Reading a string value that is visible within DevTools > Elements > Properties > "value"

Go to solution Solved by Danp2,

Good morning, everyone, 

I am using WebDriver with ChromeDriver version 105.0.5195.52

I have the script almost completed; this is going to be used as a wait / pause until the file has completed uploading. I was able to find where the value: "C:\\fakepath\\Vladimir Harkonnen.jpg" is stored. I am trying to figure out how to read this value. This is part of an <input type="file"> element. Reading / finding the value would be the trigger to allow the script to continue. I don't know very much but I feel like I am either not using WebDriver correctly or possibly it won't be able to help me with what I am trying to do.

Please see the attached screenshot. 

Thank you for your time, experience, and patience with me,

Thomas Bennett

How do I find this value.png

40 minutes ago, Danp2 said:

It looks like the filenames are located in the Files property, so you would use _WD_ElementAction to access them, ie --

$sFiles = _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $sElement, 'property', 'files')

Thank you, @Danp2! I hope that you didn't take my comment despairingly against your work; if you did I apologize as that was not my intent. Thank you for thinking ahead and having this feature already built-in. I am still using 'value' since the script is waiting for that value to change from null to the path described above.

Again, thank you for your time on this,

Thomas Bennett

Edited by ThomasBennett
Forgot the closing line and signature.

@ThomasBennettYou didn't say anything disparaging, so please stop apologizing. I will let you know if you say something offensive. I hope you would do the same for me. 😉

Browser automation via Webdriver is a complex subject, and there are usually multiple ways to tackle a given task. Just remember that "value" won't necessarily reflect if there are multiple files selected for upload.

@Danp2, makes sense; fortunately in this case the webpage in question will only accept one file per entry. Also, a process that typically takes ~40 minutes and lots of focus is now down to approximately 6 minutes. Have you attempted to calculate how much time the Webdriver has saved the world compared to the amount of time it took to develop it? Case in point; took me ~14 hours of research and coding to get this figured out.. and looking at my work queue this script will pay for itself after I've ran it ~17 more times. 

Thank you again!

Thomas Bennett