Sign in to follow this  
faldo

Variable limits

faldo

Heya,

I'm trying to figure out how to work around a problem with the limitations of variables and would like some help.

I've extracted a number from a database with an SQL-UDF as follows:

$iRval = _SQL_GetTable2D(-1, "SELECT table FROM database ORDER BY id", $var, $iRows, $iColumns)

This results is an array of variables and the one i need is a value with 26 numbers.

When i call on this value, the value seems to big for a variable and the result is flawed.

As demonstration, the same problem occurs in the following example:

$var= 11111111111111111111111111
MsgBox(0, "", $var)

The message box doesn't display 11111111111111111111111111 unless i make a string out of it.

Thankfull for any suggerstions.

Cheers

Edited by faldo

Melba23

faldo,

Do you want to display the big number or actually do some operations on it? :)

If the former then you already have the solution - if the latter then the BigNum UDF might be the solution. I have no experience of using it myself - please let me know if you find it useful. ;)

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

BrewManNH

Is the 26 digit number actually a number or is it a string made up of numbers? Because if it's a string made up of numbers, you should be referencing it as a string. If it's an actual number you should use scientific notation to reference it.

Sounds like a 26 digit number is too large to display using even 64 bits.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

faldo

Thanx for the quick responses.

The following code displays my use of the variable ($var):

$iRval = _SQL_GetTable2D(-1, "SELECT table1 FROM database ORDER BY id", $var, $iRows, $iColumns)
$hData = _SQL_Execute(-1, "SELECT table2 FROM database where id=" & $var[1][0])
_SQL_FetchData($hData, $aRow)

$var[1][0] contains a 26 digit value and everything seems OK after the first line but when i use this variable as reference to get data from another field i get the same behavior as i get when trying to display a 26 digit value in a messagebox like the example i showed above.

If i could somehow convert the value in $var[1][0] to a string my problem would be solved.

@BrewManNH: the 26 digit number is a value from a field in the database, with value i mean 1234 as compared to the string "1234".

@Melba23: i want to use the variable in another operation but it seems it gets distorted due to the maximum value-limit in a variable.

Edit: Btw, if the data in the DB-field contains a value of 10 digits, i don't get any problems, that's why i narrowed it down to the limitations of the variable itself.

Edited by faldo

BrewManNH

$var[1][0] = String($var[1][0])

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

faldo

$var[1][0] = String($var[1][0])

That didn't seem to work...

To see what i mean, compare these two scripts:

$var = 11111111111111111111111111
MsgBox(0, "", $var )

$var = 1111111111111111111
MsgBox(0, "", $var )

It seems a variable can't contain a value higher than 9223372036854775807

Even if i do a $var[1][0] = String($var[1][0]) the result is a value in the variable, i need it to be a string.

Edited by faldo

faldo

I solved the issue with a workaround, i instructed the SQL-querry to convert the value to a string:

_SQL_GetTable2D(-1, "SELECT CAST(col1 AS char) FROM table ORDER BY id", $var, $iRows, $iColumns)

Cheers!

Edited by faldo

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Skeletor
      By Skeletor
      Hi Guys,
      Is it possible to get a variable on your For..Next loop? 

Local $Lines1 = _FileCountLines(C:\temp\test.txt) Local $linesToCount2 = $Lines1 + 2 $var = Number($linesToCount2) For $count = 1 To _FileCountLines($FileRead2) Step 1 For $i = $var To $count Next ;Code does stuff here Next Somehow my code doesn't work even though I thought I could convert the variable to a Integer / Number.
      This code I posted above does not move to the next value.
      But the code below does... why is that?
      For $count = 1 To _FileCountLines($FileRead2) Step 1 For $i = 2 To $count Next ;Code does stuff here Next  
      Why is the For loop resetting itself?
      Is it because the program does not cache the variable and needs to keep on acquiring this variable each time?
      If so , how would you make this variable static?

