Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sn3akyP3t3

Autoit Debug, Info, Error, Trace, and Event Logging

3 posts in this topic

Its been asked before and I can't seem to find any UDF or built in feature with support for Logging in AutoIt, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask and spark some focus on the matter.

Applications built for in house use to be run by those that develop them really isn't an issue. It becomes useful to troubleshoot an application if it utilizes some sort of Logging. It is feasible to write functions to support such a need, but I would be pleased if I could find someone who is a far better programmer than I had visited this so I don't have to divert attention and implement it into projects.

What I'm looking for is something similar to NLog or Log4Net with the ability to log events as they happen for ease of troubleshooting if an application fails.

I'm aware of

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

but that isn't useful if the end user is not the developer and where screenshots are not desired.

I'm not trying to compare Autoit to .NET in any way. I'm just trying to achieve logging capabilities that match those applications mentioned.

I have considered AutoItX and recoding the project in .NET except for the components that are essentially AutoIt only capable, but that is a bit extreme for my immediate needs.

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

Func _log($message)
    If $logging Then ; global variable where you can globally switch OFF/ON logging
     FileWriteLine(@ScriptDir & '\file.log', @YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & " --> " & $message)
    EndIf
EndFunc

In your source code add calling this function at places where you need logging:

Global $logging = true

_log('starting compression ...')
_log('compression done.')
Edited by Zedna

General debug support ...

- See Debug.au3 AutoIt UDF.

- See the ALT-D tool in Scite. (and, if needed, rewrite it a bit to fit your own needs.)

- See alternative debuggers.

Or ... roll your own debugger code.

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• nikink
      By nikink
      Hi all,
      I have a bit of code that works on my old Win10 PC, that fails on my new Win10 PC, and I think the only significant difference is the version of Autoit - old PC has 3.3.12, new has 3.3.14.
      I couldn't find anything mentioned in the change logs though, so perhaps I'm wrong.
      Anyway, the code to replicate my issue is:
      Test('username', 'DOMAIN') ; THIS ERRORS: ;Test('localun', 'DOMAIN') ; THIS ERRORS: ;Test(' ', ' ') ; THIS ERRORS: ;Test('', '') ; THIS ERRORS: ;Test('localun', '') ; THIS ERRORS: ;Test('', 'DOMAIN') Func Test($un, $dom) $compName = 'PCNAME' $FullName = '.' $Description = '.' ; get the WIM object $objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & $compName & "\root\cimv2") ; get default user full name and description $objAccount = $objWMIService.Get("Win32_UserAccount.Name='" & $un & "',Domain='" & $dom & "'") If IsObj($objAccount) Then $FullName = $objAccount.FullName $Description = $objAccount.Description EndIf ConsoleWrite($FullName & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite($Description & @CRLF) Return EndFunc  
      On my old PC this code will output just . and . for each of those line currently commented out. Which is fine.
      On my new PC any of those commented out lines of code cause an error, and the script won't even compile.
      $objAccount = $objWMIService.Get("Win32_UserAccount.Name='" & $un & "',Domain='" & $dom & "'") $objAccount = $objWMIService^ ERROR I'm very much a newb with the WMI stuff and objects, but it looks like the .Get property is failing when either $un or $dom aren't valid in v3.3.14, whereas in 3.3.12 the .Get would fail to return an object, which is then caught by the If statement.
      Am I on track with this? Is there some new/better way to code the example so that 3.3.14 will compile it?
    • RC86
      By RC86
      Hi all,
      Bit of a fun one with querying WMI objects and setting errors within a function.  Below is example code that I've used from JSThePatriot previous UDFs but the example would apply to many other scenarios.  Basically the SetError should be called if $colItems is not an object as a result of the WMI query.  This is then used to create a corresponding error message.
      I've tried disabling WMIC thus forcing it to not be an object, but rather than catching the error and telling me about it, the code simply fails therefore surely making the purpose of the logging useless??  I've experienced this before but in other languages such as java i would use a try catch etc and get around this....any suggestions for its use in AutoIT?

