AutoItObject UDF

ProgAndy

Hope this was not asked before, but I have a question about usability:

is there a trick to use scite's auto-complete for objects? To be more precise: I would like to use something like c-style typedefs in an UDF. This should be possible with autoItobject if I am not completely wrong.

But it would be much more user-friendly if it's not necassary to memorise all the included properties but to have code-completion for e.g. $myObj.veryLongPropertyNameWhichIsHardToMemorise ...

I got scite configured (in au3.properties) to notice call tips with leading dot, but this works only behind a blank, not after the $myObj ...?

Hope this was not asked before, but I have a question about usability:

is there a trick to use scite's auto-complete for objects? To be more precise: I would like to use something like c-style typedefs in an UDF. This should be possible with autoItobject if I am not completely wrong.

But it would be much more user-friendly if it's not necassary to memorise all the included properties but to have code-completion for e.g. $myObj.veryLongPropertyNameWhichIsHardToMemorise ...

I got scite configured (in au3.properties) to notice call tips with leading dot, but this works only behind a blank, not after the $myObj ...?

The object type isn't known to the editor, that means it will have to list all the members of all the objects available.

I don't know whether it's possible in SciTE, but it wouldn't make much sense to me.

The object type isn't known to the editor, that means it will have to list all the members of all the objects available.

I don't know whether it's possible in SciTE, but it wouldn't make much sense to me.

Yes, only useful if there would be a way to get ".veryLongPropertyNameWhichIsHardToMemorise" working for code-completion WITHOUT leading "$myobj". Adding ALL combinations of objects + members used in a specific sript to the usercalltips-file would be stupid - and also impossible (except maybe for "constant" objects used in the UDF).

Was just wondering if there is a tricky way to configure sciTe this way, since I got at least "dot"something working for code completion - by adding a dot in au3.properties behind default

autocomplete.au3.start.characters=$(chars.alpha)$(chars.numeric)$_@#.

But still useless until it needs a leading blank to be recognised by sciTe.

Edited by linus

• 4 weeks later...

Taking a look at jaberwockys ImageMagickObject using AutoItObject I wonder if I could use AutoItObject to implement an interface to IExtractImage.

To my knowledge implementing specific interfaces in most scripting languages is impossible because they have no support for compile time (early) binding. Certainly it's no problem to implement the methods with the same signature as interface requires but when the client tries something like this:

IExtractImage* pEI;
HBITBMAP hbm;
HRESULT hr = pUnknown->QueryInterface(IIDIExtractImage, &pEI);
if (SUCCEEDED(hr))
    pEI->Extract(&hbm);
it will run into error. There are some exceptions: WSH and MSSOAP help scripting runtimes with special module (XML) files, that describe implemented interfaces, Javascript supports object prototyping (kinda interface declaration). As long as AutoIt misses a comparable feature it is doubtful we would be able to implement external interfaces.

UDFS & Apps:

Spoiler

DDEML.au3 - DDE Client + Server
Localization.au3 - localize your scripts
TLI.au3 - type information on COM objects (TLBINF emulation)
TLBAutoEnum.au3 - auto-import of COM constants (enums)
AU3Automation - export AU3 scripts via COM interfaces
TypeLibInspector - OleView was yesterday

Coder's last words before final release: WE APOLOGIZE FOR INCONVENIENCE 

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, let me apologize in advance for obviously silly to most of you questions, as I'm a total newbie in programming. All my experience consist of only autoit scripting and all my learning is autoit help file, analyzing autoit's includes and other users scripts, that I find on the forums.

I loved this little udf: EASY Multidimensional Associative Arrays which enabled me to make my scripts so much more readable (especially to myself). From many random reads over the years on the nets, I gathered that OO programing is very good at making your code manageable and easily readable. That is my main prerogative, as most often what happens to me, is I write a script and use it for couple of months. Then comes the time, that script needs some updating/adjusting and I can't figure heads or tails of it, when I want to do that. I try to comment wholeheartedly, but often enough I wrote the function by using a snippet of code from some udf from the forums, etc. I did understand how it worked when I used/edited it for my script, but a couple of months later, it takes me ages to figure out whats what. Especially, when the script is long and complicated. It becomes such a mess...

Anyway, after that little udf made my life in autoit scripting so muych easier, I finally decided to look into AutoItObject UDF. Am I right to assume from the looks of it (I tried to analyse the provided examples), that AutoItObject enables to write SO much easier readable and manageable scripts? I know it's a silly question, but I repeat myself, I haven't got any real programing experience, that's why I'm asking. School was so long ago, it didn't have any computers back then :) In uni all my experience with computers was ~1-2 weeks of learning how to turn it on ;) (well, it was medical uni, long time ago, so no computer/classes, of course.)