• Miliardsto
      By Miliardsto
      I got that func
      Func makeHelpImgGUI($title,$width,$height,$img) $img = GUICtrlCreatePic("",20,40,$width,$height) _ResourceSetImageToCtrl($img, "HERE") EndFunc and I call this func like that
      makeHelpImgGUI("Image",1190, 800,$SETTINGS_JPG)  
      so what is the problem in the parameter where is - "HERE" I need value of img but passed as string
      so $img = $SETTINGS_JPG and how make it "SETTINGS_JPG"

I tried something like that but not work
      Func makeHelpImgGUI($title,$width,$height,$img) $name_str = String($img) $name_str = StringTrimLeft ($name_str, 1 ) $img = GUICtrlCreatePic("",20,40,$width,$height) _ResourceSetImageToCtrl($img, $name_str) EndFunc  
    • Blois
      By Blois
      Hi Guys,
      Fine?
      I have this code and I use it to perform the query, however when I change the query to INSERT it is not working return error.

#include <GUIConstants.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <Array.au3> Global $oErrorHandler = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "_ErrFunc") Example() Func Example()     Local $dbname = FileOpenDialog("Choose Access Database", @ScriptDir, "Access files (*.accdb)", 1)     If @error then Return SetError(@error, @extended, 0)     $adoCon = ObjCreate("ADODB.Connection")     $adoCon.Open("Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)}; DBQ=" & $dbname & ";Uid=;Pwd=;")     $adoRs = ObjCreate("ADODB.Recordset")     GUICreate("listview items", 550, 250, 100, 200, -1, $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES)     Local $idListview = GUICtrlCreateListView("Codigo    |Nome         |Valor  ", 10, 10, 520, 150) ;,$LVS_SORTDESCENDING     $queryInsert = INSERT INTO TABLENAME VALUES (''aaaaa'', ''bbbbbb'', ''cccccc'')     Local $aResult     With $adoRs         .CursorType = 2         .LockType = 3         .Open($queryInsert, $adoCon)         If @error Then             ; deal with Probable SQL error             Return SetError(1)         EndIf         If Not .EOF Then $aResult = .GetRows()         .Close()     EndWith     $adoRs = 0     _ArrayDisplay($aResult, 'UBound($aResult)=' & UBound($aResult))     For $iRow_idx = 0 To UBound($aResult) - 1         GUICtrlCreateListViewItem($aResult[$iRow_idx][0], $idListview)     Next     $adoCon.Close     GUISetState()     ; Loop until the user exits.     While 1         Switch GUIGetMsg()             Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE                 ExitLoop ;~             Case $idButton ;~                 MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "listview item", GUICtrlRead(GUICtrlRead($idListview)), 2)             Case $idListview                 MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "listview", "clicked=" & GUICtrlGetState($idListview), 2)         EndSwitch     WEnd EndFunc   ;==>Example ; User's COM error function. Will be called if COM error occurs Func _ErrFunc($oError)     ; Do anything here.     ConsoleWrite(@ScriptName & " (" & $oError.scriptline & ") : ==> COM Error intercepted !" & @CRLF & _             @TAB & "err.number is: " & @TAB & @TAB & "0x" & Hex($oError.number) & @CRLF & _             @TAB & "err.windescription:" & @TAB & $oError.windescription & @CRLF & _             @TAB & "err.description is: " & @TAB & $oError.description & @CRLF & _             @TAB & "err.source is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.source & @CRLF & _             @TAB & "err.helpfile is: " & @TAB & $oError.helpfile & @CRLF & _             @TAB & "err.helpcontext is: " & @TAB & $oError.helpcontext & @CRLF & _             @TAB & "err.lastdllerror is: " & @TAB & $oError.lastdllerror & @CRLF & _             @TAB & "err.scriptline is: " & @TAB & $oError.scriptline & @CRLF & _             @TAB & "err.retcode is: " & @TAB & "0x" & Hex($oError.retcode) & @CRLF & @CRLF) EndFunc   ;==>_ErrFunc Help, Please!