Thanks

#region Header #comments-start Title: Computer Information Automation UDF Library for AutoIt3 - EXAMPLES Filename: CompInfoExamples.au3 Description: Examples using the UDF's from CompInfo.au3 Author: Jarvis J. Stubblefield (JSThePatriot) http://www.vortexrevolutions.com/ Version: 00.03.08 Last Update: 11.09.06 Requirements: AutoIt v3.2 +, Developed/Tested on WindowsXP Pro Service Pack 2 Notes: Errors associated with incorrect objects will be common user errors. AutoIt beta 3.1.1.63 has added an ObjName() function that will be used to trap and report most of these errors. Special thanks to Firestorm (Testing, Use), Koala (Testing, Bug Fix), and everyone else that has helped in the creation of this Example File. #comments-end #endregion Header #region Global Variables and Constants If Not(IsDeclared("$cI_CompName")) Then Global $cI_CompName = @ComputerName EndIf Global Const $cI_VersionInfo = "00.03.08" Global Const $cI_aName = 0, _ $cI_aDesc = 4 Global $wbemFlagReturnImmediately = 0x10, _ ;DO NOT CHANGE $wbemFlagForwardOnly = 0x20 ;DO NOT CHANGE Global $ERR_NO_INFO = "Array contains no information", _ $ERR_NOT_OBJ = "$colItems isnt an object" #endregion Global Variables and Constants #Region Boot Configuration Dim $BootConfig _ComputerGetBootConfig($BootConfig) If @error Then $error = @error $extended = @extended Switch $extended Case 1 _ErrorMsg($ERR_NO_INFO) Case 2 _ErrorMsg($ERR_NOT_OBJ) EndSwitch EndIf For $i = 1 To $BootConfig[0][0] Step 1 MsgBox(0, "Test _ComputerGetBootConfig", "Name: " & $BootConfig[$i][0] & @CRLF & _ "Boot Directory: " & $BootConfig[$i][1] & @CRLF & _ "Configuration Path: " & $BootConfig[$i][2] & @CRLF & _ "Last Drive: " & $BootConfig[$i][3] & @CRLF & _ "Description: " & $BootConfig[$i][4] & @CRLF & _ "Scratch Directory: " & $BootConfig[$i][5] & @CRLF & _ "Setting ID: " & $BootConfig[$i][6] & @CRLF & _ "Temp Directory: " & $BootConfig[$i][7]) Next #endregion Boot Configuration #region ---- Internal Functions Func _ErrorMsg($message, $time = 0) MsgBox(48 + 262144, "Error!", $message, $time) ConsoleWrite("Error!" & $message & $time & @CRLF) EndFunc #endregion Internal Functions Func _ComputerGetBootConfig(ByRef $aBootConfigInfo) Local $colItems, $objWMIService, $objItem Dim $aBootConfigInfo[1][8], $i = 1 $objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & $cI_Compname & "\root\CIMV2") $colItems = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_BootConfiguration", "WQL", $wbemFlagReturnImmediately + $wbemFlagForwardOnly) If IsObj($colItems) Then For $objItem In $colItems ReDim $aBootConfigInfo[UBound($aBootConfigInfo) + 1][8] $aBootConfigInfo[$i][0] = $objItem.Name $aBootConfigInfo[$i][1] = $objItem.BootDirectory $aBootConfigInfo[$i][2] = $objItem.ConfigurationPath $aBootConfigInfo[$i][3] = $objItem.LastDrive $aBootConfigInfo[$i][4] = $objItem.Description $aBootConfigInfo[$i][5] = $objItem.ScratchDirectory $aBootConfigInfo[$i][6] = $objItem.SettingID $aBootConfigInfo[$i][7] = $objItem.TempDirectory $i += 1 Next $aBootConfigInfo[0][0] = UBound($aBootConfigInfo) - 1 If $aBootConfigInfo[0][0] < 1 Then SetError(1, 1, 0) EndIf Else SetError(1, 2, 0) EndIf EndFunc ;_ComputerGetBootConfig  
    • careca
      By careca
      Hi, having an issue with an application i did, seems to crash randomly, and can take hours to do so.
      Simply says in the error msgbox:
      AutoIt Error
      Line 16392 (whatevermyapppath.exe)
      Error: The requested action with this object has failed.

