Jdr

More reliable check for file

8 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

I'm trying to check for the existance of a file, on logon the file is there, then gets deleted and after a while recreated. I'm using this code:

Sleep(100)
        If not FileExists($sFile) Then
            Sleep(150)
               If FileExists($sFile) Then
                    GUICtrlSendToDummy($iDummy)

What happens is this: 

1. User logs on, the file is present, or at least it usually is
  2. After about 10 seconds the file gets deleted
  3. Then after about 50 seconds the file gets created again, this is when I need the check, because now the process is finished.

The above code is part of a pretty long do....until false loop running an animation.

The problem is that sometimes this code fails. Without the sleep statements it didn't work at all so I think this is a timing issue. Pretty primitive code I admit, there must be a better way...

Edited by Jdr
typo

So you currently wait 100Ms (0.10 second) initially, then test for the file and then 150Msecs later you test it again?

Jos

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions        Beta files                                                          Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

if i get this right, then you need to play some animation while your script is waiting for the file to re-appear?

well, you can delegate the animation to an external process, and make your waiting loop a lot simpler:

; create the animation
While Not FileExists($sFile)
    Sleep(100)
    ; check for user clicking a cencellation button
WEnd

Edited by orbs

1 hour ago, Jos said:

So you currently wait 100Ms (0.10 second) initially, then test for the file and then 150Msecs later you test it again?

Jos

Yes, I admit that's pretty fast, basically it's constantly checking for the file

1 hour ago, Jos said:

Jos

Yes, I admit that's pretty fast, basically it's constantly checking for the file

45 minutes ago, orbs said:

if i get this right, then you need to play some animation while your script is waiting for the file to re-appear?

well, you can delegate the animation to an external process, and make your waiting loop a lot simpler:

; create the animation
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Yes, that's what happens. Won't  "While Not" miss the beginning when the file is there? How can I get around that?

#7 ·  Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Jdr said:

Won't  "While Not" miss the beginning when the file is there?

the real problem is that you have a single indication (the existence of a file) for two scenarios: before the process begins, and after the process ends. you better come up with a more precise distinction. you can, of course, do this:

; create the animation

; wait for first instance of the file to disappear
While FileExists($sFile)
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

; ok, the first instance disappeared. now wait for the second instance to appear
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

but, you must be absolutely sure that your script runs before the second instance appears! if you miss that, your script will hang at the 1st loop, and never reach to an end.

Edited by orbs

If, per Orbs, you have to be sure your script runs, you may be able to use ProcessExists in a couple of loops to wait for your process to start then stop, one to wait for the script to start running, one to wait for the script to finish.

