Possible bug in AutoIt3Wrapper.au3 19.1127.1402.20

Hello @Jos.

There may be a bug in AutoIt3Wrapper.au3 19.1127.1402.20: If the path to a custom script contains certain characters, e.g. "ö" or "à", an incorrect path is used for the macros @ScriptDir, @ScriptName and @ScriptFullPath:

"C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\AutoIt3WrapperRunTmpFiles\test file u.au3"

Correct path would be for example: "C:\Users\<UserName>\Desktop\test file ö.au3"

Tested AutoIt3Wrapper versions:

19.1127.1402.0 - All right
19.1127.1402.18 - Error encountered
19.1127.1402.20 - Error encountered

Can you test if it's a bug or if I did something wrong?

Attached 2 sample files for testing.

AutoIt3Wrapper tests 2021-01-23.zip

• Developers

No sure what you mean so please provide a zip file with the required directory structure and files which I can run and see the issue as both attached scripts work fine for me when running them with  AutoItWrapper v19.1127.1402.20.

oh and that path change is correct as files a temporarely copied when containing an none standard ascii character:

19.1127.1402.8 Fix for  support of filenames containing special ascii characters too.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

No specific directory structure is required. You can unpack the two files wherever you want, e.g. in "D:\tests\". :)

For AutoItWrapper v19.1127.1402.20 my result looks like this when I open the following files with SciTe and start them (F5):

"D:\tests\test file a.au3" =>

165001979_testfilea-au3.jpg.e8309efc1e19bc8697183fc0ce3688dc.jpg

"D:\tests\test file ö.au3" =>

897890492_testfile-au3.jpg.78d737433420b6d67fc5c85e27c1988b.jpg

29 minutes ago, Jos said:

... as both attached scripts work fine for me ...

Which paths are displayed for you?

• Developers

So you are having an problem with this change ...right?  
If so: Please do me a fovor and show me an example and the steps to take to see this issue or else we are just trowing words at eachother. ;) 

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Here is an example script that should read a file (@ScriptDir & "\Hello world.txt") and output the content ("Hello, World!"). But this does not work, because @ScriptDir specifies a wrong directory.

Unpack the zip into a folder of your choice. The unzipped folder should then contain: "Hello world.txt" and "test file ö 2.au3".  Open the "test file ö 2.au3" in SciTe and start it with F5. An error is displayed because the "Hello world.txt" is not found.

AutoIt3Wrapper tests 2021-01-23 b.zip

Here is a second example that is encountered more often. ;)  A key value is to be read from an ini file in the script folder.

Unzip the file into a folder of your choice. The unzipped folder should contain: "test file ö 3.au3" and "test.ini".  Open the "test file ö 3.au3" in SciTe and start it with F5. An error is displayed because the "test.ini" is not found.

AutoIt3Wrapper tests 2021-01-23 c.zip

• Developers

Understand the issue now that I introduced with that change... thanks for that! :) 

...just need to rethink how this can be solved, but likely will have to copy the temp file into the original script directory.....  stay tunned.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

51 minutes ago, Jos said:

Understand the issue now that I introduced with that change... thanks for that! :) 

Some things are hard to explain and I'm glad you understood what I meant. Thank you very much! :)

How about this idea: Instead of copying the temp file to the temp folder and back to the script folder, wouldn't it be easier to create the temp file directly in the script folder? Then @ScriptDir would always show the correct path, right? :think:

What is the reason for creating the temp file? Can it perhaps only be created in RAM?

Edit: Forget the last sentence, because then @ScriptDir would show a wrong path again.

Edited by Professor_Bernd

• Developers
1 minute ago, Professor_Bernd said:

Instead of copying the temp file to the temp folder and back to the script folder, wouldn't it be easier to create the temp file directly in the script folder? Then @ScriptDir would always show the correct path, right?

Don't think so as a subdirectory will give the same issue.

I have made  change to the logic so it will copy the temp script into the same directory as the original script to avoid issues like this. The scriptname will be converted to ascii charaters and prefixed by "_#@#@#_". These files will be recycled at the end of te run: 

+>12:53:08 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper (19.1127.1402.21) from:SciTE.exe (4.2.0.0)  Keyboard:00020409  OS:WIN_10/2009  CPU:X64 OS:X64  Environment(Language:0413)  CodePage:65001  utf8.auto.check:4
+>         SciTEDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE   UserDir => C:\Users\jvdza\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper   SCITE_USERHOME => C:\Users\jvdza\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE 
->Main script copied to temp file because of unicode characters in one of the filenames: D:\Users\jvdza\Downloads\AutoIt3Wrapper tests 2021-01-23 b\_#@#@#_test file u 2.au3
>Running AU3Check (3.3.14.5)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3  input:D:\Users\jvdza\Downloads\AutoIt3Wrapper tests 2021-01-23 b\_#@#@#_test file u 2.au3
+>12:53:09 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.14.5):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "D:\Users\jvdza\Downloads\AutoIt3Wrapper tests 2021-01-23 b\_#@#@#_test file u 2.au3"    
+>Setting Hotkeys...--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+BREAK to Stop.
+>12:53:11 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>12:53:11 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
->Recycled:D:\Users\jvdza\Downloads\AutoIt3Wrapper tests 2021-01-23 b\_#@#@#_test file u 2.au3
>Exit code: 0    Time: 3.696

It obviously does mean that you always need write access to the scriptdirectory. 