Recent changes to the script include this:

ObjGet("winmgmts:\\localhost\root\CIMV2") $oSelect_active_network_cards = $objWMIService.ExecQuery('SELECT ProductName FROM Win32_NetworkAdapter WHERE NetConnectionStatus = 2 OR NetConnectionStatus = 9', "WQL") For $oSelect_active_network_card In $oSelect_active_network_cards $Adapter = $oSelect_active_network_card.ProductName Next Is the only thing i can see that can be related to an "object"
      This lines run only once at the top of the script.
      When i run the script itself and wait for a crash, it doesn't, or at least yet i didn't.
      What do you think this error could be?
      UPDATE: Runing the script eventually output this:
      "C:\script.au3" (894) : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.:
      $oNetwork_cards = $objWMIService.ExecQuery('SELECT BytesReceivedPerSec, BytesSentPerSec FROM Win32_PerfFormattedData_Tcpip_NetworkInterface WHERE name LIKE "' & $Adapter & '"', "WQL")
      $oNetwork_cards = $objWMIService^ ERROR
    • argumentum
      By argumentum
      UDF to intercept the error window of AutoIt, showing more details about the error, including ability to save and send by email!
    • SkysLastChance
      By SkysLastChance
      I get this error, Whenever I try to find a date. Does anyone have any idea why? I saw some post from 2015, However I would imagine this is fixed by now. @water
      >"J:\Temporary Files\XXXXXXXXX\AutoIt\AutoIt\AutoIt\SciTe\..\autoit3.exe" /ErrorStdOut "C:\Users\XXXXXX\Desktop\Call Report Automation.au3"     "J:\Temporary Files\XXXXXXXX\AutoIt\AutoIt\AutoIt\Include\Excel.au3" (656) : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.: $aResult[$iIndex][1] = $oMatch.Name.Name $aResult[$iIndex][1] = $oMatch^ ERROR >Exit code: 1    Time: 5.791 #include <Excel.au3> Global $sExcelFile1 = FileOpenDialog("Choose/Create Excel File", @ScriptDir, "(*.xlsm)") Global $sExcelFile2 = FileOpenDialog("Choose/Create Excel File", @ScriptDir, "Excel Sheet (*.xlsx;*.xls)|All (*.*)") If FileExists($sExcelFile2) Then Global $oExcel2 = _Excel_Open () $oExcel2 = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel2,$sExcelFile2) EndIF If FileExists($sExcelFile1) Then Global $oExcel1 = _Excel_Open () $oExcel1 = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel1,$sExcelFile1,Default,Default,"2007") EndIF $oRead = _Excel_RangeRead ($oExcel2,Default,"A2",3) _Excel_RangeWrite ($oExcel1,"Calls Handled",$oRead,"BY7") Sleep (1000) _Excel_RangeFind ($oExcel1,$oRead,"E4:FD92") MsgBox (0,"Test",$oRead) UPDATE:
      If I take out this line it works. By works I mean I don't get the error. :/  However, I need it. I am just confused.
      _Excel_RangeWrite ($oExcel1,"Calls Handled",$oRead,"BY7")  
      UPDATE 2: I also get this error when trying to use the helpfile examples. I have version 3.3.14.2
      \AutoIt\AutoIt\AutoIt\Include\Excel.au3" (670) : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.: $oSheet = $oWorkbook.Sheets($iIndexSheets) $oSheet = $oWorkbook^ ERROR >Exit code: 1 Time: 0.8931