Everything I read about about programing says OO is the way to go, pretty much always. I think all the excitement on this thread, kinda supports that statement? From the examples it looks, that the code sometimes gets longer, but way more readable and reusable?

Most important question would be: am I silly for even thinking about using AutoItObject, if I have no OO experience, have no idea what DLLs are and how poisonous they are, if you eat them? ;) Please be frank, and tell me to get my head examined, if that's a case. In my defense, I'm a quick study, but from my "no knowledge whatsoever" standpoint, I'm concerned if maybe you need to have at least some "professional" experience in programing and OO to use it?

Example:

Examining oLinkedList.au3 example which comes with AutoItObject.

#include "AutoitObject.au3"
Func __Element__($data, $NextEl = 0)
    $obj = DllCall($ghAutoItObjectDLL,"idispatch","CreateAutoItObject")
$obj = $obj[0]
    DllCall($ghAutoItObjectDLL,"none","AddProperty","idispatch",$obj,"wstr","next",'dword', 0, 'ptr', 0)
    DllCall($ghAutoItObjectDLL,"none","AddProperty","idispatch",$obj,"wstr","data",'dword', 0, 'ptr', 0)
    $obj.next = $NextEl
    $obj.data = $data

Return $obj
EndFunc   ;==>__Element__

Func LinkedList()
    Local $obj = _AutoItObject_Create()
    _AutoItObject_AddProperty($obj, "first")
    _AutoItObject_AddProperty($obj, "last")
    _AutoItObject_AddProperty($obj, "size")

_AutoItObject_AddMethod($obj, "count", "_LinkedList_count")
    _AutoItObject_AddMethod($obj, "add", "_LinkedList_add")
    _AutoItObject_AddMethod($obj, "at", "_LinkedList_at")
    _AutoItObject_AddMethod($obj, "remove", "_LinkedList_remove")

_AutoItObject_AddEnum($obj, "_LinkedList_EnumNext" ,"_LinkedList_EnumReset")

Return $obj
EndFunc   ;==>LinkedList

Func _LinkedList_remove($self, $index)
    $current = $self.first
    $previous = 0
    Local $i = 0
    Do
        If $i = $index Then
            If Not IsObj($previous) Then
                $self.first = $current.Next
            Else
                $previous.Next = $current.Next
            EndIf
            $self.size = $self.size - 1
            Return
        EndIf
        $i += 1
        $previous = $current
        $current = $current.Next
    Until $current.Next = 0
    Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_remove

Func _LinkedList_add($self, $newdata)
    Local $iSize = $self.size
    Local $oLast = $self.last
    If $iSize = 0 Then
        $self.first = __Element__($newdata)
        $self.last = $self.first
    Else
        $oLast.Next = __Element__($newdata)
        $self.last = $oLast.Next
    EndIf
    $self.size = $iSize + 1
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_add

Func _LinkedList_at($self, $index)
    Local $i = 0
    For $Element In $self
        If $i = $index Then Return $Element
        $i += 1
    Next
    Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_at

Func _LinkedList_count($self)
    Return $self.size
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_count

Func _LinkedList_EnumReset(ByRef $self, ByRef $iterator)
    $iterator = 0
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_EnumReset

Func _LinkedList_EnumNext(ByRef $self, ByRef $iterator)
    If Not IsObj($iterator) Then
        $iterator = $self.first
        Return $iterator.data
    EndIf
    If Not IsObj($iterator.Next) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    $iterator = $iterator.Next
    Return $iterator.data
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_EnumNext

;~ #CS Uncomment to run example!
_AutoItObject_Startup()
$ll = LinkedList()
For $i = 1 To 10
    $ll.add($i)
Next

$ll.remove(4)
$str = ""
For $e In $ll
    $str &= $e & @CRLF
Next
MsgBox(0, $ll.count, $str)
;~ #CE

Do I understand correctly?

Object properties are as variables in autoit, they have values and can be "neatly" accessed by using oObj.Property

Object methods are functions, which can be called in the same neat manner (I love this part) as oObj.Method

You create an object once and can copy it with all the properties and methods

Specific questions, that puzzle me:

In the oLinkedList.au3 example I don't see .next or .data methods (these are methods, right?) defined. Are they from some sort of "in-built" methods? Where can I find a list/documentation of them and their usage (I couldn't find it in AutoItObject.chm)?