• xiantez
      By xiantez
      This script used to work on an older version of AutoIT. Currently I am running AutoIT v3.3.14.5 and it's failing.
      Func PublicIP() ;Post public facing IP address Local $url = 'https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=what+is+my+ip&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8' Local $getIPaddress = BinaryToString(InetRead($url)) Local $sStart = 'clamp:2">' Local $sEnd = '</div>' Local $ipaddress = _StringBetween($getIPaddress, $sStart, $sEnd For $i In $ipaddress MsgBox(0, 'External IP', "Your public IP address is " & $i) Next EndFunc ;==>PublicIP The console output shows:
      "C:\Users\user\Documents\AutoIT\Scripts\WSI Tools.au3" (197) : ==> Variable must be of type "Object".: For $i In $ipaddress For $i In $ipaddress^ ERROR ->14:12:16 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:1 +>14:12:16 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished. >Exit code: 1 Time: 9.811
    • TheSaint
      By TheSaint
      Only early days at this point, but I have been pondering such a program for a while.
      As good as calibre is (thank you Kovid Goyal), which is a great and wonderful ebook suite of tools and a fair database, it does have its limitations. One of which, is how it deals with multiple libraries, another is the views you get. CalibBrowser will seek to address those.
      What CalibBrowser is not going to be, is an editor for existing calibre libraries. That will be left up to calibre, which is very much needed still, and covers many aspects I will never look at. Unlike calibre, which is quite a complex program, CalibBrowser also seeks to be simple. It is mainly a viewer, at this point, but will later be able to create its own libraries. However, it does not and will not export them to calibre, especially as calibre employs a far different method and structure to what CalibBrowser will employ.
      When CalibBrowser starts, it looks for calibre executables and the main Calibre Library. Whatever isn't found, you get prompted for with a browse option.
      A calibre library, is a set of ebook folders (Author\Ebooks) and a database file, always named metadata.db, and which causes an issue when it comes to multiple libraries, but makes life a bit easier when reconstructing any corrupted libraries. However, there are better ways to deal with that, as my program will show.
      The metadata.db file is an SQL database, so I am having a learning curve right now, as I have only ever dealt with an SQL database previously, codewise, when I created my INItoSQL program some time last year, as an exercise to prove a point.
      At the moment, things are pretty basic, and not everything works 100%. Here is a screenshot, to give an idea of it, but keep in mind, I intend to expand the current GUI for other stuff I will be adding.

Older Screenshots
      Gawd, I just noticed the '3|7' in the Book Input field (original screenshot). I was using that during troubleshooting for the multiple images scrolling and forgot to disable it ... not that it impacts anything. When it comes to maths, I struggle a bit, especially when tired. Right scrolling was easy, with a continuous loop, was easy to implement. Left scrolling was significantly harder for my poor brain ... until I realized I needed to see them as Min and Max.
      As you can see the program is usable, and all the buttons, aside from the Program Information one, work. You can even load different calibre libraries, and even reload after making changes to one with calibre. The calibre program does not need to be running, even to view an ebook in the Calibre Reader. The combo selector for a library and the ADD button are only temporarily placed where they are, until I expand the GUI.
      My intention at this point, is to add another five thumbnail images, directly below existing. Currently they aren't clickable, but I may add that.
      Here is another screenshot, of what you see when you click the larger Cover image.

If you want to have a play with the program as is, then you will need to also get the 'sqlite3.dll' file from some online source. When CalibBrowser starts successfully with the selected calibre library, it copies its metadata.db file to a sub-folder of the program called 'Backups'. It also creates a sub-folder in that, based on the library name, to house it. That copied file, is the one the program uses, though it does not even edit that, and file modification is checked every time the program starts with a particular library, or when you Reload or select a library. If the original source file has been modified, then the program copy is overwritten. The Reload Database button does nothing, if there is no change detected, and reports such.
      Place the required 'sqlite3.dll' file in the CalibBrowser root folder. Download includes source files (sqlite3.dll excepted).
      Also required of course, is an install of calibre, plus some ebooks in a created library - Calibre Library is the default when you first add ebooks to calibre. The Mobile Read Forums, is a great source for all things ebook, and calibre can be found there in the E-Book Software section.
      CalibBrowser.zip  - Upload 4  (previous downloads: 1 + 12 + 5)
      My apologies for the program being created in AutoIt v3.3.0.0. It is the first one I have done in a while, with an older AutoIt version. Basically my Win 7 Netbook, which has a current version of AutoIt, was busy and is always busy doing something, and not suitable for doing big projects for several reasons. My older but more powerful Win XP Laptop, has a better programming environment, better computer chair (most important for my knees etc), better external monitor (wider and newish), full size external keyboard & mouse, and a great suite of setup tools to assist me. I run several older versions of AutoIt already on my Laptop, but haven't yet determined what I need to adjust to add a current version of AutoIt to the mix. This also applies to my hugely beneficial Toolbar For Any program (one of those tools), which I constantly use with SciTE. At some point, when finished, I may update the program to the current AutoIt version ... especially as I believe I am now proficient enough to do so, having become quite familiar with it in the last year or so, making many programs with it.
      Enjoy!