neoSearch 1.86

KJohn

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I done every things you said >> Uninstall >> Edit Box Spilt with Line == ALL DONE :whistle:

For got link : http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...st&id=15662

Your uninstall says its done. But the files remain on the hard disk. check it out...

C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming\Openindex\

and the shortcut on the desktop...

Edit box split works well...

No other suggestions, just get the uninstaller working.

Updated

- Changed size of progress bar for index in XP (some glitch in Autoit used to cause shadows to fall for 1/3 of the bar on the left and right; so increased the thickness by 2 pixels)

- Updated help screen (click on the help button...)

- User can now force an update check from that screen

- Fixed: startup with user login didn't work properly before

Pending:

- Automatic indexing according to schedule...

Your uninstall says its done. But the files remain on the hard disk. check it out...

C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming\Openindex\

and the shortcut on the desktop...

Edit box split works well...

No other suggestions, just get the uninstaller working.

How Do I Delete It Self ??

How Do I Delete It Self ??

Make a copy of the program in the temp files folder and then run that program...

the other program must wait till the original closes and then delete everything...

and close

this copy will get deleted automatically when the temp files folder is cleared...

There is another method but i don't remember where i read it. it involves using a batch file...

search around... plz pass it on to me too if u find it...

when i try to set a daily index in schedule it gives an eror plz check it.

btw i would like to know how u skinned ur prog couse i would like to skin mine too.

Link : http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49454

- schedule is now working (please wait while newest version is uploaded)

Sorry to disappoint you, but I manually wrote the code and created the images required from screenshots of Vista. I did not use any skin available publicly.

Updated (check first post)

- :lmao: GUI CPU usage optimised (60% more efficient)!

- Indexing scheduler works as promised.

- fixed minor goof ups (splash off after msgbox instead of before, etc.)

- improved indexing engine algorithms!

:whistle: This is like the final version with all bugs and wrinkles ironed out:

So please please please do leave your comments here!!!

Please do rate the progam on the forum too...

Edited by Koshy John

I think it is a very awesome program, and it will definitely replace normal windows explorer search on my PC.

However, as one request, can you make the window movable? i don't like it when things are locked in the center of my screen.

H,

I think it looks great!

I can't use it at present because it cuts off the ends of long file names where I have stored defining info for similar-named docs. [there is still plenty of real estate on my screens so it could be there; maybe detect screen resolution and decide cut-off length based on that?]

Differences from mine; [i realise not necessarily a bad thing!]

1. As above

2. It doesn't list sorted with most recent files at the top.

3. The search is slower; a) did you not use RegExp ultimately? b ) are you obtaining file details at search time again? c) is the html display slower because it calls iexporer?

4. Not sure you have lost the DOS; I don't think its finding files in my mediterranean language directories, is it?

5. I thought (? misunderstood) you to say you preferred to be able to start search without wildcard; so "Thompson" would not be found unless at start of filename? ; would it add too much clutter to have a checkbox or radio to select using wildcards or not (thinking of adding that to mine) - or using start only or not?

6. List doesn't sort (is that a possibility on html lists?) [btw can you point me to example scripts showing how you did that html list?; your posted source code doesn't show how you do a pretty display?..]

Nevertheless, it looks great and seems to work well. congrats.

Best, randall

7. btw, does all the restricting of files actually save time on either indexing or searching (I doubt the latter), or actually make it longer? [ie would it be more efficient to exclude items at search time rather than index time?...]

8. I don't think I understand the indexing paths; do they do subfolders?; I put in "c:" as a folder, but it doesn't seem to index the whole c-drive; what is the necessary path to include?

9. On a dual- CPU machine, does the high priority for index use both processors at high priority, or preserve one of them? [b ) does the priority reset after indexing; and if it crashes during indexing?..]

10. no option to change the size of the full results GUI; resizable and max/ restore? []b ) and I agree with allowing options for position of search gui too...

11. A new option that occurs to me.. I am thinking for mine that I would extend the option of checking for changes since the last index; I could not only re-check file size and mod time on the files found at index, but also re-run the index just on that search and in the index-found folders for those folders; woud be fairly quick and give fully up-to date info on any file changes OR new matching files... whether indexed recently or not.....

12. I note, again different to mine, you don't accept ? or * as wildcards in the names; nor pipes?

13. ? log file of index does not show dates; I hate reading log files anyway; I sometimes have a read of, say, last 100 lines only and open in reverse line order too!! -what!tf!

