Is it possible to inspect clipboard?

So I have a value copied to the clipboard, it will always be in the format... XXXXXXX-001a XXblahblahXX , is it possible to get Autoit to change the value in the clipboard from -001a to -002a, ect ect ect...? 

I'm loading samples on a autosampler in the lab I work at and sample names are usually something like 1708543-001a, 1708543-002a, 1708543-003a.. And I would like autoit to copy the highlighted value and change increment the second half of the sample ID.. IE Change 1708543-001a to 1708543-002a then paste it.. ?

Is this possible? Help? I've attached an example of what I would like to be able to automate. 

Autosampler.JPG

ClipPut('XXXXXXX-001a XXblahblahX')                 ; Put in clipboard a test value
ConsoleWrite('Before: ' & ClipGet() & @CRLF)        ; Print to console what is in clipboard
ClipPut(StringReplace(ClipGet(),'-001a','-002a'))   ; Replace -001a with whatever you want and put back in clipboard the replaced string
ConsoleWrite('After:  ' & ClipGet() & @CRLF)        ; Print to console what is in clipboard

When the words fail... music speaks.

Ok so.. I have progressed a few steps in the right direction.  So basically it copies what I have into memory.. and changes -001a to -002a, and I can probably figure out how to loop that, but how do I get it to continue from whatever the last four of the sample are.. aka what if I start at -010a (next value would be -011a) or if I start at -002c (next value would be 003c)... I just need it to be able to incremeant the sequence for ~40 samples.. I.e. I dont need it to go from -999a to -001b. 

Thanks and sorry for being a newb

Sleep (3000)
Send("^c")
ConsoleWrite('Before: ' & ClipGet() & @CRLF)        ; Print to console what is in clipboard
ClipPut(StringReplace(ClipGet(),'-001a','-002a'))   ; Replace -001a with whatever you want and put back in clipboard the replaced string
ConsoleWrite('After:  ' & ClipGet() & @CRLF)        ; Print to console what is in clipboard
Send("^v")

Ok so I paid someone and he fixed it for me.. lol. I posted the script below in case someone can use the source code as well. I'm going to start going through the tutorial program.

Send("^c")
$text = ClipGet()
ConsoleWrite('Before: ' & ClipGet() & @CRLF)  ; Print to console what is in clipboard
$dashPosition = StringInStr($text,"-") ; Locate string position of the dash character
$number = StringMid($text, $dashPosition+1,3)  ; Extract the number to increment, e.g. "007" out of "1708896-007a s xxxx"
$newNumber = StringFormat("%03i", $number + 1) ; Add one to number and format with leading zeros
$newText = StringReplace($text, "-" & $number, "-" & $newnumber) ; Replace "-007" with "-008"
ClipPut($newText) ; Update clipboard
ConsoleWrite('After: ' & ClipGet() & @CRLF)  ; Print to console what is in clipboard
Send("^v")