Property obj.size is always set in $obj.add method, so why create obj.count (_LinkedList_count() function) which simply returns obj.size? Can't I simply always use obj.size to get the value? Confusing...

Object methods are functions with 2 parameters (_LinkedList_remove($self, $index)), but when you call the method, you call it with just 1 parameter, and the first parameter is ommited. I'm I understanding right, that the first parameter of the function, which defines the method is always $self, that is the object itself?

Thanks in advance. And for anyone who had the patience to read through all of it, sorry for such a long post.

I found a bug in oLinkedList.au3 example - the .remove method did not remove the last element:

$current = $self.first
    $previous = 0
    Local $i = 0
    Do
        If $i = $index Then
            Else
            EndIf
            Return
        EndIf
        $i += 1
        $previous = $current
        $current = $current.Next
    ;Until $current.Next = 0    ; <--- change this line
    Until $i = $self.size       ; <--- into this
    Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

It was confusing, coz Return SetError(1, 0, 0) was not passed on, and error check did not alarm me of the error. Question: is this a normal behavior, that when you call an objec'ts method, the error that function sets gets reset somewhere until method call returns? I mean, should I let's say, create additional parameter for an object $obj.LastError and set the error code to that property, to be able to check for it after method call returns?

Edited by shEiD

I found a bug in oLinkedList.au3 example - the .remove method did not remove the last element:

$current = $self.first
    $previous = 0
    Local $i = 0
    Do
        If $i = $index Then
            Else
            EndIf
            Return
        EndIf
        $i += 1
        $previous = $current
        $current = $current.Next
    ;Until $current.Next = 0    ; <--- change this line
    Until $i = $oSelf.size      ; <--- into this
    Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

It was confusing, coz Return SetError(1, 0, 0) was not passed on, and error check did not alarm me of the error. Question: is this a normal behavior, that when you call an objec'ts method, the error that function sets gets reset somewhere until method call returns? I mean, should I let's say, create additional parameter for an object $obj.LastError and set the error code to that property, to be able to check for it after method call returns?

You have __error__ property at disposal by default. Modified example :
_AutoItObject_Startup()
$ll = LinkedList()
For $i = 1 To 10
    $ll.add($i)
Next

$ll.remove(123) ;<- 123 is out of range (anything above 9 in this case)
ConsoleWrite("!error = " & $ll.__error__ & @CRLF)

$str = ""
For $e In $ll
    $str &= $e & @CRLF
Next
MsgBox(0, $ll.count, $str)

Btw, thanks.

edit: eng

Edited by trancexx

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

Object methods are functions with 2 parameters (_LinkedList_remove($self, $index)), but when you call the method, you call it with just 1 parameter, and the first parameter is ommited. I'm I understanding right, that the first parameter of the function, which defines the method is always $self, that is the object itself?

Yes. This was monoceres's choice. It could have been implemented differently. To resemble some other languages he uses, I suppose.

Semantics.

@wraithduu

No.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

Something really confusing: using the same oLinkedList.au3 example (btw, loving it and using it extensively, thank You so much):

If I use the linked list to store objects and then delete the linked list, for some reason the destructor for (once again) last element does not get triggered... ;)

#include "oLinkedList.au3"

If $ghAutoItObjectDLL < 0 Then _AutoItObject_StartUp()

$ll = LinkedList()
For $i = 1 To 10
    $obj = Test()
    Sleep(100)
    $obj.Name = 'test object ' & $i
    ConsoleWrite('-(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ')' & @TAB & 'object (' & $obj.Name & ') added' & @CRLF)
    $ll.add($obj)
Next

$ll = 0
Exit

Func Test()
    Local $oClassObject = _AutoItObject_Class()
    $oClassObject.Create()
    $oClassObject.AddProperty("Name")
    $oClassObject.AddDestructor("__Test__Destructor")
    Return $oClassObject.Object
EndFunc   ;==>Test

Func __Test__Destructor($oSelf)
    ConsoleWrite('!(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ')' & @TAB & 'destructing object(' & $oSelf.Name & ')' & @CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>__Test__Destructor

PS, @trancexx, thanks for the answers.