Edited by randallc

the search doesn't work if y're starting with a punctuation mark.

It was not designed that way for a reason...

You have to cut some corners here and there for faster indexing and searching...

I think it is a very awesome program, and it will definitely replace normal windows explorer search on my PC.

However, as one request, can you make the window movable? i don't like it when things are locked in the center of my screen.

I am honored and happy to have created something of value to you. I would be very grateful if you could pass it on, as people are not as trusting when the author of the progam says its good.

Dragging - That's a little hard to do since the image which is supposed to help drag the GUI is to be disabled if clicks on the controls defined above it are to be returned...

But I'll do it as soon as I get some breathing space... But if all you can compromise and drag the GUI by clicking on the magnifying glass, then it can be accomplished much faster...

How did you get it to look all nice, like vista?

[left][sub]We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine.[/sub][sup]And the machine is bleeding to death...[/sup][sup][/sup][/left]

H,

I think it looks great!

I can't use it at present because it cuts off the ends of long file names where I have stored defining info for similar-named docs. [there is still plenty of real estate on my screens so it could be there; maybe detect screen resolution and decide cut-off length based on that?]

Differences from mine; [i realise not necessarily a bad thing!]

1. As above

2. It doesn't list sorted with most recent files at the top.

3. The search is slower; a) did you not use RegExp ultimately? b ) are you obtaining file details at search time again? c) is the html display slower because it calls iexporer?

4. Not sure you have lost the DOS; I don't think its finding files in my mediterranean language directories, is it?

5. I thought (? misunderstood) you to say you preferred to be able to start search without wildcard; so "Thompson" would not be found unless at start of filename? ; would it add too much clutter to have a checkbox or radio to select using wildcards or not (thinking of adding that to mine) - or using start only or not?

6. List doesn't sort (is that a possibility on html lists?) [btw can you point me to example scripts showing how you did that html list?; your posted source code doesn't show how you do a pretty display?..]

Nevertheless, it looks great and seems to work well. congrats.

Best, randall

Now THIS is a real review!! First off let me thank you for taking the time!

Now for my answers:

1. Will do...

2. Computation time for sorting and memory space required deemed it not worthy for a vast majority of people. Instead its sorted alphabetically by full path.

3. a) No regexp, :whistle: Only the index is referenced at search time, c) HTML display takes more time coz of number of results returned and the actual size of the search space.

4. I can't verify until you give me a filename in a mediterranean language so I can replicate conditions on my PC for testing and debugging...

5. No wildcards but then you don't use wild cards in Google do you...

Search for Thompson will return:

Thompson and Thompson.txt

Bonnie, Clyde and Thompson.bmp

Little Thompson told a lie.doc

and the like....

6. Its difficult to sort HTML lists without using javascript and I never really accomplished that AND kept the display pretty and fast. The HTML file's static part is prewritten and the variable part aka the results are written at run time. Script for embedding:

Func BrowserWindow()
    Local $IE = ObjCreate("Shell.Explorer.2")
    GUICreate ("Koshy was here",$x,$y)
    GUICtrlCreateObj ($IE,0,0, $x,$y)
    GUISetState ()
    $IE.navigate("http://www.gooooogle.com");of course, enter your path here
    While GUIGetMsg() <> $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
    ;;;
    Wend
    GUIDelete ()
EndFunc

7. btw, does all the restricting of files actually save time on either indexing or searching (I doubt the latter), or actually make it longer? [ie would it be more efficient to exclude items at search time rather than index time?...]

8. I don't think I understand the indexing paths; do they do subfolders?; I put in "c:" as a folder, but it doesn't seem to index the whole c-drive; what is the necessary path to include?

9. On a dual- CPU machine, does the high priority for index use both processors at high priority, or preserve one of them? [b ) does the priority reset after indexing; and if it crashes during indexing?..]

10. no option to change the size of the full results GUI; resizable and max/ restore? []b ) and I agree with allowing options for position of search gui too...

11. A new option that occurs to me.. I am thinking for mine that I would extend the option of checking for changes since the last index; I could not only re-check file size and mod time on the files found at index, but also re-run the index just on that search and in the index-found folders for those folders; woud be fairly quick and give fully up-to date info on any file changes OR new matching files... whether indexed recently or not.....