Meds.  They're not just for breakfast anymore. :'(

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• usmiv4o
      By usmiv4o
      #cs ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- AutoIt Version: 3.2.4.3 Author: usmiv4o Script Function: AutoIt script to check if files in directory are changed. It is usefull for security contra-inteligense measures. Function Name: LoadTripwireDB() Description: Loads database (text file tripwire.txt) and compare files in /test folder for changes. compares Hash (MD5) checksums. If they are not the same starts Initial() Function Name: Initial() Description: Checks directory and makes index of files and their MD5 checksums in text file (tripwire.txt) Function Name: Hush() Description: Checks file and returns its MD5 checksum. Requirement(s): Windows XP Return Value(s): On Success - Returns true. Files are the same as before. On Failure - return false. Example: LoadTripwireDB() #ce ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- #include <Crypt.au3> #include <File.au3> #include <Array.au3> $sDir = @ScriptDir & "\Test" $sFilePath = @ScriptDir & "\tripwire.txt" Func Hush(ByRef $sFile) $sRead = FileOpen( $sFile) $dHash = _Crypt_HashData($sRead, $CALG_MD5) ; Create a hash of the text entered. ConsoleWrite("Hash of file " & $sFile & " is " & $dHash & @CRLF) EndFunc ;ConsoleWrite("Files in Dir are " & $aScriptDir[0] & @CRLF) ;$sFilePath = @ScriptDir & "\Examples.txt" ;_FileWriteFromArray($sFilePath, $aScriptDir, 1) ;_ArrayDisplay($aScriptDir, "1D display") Func Initial() $aScriptDir = _FileListToArray($sDir) for $i = 1 To UBound($aScriptDir) - 1 $dHash = _Crypt_HashData($i, $CALG_MD5) ;ConsoleWrite("File " & $aScriptDir[$i] & " is " & $dHash & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite($aScriptDir[$i] & ":" & $dHash & @CRLF) ;Hush($aScriptDir[$i]) ;FileWrite $hFileOpen = FileOpen($sFilePath, $FO_APPEND) If $hFileOpen = -1 Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "An error occurred when reading the file.") EndIf FileWrite($hFileOpen, $aScriptDir[$i] & ":" & $dHash & @CRLF) Next EndFunc Func Monitor() $aScriptDir = _FileListToArray($sDir) for $i = 1 To UBound($aScriptDir) - 1 Next EndFunc Func LoadTripwireDB() $comparison_ok = false $dArray = _FileListToArray($sDir) ;directory $dArray0 = UBound($dArray) - 1 $fArray = FileReadToArray($sFilePath) ;file $fArray0 = UBound($fArray) ;_ArrayDisplay($dArray, "files array") if $dArray0 = $fArray0 Then ; are file same as recorded in txt file? ;ConsoleWrite("files in monitoring dir: " & $dArray[0] & " = file recorded: " & $fArray0 & @CRLF & $fArray[0]& @CRLF) for $i = 1 To UBound($dArray) - 1 ;ConsoleWrite("i = " & $i & @CRLF) $dHash = _Crypt_HashData($i, $CALG_MD5) ;binary ;$dHash = BinaryToString($dHash) $ffhash = StringSplit( $fArray[$i-1],":") $fhash = $ffhash[2] ;ConsoleWrite("IsBinary $dHash " & IsBinary($dHash) & @CRLF) if $dHash = $fhash Then ;if compared hashes are equal ;ConsoleWrite($fhash & ":" & $dHash & " equal" & @CRLF) ;ConsoleWrite("File: " & $fhash & @CRLF & "Directory: " & $dHash & @CRLF & "equal: yes " & @CRLF) Else ;if compared hashes are not equal ;ConsoleWrite("File: " & $fhash & @CRLF & "Directory: " & $dHash & @CRLF & "equal: not " & @CRLF) ;MsgBox(0,"hash md5",$fhash & ":" & $dHash & " not equal") EndIf Next ;ConsoleWrite("hashes are equal" & @CRLF) $comparison_ok = true Else ConsoleWrite("number of files in monitoring dir are not same as recorded" & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite("directory: " & $dArray[0] &":"& "files: " & UBound($fArray) - 1 & @CRLF) EndIf Return $comparison_ok EndFunc #main if LoadTripwireDB() = true Then ConsoleWrite(" hashes are equal " & @CRLF) ElseIf LoadTripwireDB() <> true Then ConsoleWrite(" hashes are not equal " & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite(" hashes are not equal " & @CRLF) Initial() EndIf  
      tripwire.au3
      tripwire.txt
    • 5ervant
      By 5ervant
      What's the best way to receive file from a desktop app?
      app.exe will execute a cmd with "au3file.exe /path/of/the/file.xml" and the au3file.exe will get and delete that. Or else? THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE QUESTION
      And best way to transfer file to a desktop app?
      au3file.exe do a $_POST request and the app.exe MUST HAVE a local HTTP server that can receive $_POST, but it looks heavy 'cause the app must have a server such XAMPP. au3file.exe execute a cmd with "app.exe /path/of/the/file.xml" and the app.exe will now get that file and delete. Or else?  
    • FrancescoDiMuro
      By FrancescoDiMuro
      Good evening everyone
      I'm working on this little project for a week, and, what I'm trying to do could be useful for many users as well...
      I'm trying to do a "Report Generator", which reads the data that have to report from a text file (.txt) formatted with this pattern;
      Data1;Data2;Data3;Data4;Data5;;

YES, there are 2 semi-colon at the end of the line.

In detail, Data1 is a date/time stamp with this format: YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS ;

When the script starts, the user is prompted to choose 2 dates which I'll call as:
      Report_Date_Start; Report_Date_Start. So, the report, should cover all dates between Report_Date_Start AND Report_Date_End.

And, already at this point, I don't know how to do the query... How can I say to the script:
      SELECT * FROM (.txt) WHERE Data1 BETWEEN Report_Date_Start AND Report_Date_End; ?

I thought that I could do a _DateDiff, but if the difference between the two dates is months and not days, how can I do the trick?
      Should I make a Switch...Case with the _DateDiff() and see then calculate all the dates between Report_Date_Start AND Report_Date_End... But then, how can I compare the dates in the file with all the dates between Report_Date_Start AND Report_Date_End? I'm going crazy, I know...

I've already made a "Export Tool", which exports the content of the .txt file in a .db, managed with SQLite... I mean, there I could easily do a query like I did above the thread, but, this "export", for 1080 rows, takes 28 seconds to be done. And, 1080 rows are daily rows that are added every day in the .txt file, so, in a week, the file could be easily 7000+ rows, which means that the "export" would take 3 minutes to be done... And we can go over and over...
      I'll post just for be "complete" what I've done about the export, so, maybe, someone could say how to improve it in terms of efficency...

