RegWrite with Windows 10

3 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

I am having an issue with windows 10 and regwrite.  when i run my script it acts as though it has updated the registry but when i view the registry it has not updated the keys.  I added error checking to the script but it is not showing errors.  now if i remove #requireadmin i will get error 1 - unable to open requested key.

her is my code.

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <WinAPIFiles.au3>
#include <Process.au3>

; Declared Variables
Global $userName = "user"
Global $userPassword = "Ktesting"
Global $autologin = "1"
Global $notification = "0"
Global $balloon = "0"

If @OSArch = "X64" Then
    Global $HKLM = "HKLM64"
    Global $HKLM = "HKLM"

; Looks for switch on program start
If $CmdLine[0] > 0 Then ; looks for switch on startup
    If $CmdLine[1] = "/boot" Then BootMachine()

; Setup Kiosk for first time
Func MachineInstallation()
    MsgBox (1, "Installation", "Starting Install")
    ; Add Program to Run registry Key
    RegWrite ($HKLM & "\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", "DL Kiosk", "REG_SZ", "c:\temp\DL Testing Kiosk\dl testing kiosk.exe /boot")
    If @error Then
        MsgBox (1, "error", @error)

; Add Automatic Logon Registry Key
    RegWrite ($HKLM & "\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", "AutoAdminLogon", "REG_SZ", $autologin)
        If @error Then

RegWrite ($HKLM & "\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", "DefaultUserName", "REG_SZ", $userName)
        If @error Then

RegWrite ($HKLM & "\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", "DefaultPassword", "REG_SZ", $userPassword)
        If @error Then

; Pop Ups and Notification Center Registry
    RegWrite ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer", "DisableNotificationCenter", "REG_SZ", $notification)
        If @error Then

RegWrite ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced", "EnableBalloonTips", $balloon)
        If @error Then

MsgBox (1, "Installation", "Install completed")

i think i figured out my problem.  I was missing the space between Windows and NT.  user error, sorry.  

Edited by damon

It always amazes me how one little thing can cause so much havoc

@damon you need to go over your script a little more closely:

• The first call to RegWrite works just fine for me on Windows 10
  • The following 3 don't work because you misspelled the Key name - it is HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\ you missed the space
  • The next call works just fine for me on Windows 10
  • The last one fails because you didn't call it correctly
    • You neglected to include the Type parameter.
    • This parameter is not optional if you are going to specify a value.

After resolving all the mistakes, it runs just fine for me.

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead - it's only difficult for those that know you. It's the same way when you're stupid...

