Sucre

Get .Net WinForm Application ToolTip Control

5 posts in this topic

I turned to Autoit from AHK just because it support WinForm Application so well. The problem often haunts me that all the application in my job is WinForm. And it indeed help my work so much. Great thanks in advance.

However, I can't get the ToolTip text in the application of my company. Specifically,now I want to get the information about some data, however the information is all displayed in the tooltip on the scatter diagram which is made of those data.

Is there any advice ? Relative topics I have searched can't get any information about the winform tooltip...

@Sucre what information do you get when you hover over the tooltip with the AutoIt Window Info tool (in the same directory where you installed AutoIt)? What is the name of the application, or a screenshot of what you're seeing?

√-1 2^3 ∑ π, and it was delicious!

5 minutes ago, JLogan3o13 said:

@Sucre what information do you get when you hover over the tooltip with the AutoIt Window Info tool (in the same directory where you installed AutoIt)? What is the name of the application, or a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Thank you~

I can't get information about the ToolTip with the Autoit Window Info, because I just can't put the mouse cursor on the ToolTip. I only can hover over the Data Point on the chart, then ToolTip shows the text, and when my mouse move, it disappears at once. I want to set hotkey to get the ToolTip when my mouse hover over the point. Do I make myself clear?

I'm sorry I can't give you more information because of the strict security regulations in my company. The application is a control system of the production. If no solution, I also express my understanding.Thank you!

23 minutes ago, JLogan3o13 said:

I think my problem is very simple, just like  find Tooltip window , the only difference is that my software is WinForm. and so that the answer get nothing of the application, in my judgement.

Solved! Thanks to the inspiration that  find Tooltip window and Control Handle under mouse give me !

The Winform Application ToolTip Control can be easily got with the latter. The only thing to do is changing the $pos1 value properly

And then, it will be found that the situation is partly similar to that of the former !

@bo8ster Thank you so much!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• robcull
      By robcull
      Hello all! I have had some issues reading text from different types of windows, occasionally, specifically with controlgettext. 
      **Before I begin, I know there are better ways to do what I attempt in the example below. That's not the point of this post. The point is my issues with controlgettext. 
      I am about to cite an example with an application you may be familiar with called SpeedFan (v4.52). My problem is not specific to speedfan, it is simply the most recent and easily reproducible example I can think of. 
      So, the goal of the script below is to get a string of text containing the current fan RPMs from the highlighted control in the screenshot below (see "speedfan_control_details.png").

Now, here's a simple script for grabbing the window handle and reading the text from that control: 
      $wintitle = "SpeedFan 4.52" $controlID = "197934" ;will be reformatted as "[ID:######]" $hwnd = wingethandle($wintitle) if @error<>0 then msgbox(0, "WinGetHandle", "FAILURE. @error="&@error) Exit EndIf $text = ControlGetText($hwnd, "", "[ID:"&$controlID&"]") if @error=1 then msgbox(0, "ControlGetText", "FAILURE. @error="&@error) ;failure returns "" and @error=1 Exit EndIf msgbox (0, "ControlGetText", "SUCCESS. @error="&@error &@CRLF& "$text="&$text) ;success returns string and @error=0 You'll see that the ControlGetText operation runs without error, however it does not capture any text from the control. If you explore the other controls in this one window, you'll find mixed results across the board. Neither the temps nor voltages can be read, while the log field and some other elements can be read. Even when you read the text from the whole window, those elements are not included in the visible nor hidden texts. 

I have run into this issue many times in the past- inconsistencies in the ability of autoit to interact with certain controls. What is it which makes this text different than any other readable texts? Is there an alternate method of reading the text in the window/control which could work? Any and all info to help me solve this mystery and satisfy my curiosity would be greatly appreciated. 
      Thanks  -Rob C
      PS: Running Autoit v3.3.14.2 on Win7 Ultimate x64
    • ptrex
      By ptrex
      WHAT : is .NET Common Language Runtime (CLR) Framework
      The Common Language Runtime (CLR) is a an Execution Environment . Common Language Runtime (CLR)'s main tasks are to convert the .NET Managed Code to native code, manage running code like a Virtual Machine, and also controls the interaction with the Operating System.
      As part of Microsoft's .NET Framework, the Common Language Runtime (CLR) is managing the execution of programs written in any of several supported languages. Allowing them to share common object-oriented classes written in any of the languages.
      HOW : To access the CLR environment you need to create an Appdomain Object - _CLR_GetDefaultDomain()
      An AppDomain provides an isolated region in which code runs inside of an existing process.
      Application domains provide an isolation boundary for security, reliability, and versioning, and for unloading assemblies. Application domains are typically created by runtime hosts, which are responsible for bootstrapping the common language runtime before an application is run.
      WHEN : Would you use CLR Runtime Hosts
        1. To access  .NET Class Libraries :
      System System.Collections System.Data System.Drawing System.IO System.Text System.Threading System.Timers System.Web System.Web.Services System.Windows.Forms System.Xml   2. Accessing custom build .Net Assemblies :
        Some Examples (but there are a ton out there)
      AutoItX3 - The .NET Assembly for using AutoItX JSonToXML libr. XMLRPC Libr. .NETPDF libr. .NETOCR Libr WInSCP Libr.  ...   3. To Compile .Net Code into an Assembly
        4. To Run C# or VB.net Code
        5. To Mix AU3 and .Net functionality in your Application