Edited by shEiD

Something really confusing: using the same oLinkedList.au3 example (btw, loving it and using it extensively, thank You so much):

If I use the linked list to store objects and then delete the linked list, for some reason the destructor for (once again) last element does not get triggered... ;)

If $ghAutoItObjectDLL < 0 Then _AutoItObject_StartUp()

$ll = LinkedList()
For $i = 1 To 10
    $obj = Test()
    Sleep(100)
    ConsoleWrite('-(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ')' & @TAB & 'object (' & $obj.Name & ') added' & @CRLF)
    $ll.add($obj)
Next

$ll = 0
Exit

Func Test()
    $oClassObject.Create()
EndFunc   ;==>Test

ConsoleWrite('!(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ')' & @TAB & 'destructing object(' & $oSelf.Name & ')' & @CRLF)

PS, @trancexx, thanks for the answers.

Try this as _LinkedList_Remove:

Func _LinkedList_Remove($oSelf, $iIndex)
    Local $iSize = $oSelf.size
    If $iIndex >= $iSize Then Return SetError(1, 0, False)
    Local $oCurrent = $oSelf.first
    Local $oPrevious
    #forceref $oPrevious
    For $i = 0 To $iSize - 1
        If $i = $iIndex Then
            If $i = $iSize - 1 Then
                If $iSize = 1 Then Return SetError(-1, 0, False) ;<- ! special case
                If IsObj($oSelf.at($i)) Then SetError(-2) ;<- ! another special case
            EndIf
            $oPrevious.next = $oCurrent.next
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
        $oPrevious = $oCurrent
        $oCurrent = $oCurrent.next
    Next
    $oSelf.size = $oSelf.size - 1
    Return True
EndFunc

It deals wit all special cases that could occur and should be faster.

By using that function you can check __error__ property and see what happens when you try to remove members.

As for not releasing last objects. That's like cyclic reference issue. You need to add Release method for your objects.

_AutoItObject_StartUp()

$ll = LinkedList()
For $i = 1 To 10
    $obj = Test()
    Sleep(100)
    $ll.add($obj)
Next

$olast = $ll.at($ll.size - 1)
$olast.Release()
$ll = 0
Exit

Func Test()
    $oClassObject.Create()
    $oClassObject.AddMethod("Release", "__Test__Destructor")
EndFunc   ;==>Test

Somebody will rewrite oLinkedList.au3 for the new release whenever that be.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

I won't pretend that I work with linked lists with any regularity, but is there a reason you don't remove the last element in the list (size = 1)? Can't you just set size, first, and last to 0?

If $iSize = 0 Then Return SetError(1, 0, False)
    If $iIndex >= $iSize Then Return SetError(2, 0, False)
    Local $oPrevious
    #forceref $oPrevious
    For $i = 0 To $iSize - 1
        If $i = $iIndex Then
            If $i = $iSize - 1 Then
                If IsObj($oSelf.at($i)) Then SetError(-1) ;<- ! another special case
                If $iSize = 1 Then
                    ;Return SetError(-1, 0, False) ;<- ! special case
                    $oSelf.first = 0
                    $oSelf.last = 0
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            EndIf
            $oPrevious.Next = $oCurrent.Next
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
        $oPrevious = $oCurrent
        $oCurrent = $oCurrent.Next
    Next
    Return True
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_Remove
Edited by wraithdu

I've found a bug in _AutoItObject_AddProperty. You use the @NumParams macro to test for setting data in vData. However if vData is not explicitly passed to the function, then the default value of 0 is ignored, and vData = "". So, maybe not a bug as much as an error in the documentation / function header.

Also, _LinkedList_EnumNext should test if $iterator is an object after '$iterator = $self.first'. Currently, if you use 'For $ea in $ll' before adding an element to the list, you get an infinite loop. Or just test the $self.size <> 0, yeah, that's probably easier.

I won't pretend that I work with linked lists with any regularity, but is there a reason you don't remove the last element in the list (size = 1)? Can't you just set size, first, and last to 0?

If $iIndex >= $iSize Then Return SetError(1, 0, False)
    Local $oPrevious
    #forceref $oPrevious
    For $i = 0 To $iSize - 1
        If $i = $iIndex Then
            If $i = $iSize - 1 Then
                If IsObj($oSelf.at($i)) Then SetError(-1) ;<- ! another special case
                If $iSize = 1 Then
                    ;Return SetError(-1, 0, False) ;<- ! special case
                    $oSelf.first = 0
                    $oSelf.last = 0
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            EndIf
            $oPrevious.Next = $oCurrent.Next
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
        $oPrevious = $oCurrent
        $oCurrent = $oCurrent.Next
    Next
    Return True
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_Remove

Are you removing it? Or replacing it?

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

$oSelf.size is reduced to 0, so it is effectively removed. The test in the _Add function is 'If $iSize = 0'. $oSelf.first and .last set to 0 also removes it as they are not objects any more. Adding 'If $self.size = 0 Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)' to the first line of the _EnumNext fixes any other issues. See above again for an edit to the _Remove function that also tests $iSize = 0.