My Scripts: SCCM UDFInclude Source with Compiled Script, Windows Firewall UDF

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Mbee
      [Solved] New "sys tray" access problems under Windows 10
      By Mbee
      One of my GUI applications requires that a particular third-party application not only be running, but be present in the "sys tray" (aka Taskbar). When this 3p app is active but not in the systray/taskbar, it is not ready for proper use, and I must inform the user about this.
      Here is a code snippet that used to work fine under Windows 7:
      ; ; #FUNCTION# ========================================================================================================= ; Name...........: _Get_Systray_BtnIndex ; Description ...: Determines if an appllication with the specified title is running in the Systen Tray ; and if so, returns the relative index number of it's button on the tray. ; Syntax.........: _Get_Systray_BtnIndex($iTitleText) ; Parameters ....: $iTitleText -> The (tool-tip) title of the desired application ; Return values .: Success - Returns the index number of the desired appliction button, 1 being the first ; Failure - Returns 0 if desired application is not found in the System Tray ; Sets @error as follows: ; 0: Normal return ; -1: System Tray was empty (i.e., no appllications running the tray) ; -2: No System Tray was found ; Remarks .......; Setting any parameter to -1 leaves the current value unchanged ; Setting the $iStyle parameter to 'Default' resets ALL parameters to default values <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< ; Setting any other parameter to "Default" only resets that parameter ; Author ........: Poster "war59312", and code was found at URL: ; http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/40550-check-if-program-is-running-under-system-tray/#entry902746 ; Modified by mjb on 26-June-2014 to return @extended error code rather than using MsgBox() to report errors. ; Func _Get_Systray_BtnIndex($sToolTipTitle) ; Find systray handle Local $hSysTray_Handle = ControlGetHandle('[Class:Shell_TrayWnd]', '', '[Class:ToolbarWindow32;Instance:1]') If @error Then Return SetError( -2, 0, 0 ) EndIf ; Get systray item count Local $iSystray_ButCount = _GUICtrlToolbar_ButtonCount($hSysTray_Handle) If $iSystray_ButCount = 0 Then Return SetError( -1, 0 , 0 ) EndIf ; Look for wanted tooltip For $iSystray_ButtonNumber = 0 To $iSystray_ButCount - 1 If StringInStr(_GUICtrlToolbar_GetButtonText($hSysTray_Handle, $iSystray_ButtonNumber), $sToolTipTitle) > 0 Then ExitLoop Next If $iSystray_ButtonNumber = $iSystray_ButCount Then Return 0 ; Desired application is NOT running in the System Tray Else Return $iSystray_ButtonNumber ; Application was found in the SysTray EndIf EndFunc ;==> _Get_Systray_BtnIndex ;  
      But what's happening under Windows 10 is that the "_GUICtrlToolbar_ButtonCount()" always returns 1, even though there are 10-14 items visible in the Task Bar.  Unsurprisingly, the single item returned has nothing to do with the 3'rd party application in question.
      As you probably know, Microsoft made significant changes to the systray/taskbar since Windows 7 (or at least by Windows 10). I spent quite a while searching MSDN for some other way to accomplish what I need, but I must be too stupid to figure it out.
      Please help.   Thanks!
    • Traskiz
      Windows 10 RunAs script problem
      By Traskiz
      I have a problem, I cant run script as administrator in Windows 10:
      RegWrite('HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS', 'EnableBITSMaxBandwidth','REG_DWORD',Number('1'))
      RegWrite('HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS', 'MaxTransferRateOnSchedule','REG_DWORD',Number('100'))
      RegWrite('HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS', 'MaxBandwidthValidFrom','REG_DWORD',Number('7'))
      RegWrite('HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS', 'MaxBandwidthValidTo','REG_DWORD',Number('22'))
      RegWrite('HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS', 'UseSystemMaximum','REG_DWORD',Number('1'))
      RegWrite('HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\BITS', 'MaxTransferRateOffSchedule','REG_DWORD',Number('400'))
      Global $sUserName = "administrator"
      Global $sPassword = "pass"
      Global $sDomain = "domain"
      RunAsWait($sUserName, $sDomain, $sPassword, 2, "main.exe", "", @TempDir)
      If I run "run.exe" it dont work...
      If  I change main.exe to this:
      and it runs and shows administrator in message box... but it cant elevate main.exe with RegWrite() command...
      I tried using #RequireAdmin in first line of main.exe, but it not worked... UAC is set to "do not notify"
      This method of elevation worked on Windows 7 and Windows XP...
      Please help!
    • dreivilo47
      [Solved] WinMenuSelectItem doesn't work with my Dutch Notepad
      By dreivilo47
      I have a Dutch version of Windows 10.
      The Dutch word for "File" = "Bestand" and for "Page Setup" = "Pagina-instelling".
      WinMenuSelectItem doesn't select this items.  What can be the reason?
      Run("notepad.exe") WinWaitActive("[CLASS:Notepad]") WinMenuSelectItem("[CLASS:Notepad]", "", "Bestand", "Pagina-instelling...") Sleep(4000) WinClose("[CLASS:Notepad]")  
    • dreivilo47
      [SOLVED] How to solve this problem?
      By dreivilo47
      When I use the following code I receive an UAC message:
      #RequireAdmin RunWait("msiexec /i winzip205-64.msi /quiet") Exit How can I hide (bypass) the UAC message?
    • scintilla4evr
      _WinAPI_DwmEnableBlurBehindWindow for Windows 10
      By scintilla4evr
      Function for enabling Aero-like blur effect in Windows 10.