Local $aContenutoFileAuditReport = "" _FileReadToArray($sFileAudit_Report, $aContenutoFileAuditReport) If(IsArray($aContenutoFileAuditReport) And Not @error) Then Local $aContenutoFileAuditReport_Splitted = "" Local $sQuery = "" Local $hInizioConteggio = TimerInit() For $i = 1 To UBound($aContenutoFileAuditReport) - 1 $aContenutoFileAuditReport_Splitted = StringSplit($aContenutoFileAuditReport[$i], ";") $sQuery = "INSERT INTO FileDB_Report(DATESTAMP, TIMESTAMP, USER_ID, OBJECT_ID, DESCRIPTION, COMMENT) " & _ "VALUES(" & _ _SQLite_FastEscape($aContenutoFileAuditReport_Splitted[0]) & "," & _ _SQLite_FastEscape($aContenutoFileAuditReport_Splitted[1]) & "," & _ _SQLite_FastEscape($aContenutoFileAuditReport_Splitted[3]) & "," & _ _SQLite_FastEscape($aContenutoFileAuditReport_Splitted[4]) & "," & _ _SQLite_FastEscape($aContenutoFileAuditReport_Splitted[5]) & "," & _ _SQLite_FastEscape($aContenutoFileAuditReport_Splitted[6]) & ");" If(_SQLite_Exec($hFileDB_Report, $sQuery) <> $SQLITE_OK) Then ConsoleWrite("Errore durante l'esecuzione della query #" & $i & @CRLF) Else ConsoleWrite("Query eseguita correttamente #" & $i & @CRLF) EndIf Next ConsoleWrite("Esportazione completata in: " & Round(TimerDiff($hInizioConteggio)/1000, 0) & " secondi") Else MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, "Errore!", "Errore durante la lettura del file nell'array." & @CRLF & "Errore: " & @error) EndIf I know that I can't do queries from a .txt file...
      [19:18] 
      I've been writing this post from 18:40 maybe...
      By the way, if @jchd or someone else could tell me if I can import a formatted .txt file in SQLite and then, do queries on the DB, I'd be very happy for that...
      About the report in PDF, I'm talking with @taietel in order to know how to create a PDF.
      I hope someone will help me
      Sorry for the "long" list of questions...
      Thank you for everything you've done for me
      I have to say that this is the community of programming language that I've loved most!
      By the way, I'll be back tomorrow in the morning ( ~ 9:15 a.m. Italian time ), so, excuse me if I can't answer before that time.
      Hope you guys have a wonderful day/night.

Thanks again

Francesco
    • ur
      By ur
      We can get a list of file using the below code.
      Local $aFileList = _FileListToArray(@DesktopDir, "*") Is there any option to use the above one recursively to get sub folders and their contents also.??
      And also, is there any way to serialize the above array locally to some file and load it later when we want in another program on another machine so that we can compare its contents with a folder in different machine, which is not network connected also.?
    • ur
      By ur
      Hi,

I have a property file format configuration file for our project.
      The sample file is as below.
      BuildLocation:C:\Build BuildExe:erwin Data Modeler r9.7 (64-bit)_2378.exe Release:r9.64.02 Silent:No InstallPath:default Compare :No MartUpgrade :Yes Bit:64 ERwinUpgrade:No License_File:150416-1952 Navigator (ca.com).lic To read this file, I am using below code.
      Func readConfig($sFilePath,$intStartCode) ;Usage: MsgBox(0,"Silent",readConfig(@ScriptDir&"\Config.txt","Silbent")) ;$sReplaceText = "Mani Prakash" ;$sFilePath = "C:\Users\KIRUD01\Desktop\Config.txt" ;$intStartCode = "BuildExe" $arrRetArray = "" $s = _FileReadToArray($sFilePath, $arrRetArray);Reading text file and saving it to array $s will show status of reading file.. For $i = 1 To UBound($arrRetArray)-1 $line = $arrRetArray[$i];retrieves taskengine text line by line If StringInStr($line, $intStartCode) Then ConsoleWrite ("Starting point "& $line & @CRLF) return StringStripWS(StringSplit($line,":")[2],$STR_STRIPLEADING + $STR_STRIPTRAILING ) EndIf if $i = UBound($arrRetArray)-1 then return "Not Found" Next EndFunc The above code is working to read the particular key value.
      But problem is , if I try to read the key "Bit" it is giving the value of key "BuildExe" as the line contains the word "bit"..
      Can you suggest how to do this. 

If possible I need to fix writeConfig also.

Func writeConfig($sFilePath,$intStartCode,$sReplaceText) ;$sReplaceText = "Mani Prakash" ;$sFilePath = "C:\Users\KIRUD01\Desktop\Config.txt" ;$intStartCode = "BuildExe" $arrRetArray = "" $s = _FileReadToArray($sFilePath, $arrRetArray);Reading text file and saving it to array $s will show status of reading file.. $intStartingPointFound = 0 For $i = 1 To UBound($arrRetArray)-1 $line = $arrRetArray[$i];retrieves taskengine text line by line If StringInStr($line, $intStartCode) Then $intStartingPointFound = 1;if found the starting point of the module to copy then set this variable to 1 ConsoleWrite ("Starting point " & @CRLF) $arrRetArray[$i] = $intStartCode & ": " & $sReplaceText ExitLoop EndIf if $i = UBound($arrRetArray)-1 then ConsoleWrite("Not Found" & @CRLF) Next _FileWriteFromArray ($sFilePath, $arrRetArray,1) EndFunc