Sign in to follow this  
MrCheese

Array extract - removing rows that has a blank field

Hi guys,

See attached for an array example.

to simplify what i want to achieve,  I want to split this array into 9 different csv files.

the first file would contain the list of "key" and the corresponding "ID1", the second would have "key" and the "ID2", the third would have "key" and "ID3"

However, I want to remove all the rows that don't have an ID recorded in the respective ID2, ID3 4...5...6 etc, so the file only contains row items with a key and the ID.

Would be the best way to loop through the rows and delete the row if the array field is blank - would I then need to repeat that row ID to check that the row that its replaced is also empty (ie the one after the one I just deleted)? I see this getting messy.

or _arraySort, and delete everything below the last filled row? <-- this might be best?

Or should I use the excel UDF, apply a filter (not selecting the blanks), then create/export to the array->csv?

Super keen to hear your thoughts.

thanks!

IDArray.csv

Hi @MrCheese:)
What if you read the file with _FileReadToArray(), and loop through the array to remove what you don't need, and then write the "cleaned" array back to the file with _FileWriteFromArray() ? 

Click here to see my signature:

Spoiler

Thoughts:

• I will always thank you for the time you spent for me.
    I'm here to ask, and from your response, I'd like to learn.
    By my knowledge, I can help someone else, and "that someone" could help in turn another, and so on.

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

so, i currently do that, to build the array in its entirety, its the looping to clean that I'm not sure about. Noting that the full data set has 200k rows. Will this be a problem for an array?

Edited by MrCheese

I don't know how much time could it takes to process all the rows, but for sure, the size of array is still in the limit ( 16,777,216 elements ).
Just give it a try :)

Spoiler

Thoughts:

By my knowledge, I can help someone else, and "that someone" could help in turn another, and so on.

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

@MrCheese 
The sample file you did attach has the ID1 column always filled...
So, what are you trying to do?
It's not necessary to split the file in 9 files... :)

Spoiler

Thoughts:

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

yes, ID1 is always filled - but the other IDs are not.

So ID1.csv will have KEY,ID1

ID2.csv will have KEY,ID2

ID3.csv will have KEY,ID3

IDn.csv will have KEY,IDn

no rows with a blank ID field.

What did you try so far? :)

Spoiler

Thoughts:

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

I wanted some opinions on methods/ functions to test out first.

Once i am on my way usually i can figure out the code.

I thought about things logically earlier, but wanted some input before I went forth.

6 minutes ago, MrCheese said:

I thought about things logically earlier, but wanted some input before I went forth.

_FileReadToArray(), array variables, For...Next loop with Step -1 ( from the "bottom" to the "top" of the array ), and some If conditions :)
I've already made a solution, but let's see yours :)

Spoiler

Thoughts:

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

For the fun  :)

$s = FileRead("IDArray.csv")

For $i = 0 to 8
  $k = StringRegExpReplace($s, '(?imx)^(\d+|key) , (?:\w*,){' & $i & '} , .*$\R?', "")
  $k = StringRegExpReplace($k, '(?imx)^(\d+|key) , (?:\w*,){' & $i & '} (\w+) .*$', "$1,$2")
 ; Msgbox(0,"", $k)
  FileWrite("IDArray_ID" & $i+1 & ".csv", $k)
Next

Will this work on a 200k rows text ? I don't know ...     o:)

@mikell
One day, I hope to understand this amazing function called StringRegExp! :D

Spoiler

Thoughts:

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

4 hours ago, FrancescoDiMuro said:

_FileReadToArray(), array variables, For...Next loop with Step -1 ( from the "bottom" to the "top" of the array ), and some If conditions :)
I've already made a solution, but let's see yours :)

Thanks! yes, starting from the bottom! Removes the issue I was wondering about. I'll have a solution tomorrow morning.

Well, I was curious and just tested my regex thing on a 3800k lines file (100k * the provided csv)
I get the 9 resulting csv files in 40 sec. Not so bad  :D

Edited by mikell
380 instead of 3800 is a terrible typo !

also, if the ID# portion itself does not matter, just the contents

$s = FileRead("IDArray.csv")

msgbox(0, '' , stringregexpreplace(StringTrimLeft($s , 41) , ",+" , ","))

Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

1 hour ago, mikell said:

Will this work on a 200k rows text ? I don't know ...   

i am nearly sure as none off these limits:

VAR_SUBSCRIPT_ELEMENTS 16,777,216 Maximum number of elements for an array.
VAR_SUBSCRIPT_MAX 64 Maximum number of subscripts for an array.

is reached (by my interepreting the opening post).

2 hours ago, AutoBert said:

i am nearly sure as none off these limits is reached

Hmm. This

$t = TimerInit()
$s = FileRead("IDArray.csv") ; currently 38 lines
Local $r
For $i = 1 to 100000
  $r &= $s & @crlf
Next
$s = $r

For $i = 0 to 8
  $k = StringRegExpReplace($s, '(?imx)^(\d+|key) , (?:\w*,){' & $i & '}, .*$\R?', "")
  $k = StringRegExpReplace($k, '(?imx)^(\d+|key) , (?:\w*,){' & $i & '}(\w+) .*$', "$1,$2")
;  Msgbox(0,"", $k)
;;;;;;;  FileWrite("IDArray_ID" & $i+1 & ".csv", $k)
Next
Msgbox(0,"", TimerDiff($t)/1000 )

works, but if I try more then I get "error allocating memory"
Anyway more than 3800k lines means a huge amount of data, so it would surely be a much better way to manage this using a SQLite database  :)

Edited by mikell

@mikell

It could be definitely a better way to remove blank rows! :)

@MrCheese

Take a look here about _SQLite* functions :)

There are very flexible and easy functions to work with :)

Edited by FrancescoDiMuro

Spoiler

Thoughts:

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

5 minutes ago, FrancescoDiMuro said:

It could be definitely a better way to remove blank rows!

It depends on the data, the needed use in the script, and so on  :)
The regex way is probably much faster than using the _Array* funcs. On the example above I didn't try the latter but it should give a little more than 40s I guess  ;)

13 minutes ago, mikell said:

Anyway more than 3800k lines means a huge amount of data,

Yes, and 3800K * 5 elements per line= 19000k breaks the limit, only 3355443 lines are possible.