12. I note, again different to mine, you don't accept ? or * as wildcards in the names; nor pipes?

13. ? log file of index does not show dates; I hate reading log files anyway; I sometimes have a read of, say, last 100 lines only and open in reverse line order too!! -what!tf!

7. Saves time more at indexing and a little at searching. It would be more efficient overall to exclude at indexing.

8. C: -> indexes the whole drive but excludes known system folders like the Windows directory and all files that are not executables from the Program Files dir. Also excluded are the temp files folder, temp internet files folder, etc. To include most of these select "Include system files" from the options screen.

9. On a dual core or quad core, only one of the cores will be used. There is no high priority mode enabled, just normal priority and idle/low priority. So don't worry about crashing. And yes, the priority is only higher during the actual indexing process when you see the black bar. If it crashes, a mode called safe mode is activated on the next run and more detailed logging is done at the cost of some speed. System stability is never compromised.

10. Maybe in the future.. I was busy working out more core performance bugs... I'll work on these now...

11. That has been one of my biggest thinking points. I'll have to change my paradigm from linear file ordering to a database approach to get that to work efficiently. Overall, I designed the program to work smoothly on as many systems as possible - fast, slow, low mem, high mem, etc. It would require a lot of thinking and analysing on my part to come up with an efficient algorithm to accomplish that. But I agree that's the way to go.

12. Nope, no wildcards. And nope, no pipes.

13. Log file shows dates.. If you looked carefully at the title bar of notpad, you'd see that the name of the file contains the date. I didn't think redundancy would be required for the date considering that.

satisfied with my answers?

How did you get it to look all nice, like vista?

I've gotten this one a couple of times...

This program was mostly developed on Windows Vista itself. I got the images of the close and minimize button from screenshots I took of Vista windows. And the search button too. All other images including the hover effect under the results displayed were either created from scratch or photoshoped inspired by Vista screen elements.

And no, sadly for those of you who are used to skinning their applications, I did not use a ready made skin.

I'll be suspending development on this software of about a month unless some hard crashing bug pops up... I'll be coming over to the forum regularly though..

If you have questions, suggestions or comments please put them up here...

If somebody puts up a question to which you know the answer, plz do answer for me if I am late in the coming...

Take care!

To do:

- Disable transparency effects like fade in and fade out for the really slow computers...

- Updatable index structure (massive work)

- Support for other languages, anyone willing to test?

- And some really neat surprises... I won't do a Microsoft and spoil it by sharing it so early. I'd rather b an Apple. :whistle:

FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE

1. Index only those locations you need (Options > Include)

2. Exclude all non-standard locations you know that contain things you are not interested in searching for (eg: an albums folder containing images named DSC0349.jpg ,etc.)

3. In basic settings, uncheck "Include system files" and check "Do not include ID3 tags of MP3s". Reducing indexing priority will reduce indexing speed if other applications are running demanding more of CPU time.

4. Clear the logs (Options > Logs) once in a while.

5. neoSearch checks for updates on a monthly basis, but you can force an update check by clicking on Help > Check for updates, newer versions usually have some minor performance improvement tweak or the other... I'm passionate about performance and it should show in the code I write...

11. That has been one of my biggest thinking points. I'll have to change my paradigm from linear file ordering

You're welcome!

I am interested to get a good search whether its yours or mine; and interested to incorporate the best of it in mine too, of course..

11. That has been one of my biggest thinking points. I'll have to change my paradigm from linear file ordering

On point 11. , I only meant to "reindex" [ie dos or other dir command using the search terms.. quick?] the search results, not the index; I thought it would give up to date info on the search and only need processing of the indexed search results to obtain the directories to loop through; still quick and easy?

8. C: -> indexes the whole drive

I am surprised; it didn't seem to do so for me; but I will ahve to look again..

13. Log file shows dates..

Not on the files for when certain things were performed, though?

4. I can't verify until you give me a filename in a mediterranean language

I gave that to you before;

one folder is 90 ,^50 instead of 90 éê50

Try this; directory; "C:\Programs\SearchEngine\91 é50"

filename "áâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðò123aEhKNRuzo"

2. Computation time for sorting and memory space

I'm not sure that's a big issue for search results; have you looked at my vbs routine which is quick?; if your serach results data is too big an array or number of lines, you could just skip it...

Best, randall

Edited by randallc