WHERE :  To find documentation about CLR
      First of all you can find a lot on MSDN and here  : Post 4 & Post 6

EXAMPLES : Multiple examples included in Zip !!
      Example : “System.Text.UTF8Encoding”

Example : “System.IO.FileInfo”

Example : “System.Windows.Forms”

Example : AutoItX3 Custom .NET Assembly AutoItX

Example : Compile Code C# and Code VB

Example : Compile Code C# at Runtime

WHO : Created the CLR.au3 UDF
      All credits go to : Danyfirex / Larsj / Trancexx  / Junkew

TO DO : The library is still Work in Process …
      (Some of the GUI Controls are not yet working as expected...)
      Anyone is free to participate in contributing to get the bugs resolved and to expand the CLR.au3 functionality ...
      Enjoy !!
      DOWNLOADS :  (Last updated) 
      - added CLR Constants.au3 - Danyfirex
          - Global Constants added (Magic numbers)
      - added .NET CLR CreateObject vs ObjCreate Example.au3 - Junkew
               • 2 approaches give the same result (only valid for COM Visible Assembly)
               • Includes a function that shows you which Assembly Classes are COM Visible
      - added .Net Conventional COM Objects Examples - ptrex
      - added .NET CLR CreateComInstanceFrom Example - Danyfirex
          - You can use it for Regfree COM Assembly Access
          - System.Activator has 4 methods :
              • CreateComInstanceFrom : Used to create instances of COM objects.
              • CreateInstanceFrom : Used to create a reference to an object from a particular assembly and type name.
              • GetObject : Used when marshaling objects.
              • CreateInstance : Used to create local or remote instances of an object.
      - added .NET Access SafeArrays Using AccVarsUtilities Example - LarsJ
      - added SafeArray Utilities functions in Includes - LarsJ 
      - added .NET Access Native MSCorLib Classes - System - ptrex
          Multiple System Class Examples :
               • System.Random
               •  System.DateTime
               •  System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter
               •  System.IO.FileInfo
               •  System.Int32
               •  System.Double
               •  System.Speech
               • System.Web
      - added Third Party Assembly Access - ptrex
               • WinSCP : https://winscp.net/eng/download.php
               • IonicZip : http://dotnetzip.codeplex.com/

CLRv3a.zip
      .NET CLR Framework for AutoIT.pdf
    • Skeletor
      By Skeletor
      Hi Guys, 
      So with me working in my Virtual Machines in full screen, I often have my Host OS playing music. Now the issue I had was trying to control the Host OS without having to minimise the Guest OS.
      So I thought of this small program. I call it the Volume Control. It resides in the bottom right hand corner of your screen just above the system clock. 
      I'm still working on getting the volume buttons to increase/decrease when you hold down the button.
      Currently, you will need to tap on the volume buttons numerous times to decrease/increase the volume. 
      Any other improvements let me know. 
      The source code, icon and compiled program are already in the zip. 

Volume Controlv1.zip
      Screenshot.bmp
    • breakbadsp
      By breakbadsp
      AutoIT AU3info doeas not detect all gui objects uniquely for .NET GUIs developed in C#.
      this is not working now i am using COM windows approach for this, But its very difficult.
      Please let me know if anyone has done it before.
    • astrionn
      By astrionn
      So I had this Idea of creating a tooltip which shows me my ping.
      That itself was made quickly and I thought too add a couple features.
      I want the tooltip background to be a different color depending on the ping. (good ping is green, medium ping is yellow,...)
      So how do I color in a tooltip? google brought me to this: 

where in the comments I found this:
      $s = "LOW" ToolTip($s, 0, 0, "Battery Information");, $icon) $H_TOOLTIP1 = WinGetHandle($s) DllCall("UxTheme.dll", "int", "SetWindowTheme", "hwnd", $H_TOOLTIP1, "wstr", "", "wstr", "") DllCall("user32.dll", "int", "SendMessage", "hwnd", $H_TOOLTIP1, "int", 1043, "int", 2552550, "int", 0) Sleep(1000) Which I then used in my code with different color codes... Trial and Error brought me these that I wanted to use:

The Problem is if I loop through my code it only sets the color for the 1st loop and then sticks to it.
      The real problem is tho that I don't exactly understand the dllcalls... And I guess that's why it isn't working
      So if someone would be so awesome to explain to me how they work, or at least can give me a list of these parameters then I would really appreciate that and learn something new
      Obviously a solution to my problem is awesome aswell ^^
      I run this under Windows 8.1
      There is my code in a paste.
      https://pastebin.com/q525f7mS