Edited by wraithdu

$oSelf.size is reduced to 0, so it is effectively removed. The test in the _Add function is 'If $iSize = 0'. $oSelf.first and .last set to 0 also removes it as they are not objects any more. Adding 'If $self.size = 0 Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)' to the first line of the _EnumNext fixes any other issues. See above again for an edit to the _Remove function that also tests $iSize = 0.

Other functions should probably be rethinked. I wish monoceres shows up eventually, this is his area.

Could you go thru the rest of that UDF?

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

I think this should work correctly. Another set of eyes please?

EDIT

Wait, more edits coming...

Ok, now take a look.

#include-once
#include <AutoItObject.au3>

Func __Element__($data, $NextEl = 0)
    Local $obj = DllCall($ghAutoItObjectDLL, "idispatch", "CreateAutoItObject")
    $obj = $obj[0]
    DllCall($ghAutoItObjectDLL, "none", "AddProperty", "idispatch", $obj, "wstr", "Next", 'dword', 0, 'ptr', 0)
    DllCall($ghAutoItObjectDLL, "none", "AddProperty", "idispatch", $obj, "wstr", "data", 'dword', 0, 'ptr', 0)
    $obj.next = $NextEl
    $obj.data = $data
    Return $obj
EndFunc   ;==>__Element__

Func LinkedList()
    Local $obj = _AutoItObject_Create()
    _AutoItObject_AddProperty($obj, "first", $ELSCOPE_PUBLIC, 0)
    _AutoItObject_AddProperty($obj, "last", $ELSCOPE_PUBLIC, 0)
    _AutoItObject_AddProperty($obj, "size", $ELSCOPE_PUBLIC, 0)

_AutoItObject_AddMethod($obj, "count", "_LinkedList_count")
    _AutoItObject_AddMethod($obj, "add", "_LinkedList_add")
    _AutoItObject_AddMethod($obj, "at", "_LinkedList_at")
    _AutoItObject_AddMethod($obj, "remove", "_LinkedList_remove")

_AutoItObject_AddEnum($obj, "_LinkedList_EnumNext", "_LinkedList_EnumReset")

Return $obj
EndFunc   ;==>LinkedList

If $self.size = 0 Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    Local $current = $self.first
    Local $previous = 0
    Local $i = 0
    Do
        If $i = $index Then
            If $self.size = 1 Then
                ; very last element
                $self.first = 0
                $self.last = 0
            ElseIf $i = 0 Then
                ; first element
                $self.first = $current.next
            Else
                If $i = $self.size - 1 Then $self.last = $previous ; last element
                $previous.next = $current.next
            EndIf
            Return
        EndIf
        $i += 1
        $previous = $current
        $current = $current.next
    Until $current = 0
    Return SetError(2, 0, 0)

Func _LinkedList_add($self, $newdata)
    Local $iSize = $self.size
    Local $oLast = $self.last
    If $iSize = 0 Then
        $self.first = __Element__($newdata)
        $self.last = $self.first
    Else
        $oLast.next = __Element__($newdata)
        $self.last = $oLast.next
    EndIf
    $self.size = $iSize + 1
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_add

Func _LinkedList_at($self, $index)
    Local $i = 0
    For $Element In $self
        If $i = $index Then Return $Element
        $i += 1
    Next
    Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_at

Func _LinkedList_count($self)
    Return $self.size
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_count

Func _LinkedList_EnumReset(ByRef $self, ByRef $iterator)
    #forceref $self
    $iterator = 0
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_EnumReset

Func _LinkedList_EnumNext(ByRef $self, ByRef $iterator)
    If $self.size = 0 Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    If Not IsObj($iterator) Then
        $iterator = $self.first
        Return $iterator.data
    EndIf
    If Not IsObj($iterator.next) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    $iterator = $iterator.next
    Return $iterator.data
EndFunc   ;==>_LinkedList_EnumNext
Edited by wraithdu

I also figured out shEiD's problem. It's not that you need a release method, it's that his/her example still had a lingering reference to the last object. This works fine:

_AutoItObject_Startup()

$ll = LinkedList()
For $i = 1 To 10
    $obj = Test()
    $ll.add($obj)
Next
; this is the problem with global variables
; make sure to release this reference to the last object!
$obj = 0

$ll = 0
Exit

Func Test()
    $oClassObject.Create()
EndFunc   ;==>Test

Edited by wraithdu