Sign in to follow this  
Lemmens Peter

Shutdown does not seems to work

Lemmens Peter

Hi,

I wanted to create a script that shuts-down a computer everyday at 19:00. (End of workday)

So I created a script and added it in the "scheduled tasks" to run.

My script works correctly when the user is logged in (even when the computer is locked by a user)

But my script DOES NOT work when nobody is logged in.

To check what the script did, I add a comment-line to a log-file each time the script is executed.

My script always says the shutdown was a success even when it did NOT shut-down (when nobody is logged on)

Can it be a bug of am I missing something ?

Best regards and thank you,

Peter

$Data_Title = StringLeft(@ScriptName, StringInStr(@ScriptName, "." ,0,-1)-1)
$Log_File = @ScriptDir & "\" & $Data_Title & ".csv"

Sleep(1000)
    If Shutdown(1 + 4 + 8 +16) = 1 Then
        ; 0 = Logoff; 1 = Shutdown; 2 = Reboot; 4 = Force; 8 = Power down; 16= Force if hung; 32= Standby; 64= Hibernate
        FileWriteLog($Log_File, @YEAR & "/" & @MON & "/" & @MDAY & ";" & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ";Shutdown;Success")
        ; If Shutdown is a success a line will be added to the log_File. Exemple of such a line :
        ; 2009/01/11;21:53;Shutdown;Success
    Else
        FileWriteLog($Log_File, @YEAR & "/" & @MON & "/" & @MDAY & ";" & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ";Shutdown;Failure")
        ; If Shutdown is NOT a success a line will be added to the log_File. Exemple of such a line :
        ; 2009/01/11;21:53;Shutdown;Failure
    EndIf
    Sleep(1000)
    Exit

Func FileWriteLog($sLogPath, $sLogMsg)
    Local $hOpenFile
    Local $hWriteFile
    $hOpenFile = FileOpen($sLogPath, 1)
    If $hOpenFile = -1 Then
        SetError(1)
        Return 0
    EndIf
    $hWriteFile = FileWriteLine($hOpenFile, $sLogMsg)
    If $hWriteFile = -1 Then
        SetError(2)
        Return 0
    EndIf
    FileClose($hOpenFile)
    Return 1
EndFunc
Edited by Lemmens Peter

fctd

When you force a shutdown, is the script fast enough to write something succesfully to a file? :)

Little script without using the "scheduled tasks".

shutdown

Greetings.

[list][font="Century Gothic"]If nothing is certain, everything is possible.[/font][/list][font="Century Gothic"]Experience is something you get, just after you need it.[/font]

Lemmens Peter

Yes, the script is fast enough to write to a log-file.

Is there anyone wo knows why it does not shutdown when nobody is logged-on ?

Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks and best regards,

Peter

fctd

Maybe try this Shutdown(5)

Gr.

[list][font="Century Gothic"]If nothing is certain, everything is possible.[/font][/list][font="Century Gothic"]Experience is something you get, just after you need it.[/font]

C45Y

Is there anyone wo knows why it does not shutdown when nobody is logged-on ?

someone correct me if im wrong but scheduled tasks need a logged on account to run...

dirty fix would be if your on xp box you could replace the uilman.exe in sys32 i think. it's the only proecess that i know of that can be run when not logged on...but then you'd still have to start it by [win] + ...

i give up...hope you find a solution

http://twentylinesofcode.blogspot.comLittle apps n crap. can be fun

fctd

someone correct me if im wrong but scheduled tasks need a logged on account to run...

But why does it write to the log file with ";Shutdown;Success". It must be running then.

Greetings.

Manjish

But why does it write to the log file with ";Shutdown;Success". It must be running then.

Greetings.

Hey why don't u make a batfile for the shutdown script, and then run that batfile using schtasks. n I am definatedly sure, that if the computer is locked, or the user is logged off, the schtasks do work. I have tried this myself. While scheduling the task, make sure u unselect the "Run only if logged" on option, and enter the username and password of the m/c while scheduling the task.

bat file will contain:

shutdown -s -t 20 >c:\test.log

This will write the result into logfile too.

[font="Garamond"]Manjish Naik[/font]Engineer, Global Services - QPSHoneywell Automation India LimitedE-mail - Manjish.Naik@honeywell.com

Manjish

Also u can use the schtasks option from cmd prompt as:

schtasks /ru username /rp "password" /sc daily /st 00:19:00 /tr c:\shutdown.bat /tn "shutdown"

[font="Garamond"]Manjish Naik[/font]Engineer, Global Services - QPSHoneywell Automation India LimitedE-mail - Manjish.Naik@honeywell.com

Manjish

hey i just was reading the help file for shutdown function..

there is no "16" in it.

The shutdown code is a combination of the following values:

0 = Logoff

1 = Shutdown

2 = Reboot

4 = Force

8 = Power down

32= Standby

64= Hibernate

fctd

There is a '16'

0 = Logoff

1 = Shutdown

2 = Reboot

4 = Force

8 = Power down

16= Force if hung

32= Standby

64= Hibernate

IKilledBambi

for the .bat if I put shutdown -s in a bat file it executes the script at lightning speed and never lets it happen, I think this may be a firewall or something.

Manjish

There is a '16'

0 = Logoff

1 = Shutdown

2 = Reboot

4 = Force

8 = Power down

16= Force if hung

32= Standby

64= Hibernate

Hey i am using the latest version v3.2.12.1 of autoit.. my help file doesn't have a 16

Manjish

for the .bat if I put shutdown -s in a bat file it executes the script at lightning speed and never lets it happen, I think this may be a firewall or something.

hey it doesn't execute at lightening speed, the -t 20 specifies 20 sec timeout to shutdown. u can specify any time to delay it.

Lemmens Peter

Hi AutoIt-lovers,

First of all:

I'm also using the latest official version 3.3.0.0 and the help states there is a "16"

0 = Logoff

1 = Shutdown

2 = Reboot

4 = Force

8 = Power down

16= Force if hung

32= Standby

64= Hibernate

Secondly :

The script runs (with sheduled tasks using a user and password, etc) even when no user is logged on.

The command "shutdown" return a 1 (Success).

A line is added in the log-file saying "success" but the computer does NOT restart.

So I think it's a bug.

How can I report this as a bug ?

I hope this helps to improve AutoIt

because AutoIt IS a great scripting-tool :)

Best regards,

Peter

Ward Gerlach

When you're creating the Scheduled Task, if you specify "System" as the user account, it will use the "NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM" account to perform the task - even if no one is logged into the machine at the scheduled time, and no password is required.