Logically or in my head rather.. That variable is declared and is equal to what it is set to above, therefore just placing the variable plainly in the script, it should be equal to what it was declared as.  So what am I doing wrong, and or how can I have autoit just perform the variable.  

#include <File.au3> Const $test = FileWriteLine(@DesktopDir & "\Log.txt", @CRLF ) _FileCreate(@DesktopDir & "\Log.txt") $test