[Resolved] Can AI work with a DAT file?

The DAT file in question is in simple text with this type of structure (9999 means repeats each year):

"4/2/9999=BD:  Cousin"
"6/2/2009=Calendar entry"
Was wondering if AI could read this info somehow as it does ini files with IniRead, so that on the current day, i.e., the 2nd entry above, AI would then launch the desktop calendar. Then on days with no entries, the script would not launch the program.

Example, text is entered for February 7th and 9th into the calendar program so that DAT file looks something like this:

"7/2/2009=Calendar entry"

"9/2/2009=Another entry"

then tomorrow and on the 9th, the script would launch the program so that it appears on the desktop but wouldn't on the 8th of February when there is no entry.

Is something like this possible? IniRead is what I know would be used for INI files but wondering how to deal with a DAT format.

Edited by Diana (Cda)

Normal file reading and its not to hard to make a 2D array like so if you split it line for line and parse it... :)

$ar[n][0] = Date

$ar[n][1] = Entry

Cheers,

Brett

The DAT file in question is in simple text with this type of structure (9999 means repeats each year):

"4/2/9999=BD:  Cousin"
"6/2/2009=Calendar entry"
Was wondering if AI could read this info somehow as it does ini files with IniRead, so that on the current day, i.e., the 2nd entry above, AI would then launch the desktop calendar. Then on days with no entries, the script would not launch the program.

Example, text is entered for February 7th and 9th into the calendar program so that DAT file looks something like this:

"7/2/2009=Calendar entry"

"9/2/2009=Another entry"

then tomorrow and on the 9th, the script would launch the program so that it appears on the desktop but wouldn't on the 8th of February when there is no entry.

Is something like this possible? IniRead is what I know would be used for INI files but wondering how to deal with a DAT format.

Using this "DatFile.Dat" file.

4/2/9999=BD:  Cousin
6/2/2009=Calendar entry
27/12/2009=Calendar entry
7/02/2009=Another entry

This script appears to work.

#include <Array.au3>

$sFile = "DatFile.Dat"

If StringLen(@MDAY) = 2 And StringLeft(@MDAY, 1) = 0 Then
    $iDay = StringTrimLeft(@MDAY, 1)
Else
    $iDay = @MDAY
EndIf

If StringLen(@MON) = 2 And StringLeft(@MON, 1) = 0 Then
    $iMon = StringTrimLeft(@MON, 1)
Else
    $iMon = @MON
EndIf

$sToDay = $iDay & "/" & $iMon & "/" & @YEAR
;MsgBox(0, "", $sToDay)

$aToDay = StringSplit($sToDay, "/")

$sRE = "((?:\d*" & $aToDay[1] & "/\d*" & $aToDay[2] & "/" & $aToDay[3] & ")|(?:" & _
        "\d*" & $aToDay[1] & "/\d*" & $aToDay[2] & "/" & "9999))"

If StringRegExp(FileRead($sFile), $sRE, 0) = 1 Then MsgBox(0, "", "Run( Desktop Calendar")
Edited by Malkey

Using this "DatFile.Dat" file.

4/2/9999=BD:  Cousin
6/2/2009=Calendar entry
27/12/2009=Calendar entry
7/02/2009=Another entry

This script appears to work.

#include <Array.au3>

$sFile = "DatFile.Dat"

Else
    $iDay = @MDAY
EndIf

Else
    $iMon = @MON
EndIf

;MsgBox(0, "", $sToDay)

$sRE = "((?:\d*" & $aToDay[1] & "/\d*" & $aToDay[2] & "/" & $aToDay[3] & ")|(?:" & _

If StringRegExp(FileRead($sFile), $sRE, 0) = 1 Then MsgBox(0, "", "Run( Desktop Calendar")
Brilliant! So far, so good! It's worked extremely well through many tests!

Of course, since I'm not a natural programmer or anything approaching even a proficient one yet, I formatted the code a little bit so that when I come back to it in the future, I'll be up to speed with it quicker:

#include <Array.au3>

;======================
$sFile = "calendar.dat"
;======================

If NOT ProcessExists("Desktop Calendar.exe") Then
    _RunDesktopCalendar()
Else
    Exit
EndIf

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Func _RunDesktopCalendar()
Else
    $iDay = @MDAY
EndIf

Else
    $iMon = @MON
EndIf

;MsgBox(0, "", $sToDay)

If StringRegExp(FileRead($sFile), $sRE, 0) = 1 Then
    ShellExecute(@ScriptDir & "\Desktop Calendar.exe")
EndIf

EndFunc
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't really need the "not process exist" part since it'll be in the startup folder and won't start anyway unless the conditions are met, but put it in just in case I need to add a potential messagebox down the road. The code will be ready to go at that point.

This script has made it possible to disable the app's native notification box that comes up when there is an event. Since this behaviour halts the actual launch process until you click OK, it turned out to be a cumbersome feature for me. I find that it's just better to have the calendar appear straight away on the desktop if, and only if, there is an event.

At some point, I'll probably emulate that behaviour with AI so that it does display the actual event at the same time it's dumping it on the desktop since the boxes are actually rather small and larger amounts of text won't be very visible. But that's a project for later.

This is super fantastic! Thanks! I'll also be putting a copy of the dat file along with this script in my AI tips folder. I suspect this will come in handy in future uses when dealing with a text file format that is not INI.

Cheers! <g>

Normal file reading and its not to hard to make a 2D array like so if you split it line for line and parse it... :)

$ar[n][0] = Date

$ar[n][1] = Entry

Cheers,

Brett

Thank you! Will keep this in mind for when I understand what you just said better <lol>. Bears looking into down the road, definitely.

Cheers! <g>