See if this works now and not break anything else. :) 

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

12 minutes ago, Professor_Bernd said:

How about this idea: Instead of copying the temp file to the temp folder and back to the script folder, wouldn't it be easier to create the temp file directly in the script folder?

4 minutes ago, Jos said:

Don't think so as a subdirectory will give the same issue.

Could it be that you read "directory" instead of "directly"? ;) Because I meant it exactly the way you have solved it now.

+>12:53:08 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper (19.1127.1402.21) from:SciTE.exe (4.2.0.0)  Keyboard:00020409  OS:WIN_10/2009  CPU:X64 OS:X64  Environment(Language:0413)  CodePage:65001  utf8.auto.check:4
+>         SciTEDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE   UserDir => C:\Users\jvdza\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper   SCITE_USERHOME => C:\Users\jvdza\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE 
->Main script copied to temp file because of unicode characters in one of the filenames: D:\Users\jvdza\Downloads\AutoIt3Wrapper tests 2021-01-23 b\_#@#@#_test file u 2.au3
>Running AU3Check (3.3.14.5)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3  input:D:\Users\jvdza\Downloads\AutoIt3Wrapper tests 2021-01-23 b\_#@#@#_test file u 2.au3
+>12:53:09 AU3Check ended.rc:0

; Can't you recycle the temp file already here, because AutoIt3.exe should be able to
; handle extended ascii characters, right? Then you could pass the file with the non-standard
; ascii characters in the path to AutoIt3.exe, which avoids further problems.

>Running:(3.3.14.5):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "D:\Users\jvdza\Downloads\AutoIt3Wrapper tests 2021-01-23 b\_#@#@#_test file u 2.au3"    
+>Setting Hotkeys...--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+BREAK to Stop.
+>12:53:11 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>12:53:11 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
->Recycled:D:\Users\jvdza\Downloads\AutoIt3Wrapper tests 2021-01-23 b\_#@#@#_test file u 2.au3
>Exit code: 0    Time: 3.696

I see another problem if you create the temp file in the original script folder. What if there is a non-standard ascii character in the path before the file? So for example

"C:\Users\Jörg\Desktop\AutoIt3Wrapper tests\test file.au3"

The same is true if you use the user temp folder:

"C:\Users\Jörg\AppData\Local\Temp\AutoIt3WrapperRunTmpFiles\test file.au3"

Or does the problem exist only when there is a non-standard ascii character in the filename, not in the path?

• Developers

Agree ... so I need to revert to the previous version and use the original script during the RUN operation as you suggested.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Ok ...  next "try": New Beta is available which is a revert of the previous version and this time simply uses the original filename in the RUN function. :)  

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Tests performed with AutoIt3Wrapper.au3 19.1127.1402.21
- on Win 10 with user name WITHOUT non-standard ascii characters
- on Win 7 with user name WITH non-standard ascii characters

Using @ScriptDir works on both PCs.

Thanks a lot! 👍

Why is the original script copied to a temp file at all if there is a non-standard ascii character in the name? What is achieved by this? :think:

In a post above I wrote that a non-standard ascii character can occur in the username. Then the character is also in the path to the folder where you copy the temp file, e.g.

"C:\Users\Jörg\AppData\Local\Temp\AutoIt3WrapperRunTmpFiles\test file u 3.au3"

What problems do you encounter then?

• Developers

This is the reason the files are copied when containing UTF/Special characters. 

Thanks for your feedback. ;)
Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

20 hours ago, Jos said:

Thanks for your feedback. ;)

Thanks for the link to the Topic Include file with regional special characters with UTF-8 ! :)

Can you take a look at the following lines in AutoIt3Wrapper.au3 19.1127.1402.21?

Line 550

If $ScriptFile_In <> "" And FileExists($ScriptFile_In And $Option <> "RunAdmin") Then ; <== parentheses

Line 5939 to 5942

$IncludeFile = StringStripWS(StringMid(StringStripWS($Include_Rec, 3), 9), 3)
  Local $sIncludeFile = $IncludeFile
;~  ConsoleWrite(...
  $IncludeFile = StringStripWS($IncludeFile, 3) ; <= This line may not be necessary?
Edited by Professor_Bernd

• Developers
6 hours ago, Professor_Bernd said:

Line 550

Mmm.. that looks indeed quite wrong and am surpriced that never caused issues. :)

6 hours ago, Professor_Bernd said:

Line 5939 to 5942

I've clearely have been having some issue there with all those commented debug statements but would agree the firstline result should already strip what is needed.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.